PhD/PsyD Rural Pre-Doctoral Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Channing1819

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was discussing pre-doctoral internships with a peer and we both have decided to seek sites in rural / frontier communities. Does anyone have a list of rural sites? I've started a list but figured it'd be worthwhile posting to see if anyone has one created already. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I was discussing pre-doctoral internships with a peer and we both have decided to seek sites in rural / frontier communities. Does anyone have a list of rural sites? I've started a list but figured it'd be worthwhile posting to see if anyone has one created already. Thanks!
Across the entire country? That's your only criteria for the training you want at the site?

Members don't see this ad :)
Across the entire country? That's your only criteria for the training you want at the site?

JustanotherGrad -- Great question -- Not necessarily. My friend who is also searching for sites in rural areas is looking for hospital/health service sites, whereas I'm looking for community mental health centers, community health centers / federally qualified health centers (FQHCs). We're not limiting ourselves geographically. I kept the post broad because my friend has disparate interests / training needs.

The APPIC directory allows you to search program criteria for training opportunities with certain conditions or populations - "Rural" is one of the categories listed.

APPIC

Reactions: 1 user
I looked for primarily rural internships because I had lived in SoCal for twenty years and was ready for a change. I knew geography fairly well so it was easy for me to identify those sites. It is also important to identify the setting that you want to work in. I was looking at state hospitals and they do tend to be in rural settings. Also, pretty much anywhere west of the Mississippi that is not on the coast and is not Denver will be rural. Heck, even Salt Lake City is pretty rural from my perspective. You could live less than thirty minutes from the city center and be in wilderness with moose and elk in your backyard. Good luck with the search.

I've always thought that living in Montana would be nice and (being a VA person), I happen to know that they have a VA in (or near?) Helena with an internship program. Also, Boise has a VA with an internship program... Um... Fargo? Durham? Sheridan? Cheyenne? Asheville? Coatsville? Hmm... Dayton? Canandaigua? Sioux Falls? Augusta ME? Battle Creek? Walla Walla? White River? All VA's with internships though I'm not sure if you would consider all of these rural? Nor can I vouch for their awesomeness. There are lots. I could go on. The search function mentioned above is handy.

I'll put a plug in for the Chillicothe VA! :)

To continue on the plugs for VA's...
One of my good friends matched at the Montana VA (Helena), and one of the previous Montana VA interns is currently a post-doc at my prac site. The Montana VA program is currently expanding, but I've heard nothing but good things. Also, another friend of mine is currently on internship at VA Eastern Kansas and has been really enjoying their training. From personal experience, I interviewed at the Prescott, AZ VA, and thought the program was great. Ultimately, it really depends on what you are looking for in a training program- all VA's have a different feel, and some people just don't care for a VA setting...which is totally fair.

This is all extremely helpful information -- thank you for sharing, everyone!
I appreciate all the suggestions.

Lexington VA is worth checking out. It’s in a gorgeous part of the country, it has/had a laid back feel, and they were really supportive of the trainees.

VA Eastern Kansas has a solid reputation and a great staff. There is quite a bit of local competition (KU Counseling, KU Clinical, UMKC), but they recruit nationally. They want students who want to work with a more rural population. Very EBT focused.

I'd check out Stone Mountain Health. The site sounds like an amazing training opportunity in a truly rural setting.

Other sites that come to my mind include:

- Some of the Alaska Psychology Internship Consortium tracks (like Norton Sound Health Corporation)
- I Ola Lahui in Hawaii

Both sites include extensive training and experience providing services in remote, isolated, rural locations with primarily Indigenous populations.

The Norton Sound Health Corporation track of the AK-PIC is one of the most rural/remote/frontier places you could possibly go in the US. Feel free to PM, if you have any questions about the site!