XDEA for buprenorphine in CO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm.D2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is XDEA required for SL buprenorphine in CO if prescribed for pain? I can't find any specific rule or law stating one way or the other

Members don't see this ad.

No, only needed for detox. I don't think state law governs this. Only federal law

Last edited:
Is XDEA required for SL buprenorphine in CO if prescribed for pain? I can't find any specific rule or law stating one way or the other
I don’t know if anyone needs an NADEAN anymore, but whether the DEA is cool with Dept of HHS changing that is somewhat unclear.

and even when they did:
Prescribing Buprenorphine for Pain
Neither the CSA nor its implementing regulations expressly prohibit the prescribing and dispensing of buprenorphine or other opiate products for the treatment of pain. Federal regulations do require that controlled substances be prescribed for a legitimate medical purpose by a DEA registered practitioner acting in the usual course of his or her professional practice. 21 CFR 1306.04(a). If a DEA registered practitioner issues a prescription for a buprenorphine drug product approved by the FDA for the treatment of pain, or off-label prescribes a buprenorphine drug product approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for maintenance or detoxification treatment for the treatment of pain, then the UIN or “X” Number is not required. Please note that the specific prescribing or dispensing of certain buprenorphine products for pain may be considered “off-label” use. DEA cannot address any possible consequences under the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C) for dispensing for unapproved (off-label) uses.

Reactions: 1 user