Rush Medical College Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey rush-folk,

I just decided I'm going for sure.

I missed 2nd look day by a day, but I went up on Saturday to get myself psyched up! I think its going to be a great experience.

Housing question: Is anyone else thinking about living in pilsen? The rent is great and i love the latino culture going on on 18th street. I basically found the apartment of my dreams, but I wanted to ask any Chicagoans if there are any reasons I should NOT live in pilsen?

I'm new to the whole SDN, but I saw that some people had posted personal info. I'm 25, engaged, born and raised in Champaign IL, went to UWC in NM for high school, Colby College in Maine for undergrad. I'm working in a rehab center now, but i may bail to go travel with my girl before I'm locked down for a few years...and yes, i absolutely adored RUSH!

Let me know where y'all are planning on living. I don't think I could do on-campus, but maybe we could get a little "Rush enclave" going in one of the nearby neighborhoods.

keep posting--this thread rocks!

Bobby

Great to meet you! I will be joining everyone this fall as well. As for housing, I have no idea and will be doing tons of research this summer on the topic. I must say Lincoln or Wicker Park sound tempting, but I fear the commute (which makes Rush's housing attractive). I guess we'll see.

Members don't see this ad.

I decided on Rush too. I just need to finalize all the paperwork now.

I'm hoping to live off campus somewhere close and cheap too. At least within a short bikeride, or perhaps a 20 minute walk. I have some friends at UIC undergrad who live close to RMC and pay pretty reasonable rent. I'm sick of dealing with roomates so I'll probably try to find a studio, which to be affordable may have to be in Pilsen. Mexican neighborhoods in Chicago have their pluses and minuses. I guess you could say there's cool Latino culture, mostly just a few parades, etc. a year and some awesome (and cheap!) food. I'm sure the part of Pilsen closer to Rush isn't that dangerous at all. Its a big city- just use common sense.

Does anybody know when Rush sends out info on things like immunizations, orientation schedule, etc.?

thanks B

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm official too! I couldnt make second look (live in Cali) but i'll be visiting next month and checking out Center Court. I applied for student housing, and apparently assignments are given starting in May...? Anyone else for sure doing campus housing?

Ya'll have probably seen this site designed by Rush med students for incoming/current students: http://www.rmstudents.com/
Looks like it has a lot of useful info though i'm not sure how often it is updated.

Hey all,

For those of you asking about the second look...(I was only able to be there for the first half but here is a brief run down on what happened)

Susan K Jacob, Ph.D. (associate dean and one of our Anatomy and Cell Bio Profs talked)

Cynthia Boyd, M.D. (assistant Prof with several other titles talked about the Rush Atmosphere)

Paul J. Jones, M.D. -head financial aid guy talked (he knows the answers to the financial aid questions)

Keith Boyd, M.D. talked about immunizations (we were handed a sheet that needs to be filled out--not just a record of vaccination shots...we need to get blood tests to show antibody titer counts (which I think is cool))

Jill A Gabbert, M.S. (Director of student Affairs) talked about center court gardens (it is available to all the student...so you could be paired with someone going for their PhD if you don't specify (or you may want that)...about 25% of the school (total, not just the med students) lives there...about 50% of the M1s (someone correct me if I am remembering this wrong)

Thomas A Deutsch, M.D. (Dean, RMC) talked for a few minutes (he will also be a prof)

Robert L. Rosen, M.D. (future prof) gave a mini lecture on the respiratory system and reading chest x-rays

Then we had a student panel answer questions during lunch
They said that the student body was awesome...when someone makes a huge and intricate study guide they will sent it out to everyone to help them study...the atmosphere is totally constructive to learning...not competitive
They also said to live somewhere that suits your lifestyle...if you don't mind driving 30-45 minutes then do it to get a better bang for your buck...if that's not you then live closer....the "L" trains are safe enough (one girl said that she just rides in the conductor's compartment if its later in the evening)...if you love to study at school and don't mind always having it in sight, live in center court

Plus...somewhere in there, another guy stopped by (name not on handout) and he talked about the 800 million dollar renovation that rush with be completing by 2012 that will put us on the grandest scale of everything :) , and our only competitors will be Stanford (their stuff is built but not operational) and Johns Hopkins (They are also drafting up the final plans)...Apparently our new techno and capacity will mean that people will be coming from all over the country to Rush for certain procedures
He showed us some of the building plans and they are pretty wild...from a birds-eye view the top of the new building will look like a butterfly and everyone will be able to see it from 290 (and see all the grandeur of Rush :p ) Apparently, we are on the up-and-up...so that was exciting.

