Rural Medicine Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SG3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. The school i want to really promotes rural medicine. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books talking about it. I googled some, i saw some for example "Caring for people in the country: Family doctors in small towns." ..idk thats jsut one I saw can any recommend this one OR any good ones? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys. The school i want to really promotes rural medicine. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books talking about it. I googled some, i saw some for example "Caring for people in the country: Family doctors in small towns." ..idk thats jsut one I saw can any recommend this one OR any good ones? Thanks

I liked the Bryson City books by walt larimore but they are quite a few years old.

The Country Doctor Revisited was suggested on the Rural Med forum

Members don't see this ad :)
A good one that may be helpful is "where there is no doctor", David Werner.
As the title states, it's for the remotest of places with substandard living and has a great deal of pictures/illustrations and is rather "dumbed down", removing medical jargon and making it understandable for a layperson or even an idiot to comprehend.

I will second Where There Is No Doctor - a good book and a quick read.

Caring for the Country is probably one of the "best" rural medicine books out there right now. That's not saying much since there really isn't a lot of books in the niche. The book can be a bit heavy at times but it's right up the alley you're looking for. It would give you enough insight to feel comfortable making some comparisons to rural medicine and your own goals and aspirations.