WesternU COMP-NW (DO) vs. Rush Medical College (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which School?


  • Total voters
    17

WhiteCoatWolf

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
COMP-NW

Pros:

1. Access to outdoor rec/green spaces. I am very active in the outdoors (think skiing, mtn biking, trail running) and living in the PNW would give me access to cool places both on a weekly basis (close by) and on a more infrequent basis with trips to farther destinations in the greater PNW.
2. My wife loves the PNW and has told me that it is her first choice
3. Cheap flights from PDX back to my hometown
4. Lebanon OR is a small town that would be a change of pace and provide more intimate connections to classmates and the community.
5. Exposure to more rural medicine. I am primarily interested in EM as a specialty, and rural EM is definitely something I am considering.
6. COMP-NW has a strong match list for EM (Rush, OHSU, UC Davis, U of Arizona are standouts)

Cons:

1. Newer school may have less name recognition to residency PDs
2. Rotation sites are more spread out/fewer year-long rotation placements would mean more moving/longer commutes
3. With the exception of a match to Rush, lesser EM match rate in Midwest "county powerhouses."
4. The campus facilities are fine, but not amazing

Rush

Pros:

1. The MD degree still offers a lower friction experience.
2. My brother and sister-in-law live in Chicago, so we would have moderate built-in support.
3. More built-in support for research, which is increasingly important
4. True Pass/Fail preclinical
5. Stronger rotations/exposure to strong EM programs. More year-long placements. Stronger EM match list ( Can't find 2025 data but the 2022 list had B Israel, Emory, Case Western, and others)
6. Opportunity to live in a big city.
7. Classes start June 30th, so grandfathered into GradPlus loans for 3 years

Cons:

1. Less outdoor recreation access
2. My wife doesn't love the idea of living in Chicago, but admits she doesn't hate it either.


TL;DR: I was getting excited to go to school at a regionally respected DO program in an amazing location, but now I have the opportunity to attend a well known MD school in a big city.
 
Last edited:
I’m a current Rush M1. I am certainly biased, but I think you are much better off going to Rush. It is a great program with a great reputation. We have home residency programs and nearly every specialty. We are attached to a teaching hospital so you won’t have to drive for your rotations. Our classes are taught by doctors and there are many opportunities to build mentoring relationships. There is copious access to research, volunteering leadership opportunities here. We are located in a large diverse city with lots of great food and many natural spaces. Western U NW is a great school, but I think Rush really offers you so many more opportunities. at the end of the day, though you have to do what makes most sense for you and your partner.

If you can, I really recommend coming to our sneak preview day so you can get a sense of what the school looks like!
 
Last edited: