Rural Medicine (SC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools really look favorably on those who desire to practice in a rural area?

What are some things to do to show that your interest in rural medicine in genuine rather than doing it just to look good in application process.

Rural South Carolina is the area I am interested in

I applied to shadow at a small town hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools definitely do look favorably upon such a desire. If they say so on their websites I'd trust them. If they don't mention it then they probably don't care.

Other than shadowing in a rural environment, the only thing I can think of to build up that kind of evidence of interest is by participating in a rural health interest club if you have one available. It seems to be something that's really hard to demonstrate, especially since most people applying are in college so they're not somewhere that's strictly rural. If you were raised in a rural area, then you can at least talk about your experiences growing up.

I had an interviewer ask me about my interest in rural practice; specifically, how did I know that I would be successful as a rural physician given that I didn't have any rural medical experiences? I just tried to convey my sincere interest in rural health that formed from my background growing up in farmland, and emphasized that my choice to apply to her school was based on the reputation of their program and that I hoped to find a good mentor who could be my role model.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Washington is ranked by US News as the #1 primary care school and rural health care school. I believe the only out of state applicants they admit have a background in rural medicine, so you'll need to build up some good experience before applying.

If I recall minnesota has a rural medicine program that has a completely separate admissions pool/process.

Not sent from my cell phone :shifty:

I believe you are speaking of University of Minnesota's Duluth Program. If I remember correctly (after being rejected :) ) you apply through AMCAS to University of Minnesota, and they contact you to which program you are applying, separate secondary fees, etc. Duluth is... freezing... slightly