Rush vs UMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindyproject98

Reaction score
Rush

Pros:

- loved the school and community
- Chicago would be a nice place to live
- Stroger Hospital (safety net hospital)

Cons:
- slightly lower ranking than UMD

UMD

Pros:

- faculty and students were super welcoming
- have family nearby in Maryland
- lots of research opportunities

Cons:
- OOS tuition so more expensive than Rush ($11k/year more expensive)
- H/HP/P/F tiered grading system in pre-clinical years

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland is a better school (research dollars, PD rankings). They have a revamped pre-clerkship curriculum that is now closer to 18-months if that's important. Weather is not as severe in MD and family in the area could be very important to you. What is grading system at Rush ?

Reactions: 1 user
Maryland is a better school (research dollars, PD rankings). They have a revamped pre-clerkship curriculum that is now closer to 18-months if that's important. Weather is not as severe in MD and family in the area could be very important to you. What is grading system at Rush ?
Thank you so much for your advice! Rush has a Pass/Fail grading system which I prefer

ah, well that is something to consider. P/F can be a lifesaver from the perspective of stress and general well-being.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recent med grad. It’s not actually as important as you think in terms of pass/fail. In the scheme of things 10k per year should not be a deal breaker (recent grad). Some schools are not true pass fail anyway and it’s nice to have some objective grades cancel out the subjective clinical grades. It sounds from your post rush is in the lead. Get a roommate to save some $$$. You actually have limited time in med school for research. I never am one to say super welcoming faculty means anything as interview day is typically everyone on their best behavior. One think to think about: interviews tend to be regional for residency, would you prefer residency near Chicago/Midwest or east coast? I think you can do well at both! GL

Reactions: 1 users
Recent med grad. It’s not actually as important as you think in terms of pass/fail. In the scheme of things 10k per year should not be a deal breaker (recent grad). Some schools are not true pass fail anyway and it’s nice to have some objective grades cancel out the subjective clinical grades. It sounds from your post rush is in the lead. Get a roommate to save some $$$. You actually have limited time in med school for research. I never am one to say super welcoming faculty means anything as interview day is typically everyone on their best behavior. One think to think about: interviews tend to be regional for residency, would you prefer residency near Chicago/Midwest or east coast? I think you can do well at both! GL
Thank you for your insight, this helps a lot!

I would choose Rush. UMD isn't a top tier school, therefore not better than Rush. Rush is a cheaper option and they do P/F!! I would NOT throw P/F grading away for UMD.

Yeah it’s a tough decision! I also interviewed at Pitt, Emory, and a few other schools and am still waiting to hear back from those. Hopefully, once I hear back it’ll make my decision easier

Rush student here, it's not true P/F just so you know. Preclinical students are still ranked to my knowledge and our overall ranking is conveyed in our MSPE to residency directors.