Rutgers MBS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heybeybey_itsme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread with hope that others applied or have already been accepted.
I was recently accepted, looking for others as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Starting this thread with hope that others applied or have already been accepted.
Hi! I just applied just in the process of getting my letter writers to submit the recommendation! What were your stats like and were you part of the Medical or Dental Scholars?

Hi! I just applied just in the process of getting my letter writers to submit the recommendation! What were your stats like and were you part of the Medical or Dental Scholars?
Not sure what a scholars means but I applied in hopes of going to medical school! cGPA: 3.4. sGPA: 2.9 but it I’ll go up after this last semester of classes I’m taking. Mcat: 495. What about you??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I also got in. I'm not sure about attending just yet - I'm trying to find more info about this program and the success rate if anyone knows?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I also got in. I'm not sure about attending just yet - I'm trying to find more info about this program and the success rate if anyone knows?
Are you a jersey resident?? I’m still on the fence as well im looking for others on the fb group but Its private so idk how I would get an answer

I’m a second semester student in this program (medical scholars). Feel free to ask me about it.
Hi there! So what were your stats going into the program? Do they have any type of mcat course for those that need it? What is the curriculum like and the difficulty? Would you say this a reputable program serving its purpose for making us competitive applicants? And any other info would be great! Thank you so much!

Hi, How long they took to accept after you have completed the application ?

I had a 3.3c/3.2s and matriculated a year after undergrad. I took the GRE instead of MCAT (forgot my scores; 65th percentile-ish).

There’s no support for MCAT prep so you’ll have to schedule that on your own.

The curriculum is generally good. Some professors are great, others not. All lectures are podcasted.

Depending on the course and their directors, A’s are given to the top 15-35% of the class. The majority’s of classes will not curve scores (A: 90-100, B+: 80-90, B: 70-80, etc.).

The vast majority of people take 3 semesters to graduate.

There are many opportunities to do research (mandatory lab rotation, optional master’s thesis). Scribe jobs are often advertised on the Facebook group. University Hospital is physically connected to the school.

The MS1 classes require pre-approval from administration. I saw your stats and you would not (initially) be approved to take them- meaning you’re going to have to wait until Spring 2020 to take them (assuming your Fall 2019 performance is spectacular). About 25-35% of our grad students end up taking one or more MS1 courses.

I wasn’t initially approved to take them, but it ended up for the better - I would have fallen flat on my face if I was thrown into the MS1 course off the bat. The standard GSBS courses gave me a ‘medical-like’ foundation.

If I could do this all over again, with unlimited time and resources, I would have taken up MCAT studying like it was my full time job and applied to a highly-reputable SMP (such as Georgetown, where I know the namebrand is good across the country and the rates of placement into medical schools is very high). That being a said, there are several students here who went to very reputable undergrad schools, scored very high on the MCAT and chose to do their master’s degree here.

I believe that this program is good for demonstrating that the you-of-yesterday is just that; the old you. If you choose to come here, it is a necessity to dedicate yourself to being an absolute rockstar and give it your 100%.

@Kardio where exactly are the classes? At the Robert Johnson medical school? Or in Newark?

There is an MBS in Piscataway (RWJMS) and Newark (NJMS). They are completely separate. I only know about the Newark one.

All classes are at or near NJMS.
What are the differences between the two? Just location?

I believe that the program in Piscataway is newer than than the Newark one. I don't know anything about the Piscataway program.

@Kardio are you in the program full time?? How many hours a week do you spend on average studying?

Are you a jersey resident?? I’m still on the fence as well im looking for others on the fb group but Its private so idk how I would get an answer
I'm not a Jersey resident - I'm from Texas, which is why I'm on the fence especiallya bout the move and cost. I also got into another program at Drexel so I'm having a really hard time deciding.

I'm not a Jersey resident - I'm from Texas, which is why I'm on the fence especiallya bout the move and cost. I also got into another program at Drexel so I'm having a really hard time deciding.
Wait I’m from Texas too! lol I’m currently applying to a program at Drexel as well.. don’t think I’ll be going to this one either

Members don't see this ad :)
Also guys, as you're looking at these programs, I don't think that a "Guaranteed Interview" anywhere should weight heavily on your decision. Schools may be using this as a marketing tactic.

@Kardio In terms of grading in the Rutgers Program, are you given the same exams as the medical students in the medical classes? And then are you graded against them? Also, how helpful is the program in terms of advising? I'm asking because I was also accepted to the University of Cincinnati's SMP and Georgetown's SMP. Both are reputable but more expensive than Rutgers. Would you recommend Rutger's over those programs?

