Ruining chances at med school with BSN?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RayMae

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly I am writing this at 6 am after a night of no sleep from worrying about this exact subject so bare with me.

I have always wanted to be a doctor. That being said I am currently a 21 year old ICU tech who is about to start her second semester of Nursing school. I had originally began college hard-core premed but my Dad lost his job my senior year of high school so I have been paying for college by myself. There is a whole long story of how I got here but pretty much I've been struggling to even afford college and wanted a degree with a practically guaranteed job after it and for my own happiness I needed it to be in healthcare.
But I don't want to be a nurse. It just isnt the role that suits me best. The problem is I'm to the point now where I can get my BSN faster than any other degree. I have a good chance of getting hired to my ICU as an RN right after school, where I'll be making $65,000+ right out of the gate and not be totally miserable but also not be fulfilled long term.
It gotten to the point where I can't drop out of Nursing school but now I just need reassurance that I can get into Med school with a BSN if I still have that desire in the future.

Some stats for refrenece:
GPA: 3.8
I have 3 semester left and will graduate with my RN in less than a year but have my 2 semester BSN after that. Then my plan was take Gen Chem and Physics together then take Orgo 1 and 2 or Orgo/Biochem by themselves while studying for the MCAT or add alternate classes like genetics, cell bio ect. All while working full time to part time as an RN (So about 3 years to beginning med school from RN and two from BSN)
Bio is done along with a full year of A&P and pathophysiology (All As)
I also have 6 months of research studying the effects of prenatal cytomegalovirus on pediatric sensorineural hearing loss
Single and completely uninterested in getting married anytime soon.

Questions:
Am I completely screwed?
I know DO schools are more likely to admit nurses but if I enter one what are the chances of getting a surgical speciality if I want one? ER? IM to intensivist?
What if most my volunteer work is nursing related (medical trip to gauna, disaster support through work, volunteering at free clinic as a CNA or RN)?
Will my relativity quick turn over from nurse to med school applicant harm me if I really push my situation and why I am going the route I am?

Also I have looked into both CRNA, NP as well as other options such as flight nursing. While I love knowing I have these options I always come back to intense desire to become a doctor.

If anyone responds I will be incredibly grateful. I just wanted to throw my exact story out there and get responses instead of picking bits and pieces of advice from other threads. Also if you need more information feel free to ask.

Thank you in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope, you're good. There are at least two nurses at my school who are now med students.

I don't think 3 years between now and med school is too quick a turnover in the least.

It doesn't matter in what capacity you do your volunteer work as long as it's service to the needy, though I wouldn't do any overseas medical trips unless it's with extremely well-respected orgs like MSF.

Make sure you have at least one hobby you do regularly that you can put in your app. It'll make you look more interesting and less of a pre-med automaton.

I'm going to cry. Thank you so much for your reply. Good I just needed to hear it I think. I honestly think nursing, especially ICU and ER experience like I have and will gain, would be really helpful in becoming and being a doctor when looked at it through an experience in health care POV and not in a nursing vs medical model debate POV or even the fastest way from A to B POV.

The gauna trip is through my university as an elective for 4th semester. A lot of people say it's great experience if you can scrape together the dough.

The fact I honestly need to get a hobby outside school and work says something but again it's a good thing to tell myself.

Thank you so much again. All of the good karma is coming your way for even replying. Best of luck with where ever you are in your journey!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm essentially in the same boat. I've always wanted to be a doctor.. since I was like 6 or 7?? And then money scared the crap out of me in college and I turned to nursing to satisfy my healthcare dream. I don't hate nursing school, and I'm a nurse intern while I take my classes, but this path will never be enough for me. The NP/CRNA route was what I figured I could do because I didn't think I could ever actually get into med school. I'll be in 3rd semester in 3 weeks now, and we don't do summers so my grad date will be December of 2019. I'm thinking I'll take my bio and chem next summer while I'm off, waiting for 5th semester to start. And then while I'm working as an RN do my orgo and physics classes. My problem is I cannot afford to do these at a 4 year university because I'll already have been in pursuit of my bachelors for 5 and half years now (deciding to go into nursing in your junior year sucks). I'm worried about 1) not having the shadowing experience but instead having RN experience 2) Will CC classes hurt rather than help my application if I'm honest with them and say I can't afford the go back to a university 3) How long should I work as an RN before applying? Just long enough to get my volunteer hours/classes/MCAT settled? Or give it more time so they don't think I'm rushing it? I don't want to be in school forever, I'd like to get in as soon as humanly possible so I can start this path.

RN here. Started MD school this summer.

Nursing to medicine is a fine path, and many schools both osteopathic and allopathic agree. I had 5 acceptances on my first app cycle.

BEWARE the toxic, anti-nurse environment on SDN... but in reality everyone is on the same team.

You can PM me if you have other questions that nobody answers.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you both for your replies. It is nice to know someone else is in my shoes and someone else has actually made the transition.

