Rush or U Wisconsin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xfacxter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I just got accepted to Rush and U of Wisconsin. I wanted some insight from people who go there or who are very familiar with both schools. It's so difficult to decide, so any help will be greatly appreciated! As for me, I'm from california, so as for tuition, it's just about the same.

Members don't see this ad.

is this even a Choice? Its like Iowa vs. LA or somthing. Rush for sure. I dont care how good the cheese is... unless you live near WI

This is definately a choice:
In terms of location, Madison is FUN FUN city. Super young, lots of places to go out, lots of things going on..... you can't go wrong if your looking for great sports, lots of cultural things to do, and awesome night life.

That being said, Chicago would be amazing too.

In terms of schools:
U of Wisc is generally considered a better school than Rush. Take away the fact that Wisc is ranked ahead of rush in BOTH primary care and research rankings... alot of residency directors sing praises for wisconsin's educational innovation. It really is making its way quickly to "university of washington" level.

Both schools are graded (A,B,C). A downside to U of Wisc is that you do rotations all over wisconsin your last two years.. definately not as nice as doing rotations at cook county.

Cost wise..if your instate in wisconsin its definately cheaper than rush, as are living expenses.

You can't go wrong with either one. I don't think one school is significantly better than the other. I would say, overall, and in my opinion, that U of Wisc edges out Rush.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got U of Wisconsin in Nov, and just got accepted to Rush on Friday. Also CA resident. I have family in Wisconsin, but they're in Milwaukee, which is about the same distance from Madison and Chicago. I also have interviews at Jefferson and Drexel next month. How do these schools compare to Rush or U Wisconsin? Any help is appreciated! To OP, let me know when/what you decide! Thanks!

i've been accepted to uw (instate), and to mcw and loyola...no rush yet. university of wisconsin has beautiful facilities and opportunities to pursue just about anything you could choose. I think that it offers great educational opportunities. Idk much about Rush, but I would look at what you want to get out of medical school and compare what the schools have to offer.

I remember someone told me Rush has pass/fail system instead of grading. Is it true?

being from chicago, it would be hard for me to leave...but madison is definitely the better school, hands down. and madison is still a reasonably large city...not like chicago or even milwaukee...but not a handful of barns in a cornfield either.

is this even a Choice? Its like Iowa vs. LA or somthing. Rush for sure. I dont care how good the cheese is... unless you live near WI
UWisc > Rush in terms of rankings though. Madison is a definite college town, and Chicago is, well, huge. Which one do you want?