@Kardio In terms of grading in the Rutgers Program, are you given the same exams as the medical students in the medical classes? And then are you graded against them? Also, how helpful is the program in terms of advising? I'm asking because I was also accepted to the University of Cincinnati's SMP and Georgetown's SMP. Both are reputable but more expensive than Rutgers. Would you recommend Rutger's over those programs?

Kardio I'm interested in this as well because I feel like a program like Cincinnati or Gtwn is better and be around longer.

Is Drexel the program that guarantees admission if you get a certain GPA?
It's also a guaranteed interview once you get a certain GPA/MCAT, but their program takes 2 years instead of one because it includes a year to prep for MCAT.

To those who applied, was your application portal consistently updated? I thought Rutgers received all my materials but it’s not showing up on the portal. Do you usually call to find out if your application has been completed?

To those who applied, was your application portal consistently updated? I thought Rutgers received all my materials but it’s not showing up on the portal. Do you usually call to find out if your application has been completed?

They got back to me within two weeks via email, and I didn't check my portal that often. I would send an email or call them if you want to make sure though!

The portal is updated frequently. If you see something hasn't yet been received, I would give them a call. My portal indicated that none of my letters (sent 1 month prior) had been received. I called and straightened it out - portal was updated within the hour.

Hey everyone, I recently got accepted to to the Rutgers MBS Medical Scholars, but still debating whether I will benefit from the program. I'm applying for med school this cycle, taking my MCATs next month.

Anyone accepted their offer yet?

I’m a second semester student in this program (medical scholars). Feel free to ask me about it.

I have a low science GPA in undergrad and wanted to do a Masters to strengthen my med school application. I was debating between a post-bac and Masters, but by doing a Masters I will get a degree out of it. Would you suggest this is a good program for my case?

Also, how many students are in the program?

The MBS program in Piscataway and Newark differ in that Piscataway has only pre med students and Newark has both pre med and pre dental students.
I've heard that the Piscataway is more difficult to get into though. Not sure why that's the case.
The 50% matriculation rate to medical/dental schools is about correct. Dental is a bit higher though.

You can honestly go to any masters program. This one is not any special than the one in your state. I'd go to the one closet to your school or an SMP that specifically guarantees you an acceptance to their medical/dental school such as Nova's MBS.

Hi! I'm looking to apply to the NJMS program as my first choice, I was wondering if anyone was able to shed light on their stats?

Hi guys,
I just applied to Rutgers yesterday. I just wanted to confirm -- we just need to have our 'unofficial' transcripts uploaded onto our application right? Do we have to send official transcripts now too or only once we're admitted (if we get accepted)?

Thank for the help!

Hi! Are there are predental students at the Piscataway campus?

A couple years back when I applied, all pre-dental students had to apply to Newark campus. Not sure if this has changed.

To the people who got accepted, when did you apply and when did you receive your acceptance?

Hi guys,
I just applied to Rutgers yesterday. I just wanted to confirm -- we just need to have our 'unofficial' transcripts uploaded onto our application right? Do we have to send official transcripts now too or only once we're admitted (if we get accepted)?

Thank for the help!
l

I sent in my unofficial transcript with my application. Once you get accepted, then you send the official transcript.

Thank you! If you don’t mind can you tell me your stats and which school did u apply to Newark or Piscataway?

I applied to Newark with a 3.2 uGPA and a GRE score of 156/144. I'm still debating whether this program is worth it or not..

I applied to Newark with a 3.2 uGPA and a GRE score of 156/144. I'm still debating whether this program is worth it or not..

I applied to Newark too, I’ve been hearing mixed reviews about it though.

I applied to Newark too, I’ve been hearing mixed reviews about it though.

The program is costing me $50,000 and not giving me enough loans. I just don't think its worth it for the price I'm paying especially since its just guaranteed interview. Still deciding though!

The program is costing me $50,000 and not giving me enough loans. I just don't think its worth it for the price I'm paying especially since its just guaranteed interview. Still deciding though!

Helloooo,

I was wondering where you got the $50,000 price from?

I calculated tuition to be about $35,000 (for out of state students) from their website :eek:

Helloooo,

I was wondering where you got the $50,000 price from?

I calculated tuition to be about $35,000 (for out of state students) from their website :eek:

Yes, tuition is about $35,000, but since I'm out of state, housing would be an extra $12,000 and then they have other additional costs as well, totally about $50,000.

hi! just got accepted in the dental scholars program but was wondering if anyone had looked into housing? i’m worried about being in a bad area but have only heard about the 180 market apartment which is pretty expensive..

anyone hear about the aces program, cu3.0 mcat 508 and i was told i had to do a summer program to get in for the fall at piscataway

That doesn’t sound right. Was it from their office? I got into Piscataway and wasn’t told I had to do any kind of summer program.

anyone hear about the aces program, cu3.0 mcat 508 and i was told i had to do a summer program to get in for the fall at piscataway

Really? I did this program and they did try and entice some people into doing this pre-program. I don't think your stats are low enough to warrant having to do that. I'd send an email and clarify.