RNthenDoc, was nursing then MD always your plan? What school did you get into if you don't mind me asking? What's your nursing background?

Sorry I know I could just PM but I'm sure others want to know too. Feel free to tell me as much or as little as you would like

I'm another CCRN who made his way to med school. I got accepted to 5 allopathic programs, so it's not just osteopathic schools who will take nurses. (Lol, adcoms know the goods when they see the goods). Your job will give you great experiences, so focus on excelling in science upper divisions, rocking the MCAT, and volunteering in something nonclinical that you are passionate about! Think about what drew you to medicine, and what aspects of your nursing studies and later practice enhance and complement that (I'd expect to get asked something similar in an interview, haha).

Finally, I don't agree that SDN is hostile to those pursuing the RN to MD (Or DO, in all fairness). Sure, plenty will be skeptical of your ability to make this difficult transition...but that changes nothing for you, just prove them wrong. And there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here on SDN who can and will help you with whatever; PS, school list, course advice, etc. Work hard...and good luck. PM me if there is anything I can do to help!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both for your replies. It is nice to know someone else is in my shoes and someone else has actually made the transition.

RNthenDoc, was nursing then MD always your plan? What school did you get into if you don't mind me asking? What's your nursing background?

Sorry I know I could just PM but I'm sure others want to know too. Feel free to tell me as much or as little as you would like

How I earned acceptances to 5 medical schools with a ~3.6cgpa and ~502 MCAT

Going to medical school was always at the back of my mind, but I needed to work in healthcare for a while before I knew for sure that it was what I wanted.

2nd year MD student and proud CCRN-CSC-CMC BSN. I'm 5+ years into my RN career and being a nurse has provided me the financial resources to pursue medicine.
I'm going to say SDN is very hostile to RN to MDs. Admissions teams at certain schools are as well.
Moral of the story is you don't want to be at a school who looks down at clinicians who want to advance themselves.
Healthcare is exceedingly collaborate. Schools who don't think high preforming RNs would be great MDs are behind the times.
As well pm me if you have questions

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your replies. I needed this as everyone keeps asking me what my plans are after getting my RN and my heart is still thinking med school.

What specialities are you guys looking into? Just curious. For some reason the few nurses to doctors that I have met all became surgeons (2 CV and 1 trauma). I always thought some would lean toward Intensivists.

Surgery can only be done via Med school, so it makes sense that nurses would go into that! If they wanted to do PCP or hospital they could do NP route and get some of it.

I’m actually leaning toward some form of primary medicine.

Out of curiosity, why would you ever think that X degree = no medical school? I didn't read your whole spiel but you should know that doctor's come from every background imaginable. Some paths require more work than others but nonetheless, they are all viable.

Members don't see this ad :)
My high school/college advisors told me it was an absolute no no. I remember thinking it was an option at like 17 and having my A&P teacher tell me that it would be such a uphill battle to get into Med school as a nurse because they saw it as "taking nurses away from the feild" or showing commitment issues. My highschool advisor told me point blank it would never happen. I've still heard this from nurses and physicians but they have been mostly older. It just always seems like nursing before Med School would make me seem like a much lesser applicant though I never understood why. Tommorrow I have a test on electrolyte and fluid imbalances; pretty sure I'd use that more as a physician than anything I'd be learning with the English degree they recommended that I get.

But I also get the ideation and personally don't want nursing to become a popular pre-med major (bigoted I know). We are already have so many great floor nurses doing NP or CRNA, which is great and honestly something that I'll probably do if not med school, that I understand why some programs are hesitant and/or nurses discourage the path. Floor nursing is hard work and very under appreciated but loosing the majority of the smart, dedicated nurses at the bedside is terrifying.

I just feel like it is a wonderful but terrifying time to be beginning in medicine. With PAs, NPs, CRNAs now popularized but still vaguely new I always wonder what the face of healthcare will look like in the 60+ years I most likely have in it. Honestly that would be a interesting discussion (and I am sure one that has already been started) to also have.

I honestly flucate between like 45-99% sure I'm going to med school most days of the week. I just like to make sure I am not sealing the door off completely like some people keep telling me. Right now the focus is on doing as well as I can in the program I am in now to keep as many options open for myself as possible. So I definitely appreciate all advise and/or experiences you all can share.

Yeah, I just was told that Nursing was a red flagged one. Perfectly happy to be proven wrong!

I had a polar opposite pre-med experience in nursing. I was ENCOURAGED by two non-trad attendings to pursue medschool instead of my NP track. I even wrote that into my personal statement, because it was sincerely the catalyst that even made me consider this route.

I’ve heard that to when you nurses wanna do CRNA or NP, I just think the idea of beginning nursing while thinking Med school is frowned upon. Honestly I am happy to be in nursing school and love the exposure and feel like I’d be super unhappy getting another degree and hoping I balance everything enough to hopefully get into med school.

