Rude Email from Professor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RackingHorse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have been registering or at least trying to register for classes for the upcoming semester. I have been having problems with conflicting class times so I emailed my advisor to see if he thought there were any alternative classes to take since the chosen courses I have been trying to register for conflict with each other. Long story short I basically got chewed out through an email message. Has anyone been in a situation like this before? How do you deal with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I tried switching courses (before the drop date) into an entomology class, but the prof was a big d*ck head and made some comment about how it was unwise to start in a new course after 3 weeks since the start of the year...

I didn't end up taking his class and if I remember correctly, I think I just dropped the original course and had 1 less course that year.

Don't take it to heart- just do your own research and get into whatever class you want to take. If the guy's a d*ck then he's a d*ck and life goes on.

Don't fret over it too much! :)

... why were you chewed out? I'm confused. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short I basically got chewed out through an email message. Has anyone been in a situation like this before? How do you deal with it?

You don't "deal" with it. You forget about it.

There are jerks in life. You need to let is slide off - water off a duck's back. I've had some ***hole profs and advisors before, and not taking anything personally is the best way to go about it.

Thanks for the replies. He asked me to come in and meet with him. But, I said I couldnt. So, he said it's not his fault I am in another place than him. Then he sent another email saying that I dont listen very well.

I had a professor that refused to let me retake an exam because I was blocked from getting to school due to a massive snow storm and the only road to the school had been closed for a few hours the morning of the exam. He was rude told me that I was a liar and that the freeway is currently open and that the streets weren't THAT bad. I informed him that I tried driving up but couldn't see more than 2 feet in front of me due to the snow, that I had a friend whose car rolled off the freeway due to the snow, and I sent him two news articles showing the semi that crashed and closed the freeway for a few hours. After that he FINALLY agreed to let me take the exam at x day and x time no excuses and if I can't make it I should drop the class. I told him I would be there. But, I had a lab at that day and time and later I decided he would probably have some type of grudge against me and grade me unfairly and I did not want to have to switch my lab around so I dropped the class and never showed up to take his test...hope he realized I dropped and didn't sit around waiting for me... :smuggrin:

Something like that happened to me DVMDream. I had the swine flu and was quarantined in my house during a test. My prof had a no make-up policy and tried to refuse letting me make up the test. Luckily I had a letter from the university stating that I could make up any classwork missed because of the quarantine. She was really rude through the whole process and even tried to make me allow her to come to my house to administer the exam to me.

I went to a small liberal arts school where all the professors were fantastic and took us out for drinks, had us over for bonfires, and were always willing to work with us if we needed to reschedule an exam. It was incredible. That being said, there was one instance when I sent out a campus wide email about ordering zoology department t-shirts. One of the theater professors (clearly someone with a bit of a tendency towards drama) emailed an absolutely snotty,horrible email threatening to revoke my ability to send campus wide emails (which only club presidents and department board members had). Personally, I like to meet challenges head on, and I think that if you let someone act like an ass to you once you are more likely to let others treat you poorly as well. So, I emailed the professor back and told him that he taught at a liberal arts school and he should embrace that and encourage it in his students by buying a t-shirt. I never heard from him again. Any way I look at it, I think it was a win. I stood up for myself (an didn't stew about the situation), and I might have reminded the professor that he should be tolerant of students particularly when they are active in the campus community.

Let it roll off your back.

Without seeing the actual e-mail it's hard to know if he was intentionally being rude or just curt. If he's a popular adviser and professor, he's probably just quickly replying to your e-mail and didn't bother trying to make it PC. I've been sitting with professors when they open the inbox at 8 am and have 100s of e-mails from students. Literally.

bandierose: Was it common for club presidents to send out something like that? At my alma mater the e-mail would only go to the students, not the professors.

We are a really small, tight knit community so it is completely routine (an every day occurence) for professors to get those emails. Like I said, students regularly pet/house/kid sat, went over to the prof's for dinners, traveled together.... That why it was so shocking to me.