Rush vs U Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can compare the two programs in terms of clinical training, research, house staff satisfaction/benefits. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My information is a few years old from when I was on the interview trail, so things have likely changed since then. Also note that I interviewed at Rush but not U of C, so most of my information on U of C is through the grapevine.

In comparing the two I think U of C is much more heavily inpatient focused, their strength being neuro-critical care. Rush has an array of excellent general neurologists in addition to one of the strongest movement disorders groups in the country. When I interviewed at Rush nearly their entire stroke team had just jumped ship for Loyola, but I'm sure they have replaced most of these attendings by now. I've talked with residents from both programs and would say that the quality of life is much better at Rush (again this is from a few years ago). In terms of research, I think U of C was very highly regarded in the distant past, but I'm not sure how much that still holds true. I would wager you would be well positioned for a career in academics coming from either of these programs. Rush does require their residents to complete a research project sometime during their residency.

Overall, I would choose between these based on whether you're leaning more towards and inpatient or an outpatient focused career. You'll be well trained at either one of them.

Thanks Head! I really appreciate this :):thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if someone can compare the two programs in terms of clinical training, research, house staff satisfaction/benefits. Thanks!

I went to U of C, the faculties are super nice. call schedule is busy and pt load is heavy.:scared:

What I heard was that many faculties of Rush moved to UIC. Please double check with the rumor.

Thanks :) It's a front-loaded program so I guess that's why. I liked it actually. Honestly, I dont mind (I hope I dont regret this! mwahahaha!) working my ass off in residency as long as i really get the training enough to actually feel like I know what I'm doing after. Hahaha! I picked up the rumor before that attendings in U Chicago are stand-offish so I'm glad to hear it ain't so in your opinion. Personally, I felt that the faculty I met were very nice and welcoming when I interviewed there. But you know, there's always the fear that everybody's just on their best behavior during interviews. Still, that's the same wherever.

As for Rush faculty--they seemed pretty nice too. I didn't pick up on that rumor but hopefully if there's someone around that could elucidate, go hack away on that keyboard!

I interviewed last year at all Chi-Town programs.

The entire Rush stoke group went to UIC as Gorelick became the UIC chair. Rush was activly recruiting and Im sure theywill have a strong stroke service in a few years, but they cant make up the loss. Overall, it felt like a strong program and one which really looks out for its residents. It was hard to find a distinction at UIC. It was across the street and full of ex-Rush faculty.

U of C has had a bad rap for work hours, uninterested research focused faculty and malignant interviews, I did not experience this at all. I think not filling any positions in the match 2-3 yrs ago forced them to change. The residents seemed happy and the reputation os the strongest in the city, although it seems that Rush is the "best" currently.

Northwestern is really up and comming having big names in stroke, one of the founders of neurocritical care coming from UVA and the chair was big in stem cells. They have more money than god - the facilities show it and they are really recruiting faculty well now. I think they will be the premier Chicago Neuro program in a few years.

Loyola had really charasmatic faculty but the residents werent around much when I interviewed. I didnt know how to read that exactly.

Thanks :) It's a front-loaded program so I guess that's why. I liked it actually. Honestly, I dont mind (I hope I dont regret this! mwahahaha!) working my ass off in residency as long as i really get the training enough to actually feel like I know what I'm doing after. Hahaha! I picked up the rumor before that attendings in U Chicago are stand-offish so I'm glad to hear it ain't so in your opinion. Personally, I felt that the faculty I met were very nice and welcoming when I interviewed there. But you know, there's always the fear that everybody's just on their best behavior during interviews. Still, that's the same wherever.

As for Rush faculty--they seemed pretty nice too. I didn't pick up on that rumor but hopefully if there's someone around that could elucidate, go hack away on that keyboard!

:D People will be very nice during the interview no matter the faculties or the applicants. But "stand-offish" will be the better fit for the faculties in Northwestern.

I interviewed last year at all Chi-Town programs.

The entire Rush stoke group went to UIC as Gorelick became the UIC chair. Rush was activly recruiting and Im sure theywill have a strong stroke service in a few years, but they cant make up the loss. Overall, it felt like a strong program and one which really looks out for its residents. It was hard to find a distinction at UIC. It was across the street and full of ex-Rush faculty.

U of C has had a bad rap for work hours, uninterested research focused faculty and malignant interviews, I did not experience this at all. I think not filling any posistions in the match 2-3 yrs ago forced them to change. The residents seemed happy and the reputation os the strongest in the city, although it seems that Rush is the "best" currently.

Northwestern is really up and comming having big names in stroke, one of the founders of neurocritical care coming from UVA and the chair was big in stem cells. They have more money than god - the facilities show it and they are really recruiting faculty well now. I think they will be the premier Chicago Neuro program in a few years.

Loyola had really charasmatic faculty but the residents werent around much when I interviewed. I didnt know how to read that exactly.

Thanks! This is really helpful...and that bad rep reached my ears but yeah, I didnt see any trace of it when I was there. I liked Rush a lot too and there stroke service faculty are mostly young ones but they seem to have a lot of energy and direction.
So reputation-wise, U Chicago is best but in your opinion Rush is the best? Am I reading you right?

What Im saying is UofC has more name recognition, but from what I have heard among the Neurologists is that Rush has been considered the strongest program lately.

That said, losing the stroke dept to UIC hurt them and they are trying to keep their dept together. Northwestern has decided to become a real academic center which is starting to blossum for them now. So if you're applying now, I think northwestern will be the top dog during your residency.

All three are very, very good programs and depending on what you want to do should dictate your program of choice. UofC and NW are more academic and Rush will produce grads better set up for private practice.

How would you compare these programs to Wash U?

What Im saying is UofC has more name recognition, but from what I have heard among the Neurologists is that Rush has been considered the strongest program lately.

That said, losing the stroke dept to UIC hurt them and they are trying to keep their dept together. Northwestern has decided to become a real academic center which is starting to blossum for them now. So if you're applying now, I think northwestern will be the top dog during your residency.

All three are very, very good programs and depending on what you want to do should dictate your program of choice. UofC and NW are more academic and Rush will produce grads better set up for private practice.

Did you ever hear that NW are full of private practice pt and residents have less chance doing procedures?

Did you ever hear that NW are full of private practice pt and residents have less chance doing procedures?

That went out 10-20 yrs ago; its a full academic teaching center now.

To answer the other question, WashU is considered to be a stronger neuro program than the Chicago programs. You have to live in St Louis though.

That went out 10-20 yrs ago; its a full academic teaching center now.

To answer the other question, WashU is considered to be a stronger neuro program than the Chicago programs. You have to live in St Louis though.

Thanks a lot!:)