Vocational degrees tend to be less successful than others.
This may be where you got that impression.

Had a Med school dean walk into an interview, and without even introducing himself told me that, “While nurses can become doctors, [I’m] going to face a lot of challenges...” This is thinly-veiled bias/hostility, which permeates much of the medical education community.

That said, I had great interviews and a wonderful app cycle. It *can* be done, but it’s important for nurses to realize that a lot of folks consider nurses as less than. (This in turn puts a chip on the nurse’s shoulder, which makes them want to make Interns feel silly by flexing clinical acumen, which causes the intern to be bitter, which keeps this cycle of low self-esteem rolling)

Not trying to scare anyone; in general everyone is great. Still important to recognize reality.

Are you going to take some pre reqs with your nursing classes?? I’m just thinking about how long it’ll be before I can even apply if I put them all off until after finished my BSN

RN turned 2nd year DO student here. My bachelor degree however was not a BSN, it was a BS in psychology. I did some medical school pre-reqs and gen ed transfer requirements concurrently with my nursing program. Then I finished the rest with the university I transferred to for my BS.

RN turned 2nd year DO student here. My bachelor degree however was not a BSN, it was a BS in psychology. I did some medical school pre-reqs and gen ed transfer requirements concurrently with my nursing program. Then I finished the rest with the university I transferred to for my BS.
What pre reqs did you take with which nursing classes? Going into Med surg 2 and OB this semester and it's one of my lightest and at my institute, easiest semesters

What pre reqs did you take with which nursing classes? Going into Med surg 2 and OB this semester and it's one of my lightest and at my institute, easiest semesters

Hmm that’s going back so far lol. My nursing program was 2013-2015. I had a couple done before that were nursing AND Medical school pre-reqs like Stats 1, biology 1, psych 1, A+P x 3 semesters (not really required for med just saying). During nursing semesters I took intro Chem, gen chem 1 And lab, gen chem 2 And lab, and several other gen eds I had to take for my transfer. We had ONE summer off during the program, and I took a full summer load of Orgo 1 And lab, bio 2 And lab, and some other gen end like comp 2.

@RNpremed96 alright you made me dig my old file up off my flash drive...

Here is a screen pic of my class tracker. So you can look and see exactly what I took together.

D99A51CB-9557-4984-9FE8-7843918EF972.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Had a Med school dean walk into an interview, and without even introducing himself told me that, “While nurses can become doctors, [I’m] going to face a lot of challenges...” This is thinly-veiled bias/hostility, which permeates much of the medical education community.

That said, I had great interviews and a wonderful app cycle. It *can* be done, but it’s important for nurses to realize that a lot of folks consider nurses as less than. (This in turn puts a chip on the nurse’s shoulder, which makes them want to make Interns feel silly by flexing clinical acumen, which causes the intern to be bitter, which keeps this cycle of low self-esteem rolling)

Not trying to scare anyone; in general everyone is great. Still important to recognize reality.

What are you talking about? Who is saying nurses are less than them, your new classmates? The dean is saying that because that's what the data shows for premeds. I can guarantee you our background will help you in classes.

What are you talking about? Who is saying nurses are less than them, your new classmates? The dean is saying that because that's what the data shows for premeds. I can guarantee you our background will help you in classes.

The dean meant I would face difficulty in becoming a physician after being a nurse. He continued into a line of questioning clarifying that position.

It’s all fine now, but I always like people to be prepared that there is real anti-nurse bias, and it’s important to know how to swing situations like the above into positives instead of getting defensive.

Nah! My school had premed nursing students lmao and they’re doing good in Medical school :) I wish I did this actually as it offers clinical experience and good money!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wow, sorry guys I guess my notifications turned off so I thought this thread was dead.

I have taken all the biology and not sciences courses but I need physics and all the chem.

My plan was to finish my RN and then I just found out I can take the BSN courses as slow or fast as I want as long as I am done is 6 semesters. So the plan was take each pre-med class one at a time so I can assure I get good grades and then apply. Maybe I will clump a few together but right now I think that is the best plan.

I'm in the same boat. Nursing school is so stupid and I'm pissed.

I had a much higher sGPA, and due to nursings subjectivity and 7 point grading scale, it lowered my gpa. On top of that, I have recently found out that DO counts nursing as science. Pretty much my only hope is to kill my postbacc and crush the MCAT. I don't even know if DO is an option because my sGPA without nursing is a 3.7, but with its maybe a 3.3

I wish I hadn't done nursing.

I had a much higher sGPA, and due to nursings subjectivity and 7 point grading scale, it lowered my gpa. On top of that, I have recently found out that DO counts nursing as science. Pretty much my only hope is to kill my postbacc and crush the MCAT. I don't even know if DO is an option because my sGPA without nursing is a 3.7, but with its maybe a 3.3

Sorry again for being the messenger. But DO is definitely still possibly with a 3.3! Don’t be discouraged!!

some posters on here are so dramatic..sheesh!