Rush/Drexel/ or Rosalind Franklin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagoboy14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am debating between these 3 schools and was wondering what you all think? ANy help would be appreciated, i enjoyed my visit to all three schools and would like more insight into my decision.

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

rush and drexel have better reputations...i don't know as much about drexel as rush, but i certainly would venture that the medical center at rush is one of the best in the chicago area if not the country as a whole.

i suppose it comes down to what factors are most important to you, though. each school has something unique to offer...

I know very little about the schools except I remember RFU having an awesome match list for its reputation.

I would also take into account how students are graded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been to Rush and Drexel but not Rosalind Franklin. This is what I came away with:
Drexel
Positives: relatively new facilities, great humanities program, amazing community service initiatives, surprising match results, down to earth/non-competitive students, choose from two different tracks: PIL or IFM, can watch classes on computer through live feed, Philly is an enjoyable city
Negatives: questionable neighborhood, hospital isnt located on campus, very large class size, class all day (this is a neg depending on what curriculum type youre looking for), Grading is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail (good or bad depending on your opinion),not too great of a reputation, 35 thousand price tag

Rush
Positives: outstanding hospitals (Rush Medical Center, Cook County) curriculum places strong emphasis on clinical training, community initiatives program allows you to start seeing patients your second semester of your first yr, enthusiastic/helpful administration, students seemed very happy, housing provided for ~60% of incoming first years, Grading is Honors/Pass/Fail, amazing location (in the medical district of Chicago)
Negatives: class all day, while Rush is very well known in the medical community I got the feeling that not many outside this group are familiar with it, 36 thousand price tag

For me, I think the clinical training/environment at Rush is superior so I would choose them over Drexel. Good luck with your decision

To the OP,

Vizsla gave a good synopsis of drexel and rush.
As for RFUMS, they do have a great match list for people going into competitive specialties. I have many close friends that go there and they enjoy the fact that RFU really prepares them to take the USMLE - their basic science years are exceptionally strong. One thing that turns me off to RFU is the location (North Chicago). Granted that the city is about 35-40 minutes away, there still is nothing to do around the med school campus at all. ALso, RFU is damn expensive but then again so are Drexel and Rush. Personally, I would choose Rush over the other two because of the great emphasis on clinical exposure and training. Also, you can't beat their direct affiliation with Stroger/Cook County.