Lastly, we were told to send our transcripts in (only if they are complete and include a record of our degrees) to

Rush University, Office of the Registrar
600 S. Paulina St., STE 440
Chicago, IL 60612
Attn: Dan Weber

(these can be sent as late as Sept 15th or something...so don't worry. Also, they are for future records...when they hand us our next degree (yea!)...they are not to check up on us so that they can boot us out for grades, so don't worry!)

Finally....
Question: How do we finalize our decision to attend Rush...do we just need to withdraw from the other institutions we are holding places at? (does this need to be done by May 1?) And, are you just sending letters to the admin office for this or what?)

wait... you're saying that 2nd semester senior grades don't matter (to a certain point)?

That is what they said...They said that the grades weren't to "check-up on grades" but instead to get some paperwork out of the way so that they have it when we get our degree...didn't sound at all like they would reconsider anyone based on later grades (we all had a good laugh about it)...you are in--stop worrying :D

Thanks for all the info VanillaBeans. That was really helpful.

B

Hey all! My roommate and I will be second years at Rush this fall and we have a room available in our 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment. We were thinking it would be great for someone who is moving here and doesn't have furniture yet because the whole apartment is furnished except for the bedroom. We are about a mile southwest of Rush at 1037 S. Oakley Blvd.

The room is relatively small, but the rent is only $416/mo! Plus you would have access to a bunch of our old 1st year books (will save you hundreds)!

I am a 28 yr old female who is originally from NY, but more recently from San Diego. My roommate is a 23 year old male from the midwest. Both of us have long distance significant others. Please feel free to email me if you have questions about the apartment or about Rush in general. And congrats on going to Rush!

Sherri

So where's everyone staying at Rush? I just got my housing assignment at Center Court and my financial aid papers.

So where's everyone staying at Rush? I just got my housing assignment at Center Court and my financial aid papers.

I'm looking for apartments the week of May 28, including Center Court. Hopefully I'll know after that.

I'm gonna try to live somewhere off campus, but close, so I can walk or bike. Not sure if i want to live with other med students though- I feel like that might drive me crazy.

Does anyone know / remember which ATM is at Rush? I wanted to open a bank account with that branch, but didn't know which it was...(I know it's on some post somewhere, but I couldn't find it)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know / remember which ATM is at Rush? I wanted to open a bank account with that branch, but didn't know which it was...(I know it's on some post somewhere, but I couldn't find it)

For some reason I remember it being Chase, but have no proof to back that up.

There was a website set up for 2005-2006 orientation and that listed BankOne (later became JPMorganChase) and hopefully that's still the same.

http://www.rushu.rush.edu/medcol/ori.html

J

I remember the ATMs being Chase as well ...

Has anyone else received their housing assignment? I turned my forms in fairly early and I haven't heard anything. Tried calling Rush but we've been playing phone tag.

Does anyone have thoughts on Center Court vs. Medical District Apartments?

resurrecting this underused thread...

just got my housing contract, sent it in. so excited!

ndteej... did you get a studio or 1br? yeah, I'm getting pretty excited. When are you thinking of moving in?

on a side note: we need to find a way of knowing real names of ppl b/c I'm sure jrock won't be showing up on my name badge.

J

ndteej... did you get a studio or 1br? yeah, I'm getting pretty excited. When are you thinking of moving in?

on a side note: we need to find a way of knowing real names of ppl b/c I'm sure jrock won't be showing up on my name badge.

J

My name is John Michael Dorian :D

Where is everyone????

What are people doing this summer?

Let me know if anyone wants to do anything or meet each other prematurely (that lives in the Chicago vicinity).

I was actually thinking that something like that would be cool. I'm in town all summer, so post here or PM me if you want to get something going.

well the blues festival is coming up june 07-8.anyone interested?

I'm working abroad for the Summer, but I'll be back August 1st and would be interested in meeting up with some Rush students. My name is Robert "Bobby" Redwood. I'll bring it up again in July sometime:)

b

Just got a call from Sue Jacob. I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :hardy: :hardy:

I was in the "Middle Third" tier of the waitlist for anyone who's curious.

:luck: :luck: to all of you still waiting to hear back!

-Jonathan

Just got a call from Sue Jacob. I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :hardy: :hardy:

I was in the "Middle Third" tier of the waitlist for anyone who's curious.

:luck: :luck: to all of you still waiting to hear back!

-Jonathan

Nicely done. Now its just the housing search, shouldn't be anywhere as hellish as the entire AMCAS process!!

Cheers!