Others are asking if there are predental students in Piscataway, and there are. There is a diverse array of students, overwhelmingly pre-medicine (I'd say mostly pre-DO/MD, slight edge to students who are preparing to go the DO route), pre-PA, dental, PT, etc. They do offer an accelerated program for students who satisfy certain requirements to apply very late in the cycle (think April) for matriculation that fall. It is selective and difficult to do, but a good number of people each year end up getting in, maybe around 4-6 when all is said and done (I was one of these students one year). Some may get placed on the HPWL and depending on movement in a given year the number can vary. Of course those who complete the program also have a good shot at regular admission if they apply for the next cycle. I believe Newark runs their linkage program for earlier matriculation with different fundamentals and may (?) accept more students but don't quote me on that.

The Piscataway program is different and separate from the Newark program, as well as considerably smaller by enrollment. Piscataway does not offer any way of joining the M1 classes like Newark does. There is no real contact with the medical students whatsoever. Classes are taught mostly by the same faculty as M1 classes, and are essentially versions of/certain portions of the M1 courses. They are run on a semester-based schedule so they aren't exactly the same as the M1 blocks, and typically don't include the same breadth of information. The program is difficult as it is a true SMP, but manageable to do well if you take it seriously enough. It is a SMP, so it's best to treat it as your last chance because not performing well in a SMP can be a death knell.

There are no MCAT prep courses or dedicated study time or anything like that, and any attempt to get into the accelerated acceptance is really self-motivated and requires a lot of planning and seeking out information on your part. They try to not encourage too many students from trying it/focusing on it because they don't reserve seats for more than 2 or 3 students, and plan to only get a handful at the end of the year who are eligible for applying, so keep that in mind. You are also not guaranteed the interview, they reserve the right to reject your application though I believe they typically interview all students who satisfy the requirements, which hovers around 20 or so, many of which end up having a lower MCAT than the school's average and can be chalked up to an obligatory "practice MMI".

Hello is there a facebook page for new students? I cannot find it

That doesn’t sound right. Was it from their office? I got into Piscataway and wasn’t told I had to do any kind of summer program.

Really? I did this program and they did try and entice some people into doing this pre-program. I don't think your stats are low enough to warrant having to do that. I'd send an email and clarify.

i was surprised too since im not really far off from their avg gpa at all and am pretty above the avg mcat

but I called the office and spoke to someone, I asked them if I don't do the summer program (for an extra $2k) will I not get in and they basically told me yes but offered it more so as a conditional acceptance. my admission decision online is still pending so I'm not denied or accepted yet, but it would definitely be annoying if this was just a scheme and I would have still gotten in at some point

I did this program in 2015 and finished in 2016 ( 2 semesters). I was accepted halfway through the program into dental school. If you have any questions about the program feel free to reply or PM. This program was the best thing I have ever done. Wouldn't be where I am without it.

hi! just got accepted in the dental scholars program but was wondering if anyone had looked into housing? i’m worried about being in a bad area but have only heard about the 180 market apartment which is pretty expensive..

I lived in 180. The area near school isn't bad. I came all the way cross country to do the program, and thus I decided to play it safe and just live in 180. There's a place across called "Society Hill," it's cheaper and walking distance to the school. I never went to class. I just went for the exams. Could've saved money living further off, but I just didn't care. Your goal is to 4.0 this program.

Anyone looking for an apt off campus? Would much rather live with students in the same program as me.

Also any info on a Facebook group?

Recently got accepted to both Newark and Piscataway and trying to decide between the two. The possibility of the late interview for RWJ is tempting but not sure if it's that much of a pro since it seems like a very small fraction are accepted. Newark is also much closer to me.

Anyone looking for an apt off campus? Would much rather live with students in the same program as me.

Also any info on a Facebook group?

If you search up the program on Facebook, the 2019-2020 group should come up that you can request to join. Didn't find anything for Newark.

Sorry, I should have stated Im attending Newark come fall, Ive heard good things about both, but newark is the more established program

Sorry, I should have stated Im attending Newark come fall, Ive heard good things about both, but newark is the more established program

Do you mind sharing your stats? I am not sure if I will be a good fit for the program.

Is anyone applying for the Spring 2020 program?