Rural healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live closer to the city now, but am originally from a cornfield in the rural Midwest. My dream is to come back there and serve that medically underserved community.

For some personal reasons I plan to discuss in interviews if given the opportunity but might give away my identity on SDN, I have a strong personal interest in rural underserved areas that is related to having lived there much of my life.

What is a way to concretely show interest in this? Do I even need to or is being from a rural area and having that perspective enough? Are there any things I can do or organizations I can get involved in?

I have never found anything but figured it was worth asking!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I live closer to the city now, but am originally from a cornfield in the rural Midwest. My dream is to come back there and serve that medically underserved community.

For some personal reasons I plan to discuss in interviews if given the opportunity but might give away my identity on SDN, I have a strong personal interest in rural underserved areas that is related to having lived there much of my life.

What is a way to concretely show interest in this? Do I even need to or is being from a rural area and having that perspective enough? Are there any things I can do or organizations I can get involved in?

Which state are you from?

I think showing real dedication to undeserved and difficult to work with groups, basically just showing overall altruism, plus being from somewhere rural, that most adcom will take your word for it if in an application or interview you say this is your interest.

I mean, if there are more specific opportunities that show this that come up, that you can do, so much the better.

But I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think showing real dedication to undeserved and difficult to work with groups, basically just showing overall altruism, plus being from somewhere rural, that most adcom will take your word for it if in an application or interview you say this is your interest.

I mean, if there are more specific opportunities that show this that come up, that you can do, so much the better.

But I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

Thank you so much, Cray! :)

I think this is a great differentiator. It's tough to recruit physicians (or other healthcare professionals) to rural areas.

Not that these are rural specific, but do you have any experience working in critical access hospital or federally qualified health center (FQHC)? I think those experiences would translate well, as they are more prevalent in rural settings. Best of luck!