I just got back from a week long Chicago visit (I live in L.A.) and I dropped by Rush to give myself a 'second look' since I was not able to do the official one. I stopped in at the Admissions office (or whatever office that was) and got some info from Ria Majeske and some other staff (names have escaped me, but Jill Porter was not there) -- they will be sending out important info and documents regarding orientation, etc. (some of which was distributed at Second Look I guess?) via email over the next 2 weeks.

While I was there, I also toured the Center Court apts. I have my assignment already -- a studio -- and I think they look pretty nice. The location is incredibly convenient, like a block and half from the hospital, and the room size is sufficient. Coming from L.A., I've had the experience of renting a piece-o'-crap bachelor at $800 a month so this is nothing new (I'm already sensitized to my indebtednness) and I think this is several steps up from what I'm used to. Anyway, I'll be moving in early- to mid- August. I'd be up for some pregaming if anyone else wants to :D

Oh, I have a Q for those who attended the Second Look --- do you know the date of the white coat ceremony?

The white coat ceremony was not mentioned durig the second look (atleast not that I remember). But I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is usually on the friday of the orientation. In our case it should be on Sept 7th.

This is just a educated guess so don't bet any money on it.

btw. ppl on SDN, are there a lof of you on facebook?

Jimmy

Oh, I have a Q for those who attended the Second Look --- do you know the date of the white coat ceremony?

Hi All,

I just got off of the waitlist! I am in such shock right now! Does anyone know when Orientation starts at Rush, and when the first day of classes is? I can't find this info on the website.

Also, if anyone has the 2007 Match List, could you please post it? Or PM with it?

Thank you so much...ahh...I'm in shock...

mdapp06:luck:

Hi All,

I just got off of the waitlist! I am in such shock right now! Does anyone know when Orientation starts at Rush, and when the first day of classes is? I can't find this info on the website.

Also, if anyone has the 2007 Match List, could you please post it? Or PM with it?

Nevermind my questions above...I found the info I was looking for :)

Nevermind my questions above...I found the info I was looking for :)

Congrats future classmate. What 1/3 were you on, just outta curiosity.

Also, I'm on facebook, but never use it. Does anyone want to do something if they're around this summer?

Last edited:

Also, I'm on facebook, but never use it. Does anyone want to do something if they're around this summer?

Dave Tabriz

Thanks! I was in the middle third of the waitlist :)

I'm not sure where I'll be for the summer yet (may take a vacation before school starts)...

That was a quick name change.. JD/Dave

I'm up for meeting up during the summer. Maybe a decent bar around downtown. I'll be near Chicago for the summer hopefully working for the 3 months I have off.

MDApps, Congrats on the acceptance. Having been on a few waitlist myself the last couple of year, I'm sure you are pretty excited. Was Rush your first choice?

Jimmy

Dave Tabriz

Congratulations medApp06...its always good to hear some happiness on SDN amongst all the groany rejection posts. I was wondering what date y'all interviewed? I might already know some of you (although that whole day kind of seems like a blur now).

Anyway, I was there on Nov. 20th and there were definitely two women from LA interviewing (pinfeathers?)

Alright thats all I got, keep 'em coming though, checking this thread has become part of my before bed ritual:laugh: (nerdy, I know)

B

Echoing the congrats to MDApp06! Yay!! hopefully this thread will become more active as folks get plucked fromt he waitlist :)

I was wondering what date y'all interviewed? I might already know some of you (although that whole day kind of seems like a blur now).

Anyway, I was there on Nov. 20th and there were definitely two women from LA interviewing (pinfeathers?)

Sorry Bobby, not me -- I interviewed on Dec 7th... I think. It was def early Dec anyway. Interesting that there were others from LA on your interview day. A few other posters on this thread are from CA too, so I wonder if we are overrepresented in the OOS pool...

Congratulations medApp06...its always good to hear some happiness on SDN amongst all the groany rejection posts. I was wondering what date y'all interviewed? I might already know some of you (although that whole day kind of seems like a blur now).

Alright thats all I got, keep 'em coming though, checking this thread has become part of my before bed ritual:laugh: (nerdy, I know)

B

Hi! I interviewed in January (I can't remember the exact date...maybe January 10th?)

I am really excited by my Rush acceptance...I think it will become more "real" once I get the packet in the mail. I'm also wondering what kind of financial aid package I will get...has Rush been pretty good about awarding scholarships (merit or need-based), or have financial aid packages been primarily federal loans?

At this point I'm deciding between Loyola and Rush...I didn't get a great financial aid package from Loyola so I'm hoping that Rush will be a bit better.

