Rules on acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concubine

PDE5 inhibited
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I interviewed at OUCOM, they said schools can't force deposits before a specific date. Has anyone else heard this? If not, perhaps this is something that only applies to OUCOM? If there is a rule, how does Touro get away with forcing a $2,000 deposit within 2 weeks? Any feedback would be great (maybe I'm totally of my rocker)!

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed at OUCOM, they said schools can't force deposits before a specific date. Has anyone else heard this? If not, perhaps this is something that only applies to OUCOM? If there is a rule, how does Touro get away with forcing a $2,000 deposit within 2 weeks? Any feedback would be great (maybe I'm totally of my rocker)!

I think you're right, but I believe it has to do with when you're accepted. They must give you a minimum of X number of weeks following notification of your acceptance to turn in your deposit. I'm not sure how many weeks. I seem to recall that the amount of time you get decreases as it gets later in the application cycle. I think it's a AACOM rule, but I too may be off my rocker.

Anyone else heard of this anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I just wanted to introduce myself as a former lurker on the site. :) Concubine--this is what I found for you in the "2007 Entering class Osteopathic Medical College Information Book" that I have:

"Colleges of osteopathic medicine may begin extending offers of admission at any time after the interview. Applicants will be requested to submit necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following schedule:

-those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
-those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
-those accepted between January 15 and June 14 will have 14 days;.
-those accepted after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit."
(Page 19, #3 in the booklet--Page 22 in the 2008 book)

With that being said, I checked online and it seems that the 2008 entering class book has the same dates and guidelines. Seems like you'd be able to contest it, but what do I know? :p

Cheers,
~Kim

I thought I'd read that as well. It seems kind of shady that Touro can get away with the $2000 nonrefundable deposit in two weeks. Honestly, that is one reason I rejected their offer. If I could think about it until December and compare it to the other schools I'm interviewing, I would give it more thought. But this way I had to (within a day or two) compare it with my one other acceptance (AZCOM) and pick between the two. I suppose I could have contested it, but even having to do that is irksome. Not a good way to start out your career at that school.

I'm not going to either Touro anyway, but it still kind of pisses me off that I had to put down $2,000 at Touro-NV (all but 10% is refundable) out of freeking out that I wouldn't get in anywhere else. If their really is a rule, then they should be up front about it instead of scaring students into paying early. That is very bad and dishonest business. It would really piss me off to lose even $200. Many more will also share this same fate.

Maybe, the 90% refund is why they can get away with the early date.

Apparently only Touro-NV has the 90% refund offer. And that is ONLY because the state of Nevada requires it. They admitted to that at my interview.

Apparently only Touro-NV has the 90% refund offer. And that is ONLY because the state of Nevada requires it. They admitted to that at my interview.

I remember the same thing being said. I'm curious what the policy is for Touro-NY. The same?