If anyone has any other advice for me as I start making my pros/cons list for both schools, please let me know :)

have a great Memorial Day holiday, everyone!

mdapp06:)

Hi! I'm very new to SDN and I hope none of you mind that I've jumped on this thread. I found out Friday (my birthday!) that I've been accepted to Rush off the top 1/3 of the waitlist. I'm thrilled and I'm heavily leaning toward choosing Rush.

The other schools I've got to choose from are Mizzou and SIU. Does anyone have any thoughts about these two schools that you wouldn't mind sharing? I know Rush is twice the price of the other schools, but I just feel right about Rush... Am I crazy? Is it worth the extra expense? I think so, but some in my family have reservations...

It's my call though and I'd really like to move to Chicago and attend Rush. Any thoughts on the pluses and minuses of these other schools?

Thanks so much for any ideas that may help make this decision more clear!:)

Congrats on Rush! Some quick background: I grew up in southern Illinois (20 minutes outside Carbondale) and interviewed at both Rush and SIU. Can't really comment on Mizzou.

Personally, I'd choose Rush over SIU just for Chicago. If you have a strong desire for a small town setting or money is a big factor for you, then pick SIU. I also got a pretty good vibe from Rush, more so than SIU. The SIUC area is pretty homogeneous and I don't think I'd be a fan of PBL. I know a few PA students (also use PBL) and have talked to a few med students, and they all say they would rather have it this way vs. lecture. Curriculum-wise, SIU has some sort of year-long PCP shadowing for M1s and I've heard that their M3s/M4s get pretty reasonable autonomy.

Hope this helps somewhat, congrats again, and good luck with the decision!

Hi All,

Congrats!! Orientation week is right after Labor Day. :D

Here is a link to the calendar:
http://www.rushu.rush.edu/pdffiles/2007-2008calendar.pdf

Hey everybody. I also just got into Rush a week or two ago. I just saw all these threads and thought I'd join the SDN. I live in Chicago and just graduated from Illinois Wesleyan University and will be a first year this fall. I am really pumped as I bet everyone else is. I plan on living in the Center Court Apartments in a one-bedroom. I just tlaked to Jill Porter and she said there were still a few left. I have a couple of friends who will be M2's and a few buddies who are going to UIC for med/pharm/PT schools. Also, there is one buddy of mine going to RMC with me as well this fall. I hope everyone is real excited. My friend who is an M2 now said that the weekend scene is really good (obviously cause we are in the city) and people DO GO OUT on the weekends (which I am personally excited about).

Does anyone have any thoughts between Center Court apts and Circle Park apts? Or know of anyone who has lived in Circle Park? It's a bit farther than Center Court (right off of Taylor street), but has good deals...

JBro, if you went to Naz, I know who you are...lol.

Rush people, let's try to get together sometime soon just to grab a beer or something.

I went and checked out the areas around Rush the other day. I want to try to find a studio in Tri-Taylor, but if I find a nice one in Pilsen that could work too. I'd really go look at Pilsen before signing anything, I'm from Chicago and have been through there before, but it really wasn't too impressive from the perspective of living there.

Hey Paco-

I agree, I'm 90% sure I'll me moving into Center Court in August, so I'm sure we can meet up before orientation (Taylor St.?).

There were some really sweet 2br apartments at Circle Apartments (b/t Taylor and Roosevelt), $925 or $975/month (total, not individual). Might want to look into them.

Does anyone have the actual schedule of events for Orientation week (Sept. 4th - Sept. 7th)? I want to start getting excited about the events that are scheduled :)

mdapp06

Has anyone heard about The Campaign for Rush University Medical Center? It sounds absolutely amazing. They are launching a 300 million dollar campaign to "re-invent the Medical Center" and build a new hospital in the Illinois Medical District.

Here is the link to the webpage for the Campaign:

http://www.rushcampaign.org/content.php

mdapp06 :)

Jeeze, MDapp06....I thought I was excited to go to Rush! You're one up on me... I think this new campaign is so awesome. It will really make Rush even better of a place and more nationally recognized. It's real cool

It's time to start uploading Rush Class of 2011 pictures. I'll get us started with quite possibly my most professional looking photo I have. :)

Attachments

• sdn.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 287
Hey everyone, count me in as well! I'm really looking forward to starting at Rush, I really loved it when I interviewed. Didn't make it out to second look, had a paper due that I wanted to get just right, but I'm looking forward to attending!

P.S. I've been away from SDN for quite a while, cheers to everyone!

Edit: I'm looking at living in Wicker Park/Bucktown. Pros/Cons? Other recommendations?

Hey guys, my husband and I are seriously considering getting a studio at The Streeter in Streeterville...anyone have any feedback on that place? We're from St. Louis and I feel like I'm shooting in the dark here. Thanks so much. :)