Rutgers MBS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurricaneg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I recently got my acceptance!! I'm on the Dental Scholars track. I was wondering if anyone else is planning on attending this fall!! Are you guys thinking of living on campus or taking the Fall semester online?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! I was recently accepted as well. I'm hoping to complete the semester on campus!

Heya! I got into both the Piscataway MBS, and the Newark MBS medical scholars track. I'm leaning towards the Piscataway program though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the name of the FB group?

Hi there! I was recently accepted as well. I'm hoping to complete the semester on campus!
Hey same!! I'm unable to access a housing application thought :(. Were you able to?

Does anyone know the name of the FB group?
Hey I'm not sure! I tried joining the official School of Grad Studies FB group but never got accepted haha

I plan on living off campus. Do y’all know the area well? Any suggestions?

How long did it take for the admission committee to review the application after being sent? I sent mine on May 26 and wanted to get an idea when I will be hearing back.

How long did it take for the admission committee to review the application after being sent? I sent mine on May 26 and wanted to get an idea when I will be hearing back.
I heard back about 7-10 days after!

For submitting the official transcripts do I have to wait until I hear back about admission decisions? Or do I have to submit official transcripts now?

For submitting the official transcripts do I have to wait until I hear back about admission decisions? Or do I have to submit official transcripts now?
I believe you can submit ur unofficial so that they can begin reviewing ur app, but they will need ur official transcripts and test scores if you are accepted. I would go ahead and begin requesting the official in case there is a hold up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was anyone able to fill out a housing application?

I have not tried yet. Is there an issue with it? Are you planning on on campus housing?
I'm not able to logon. Yup on-campus housing at 180 W Market St! I think they're gonna send us a separate email with housing information though!

For those that were accepted, what were your stats like? I have around a2.87 and got a 290 on the gre and really want to attend this program, do you think I should apply for the dental scholars?

For those that were accepted, what were your stats like? I have around a2.87 and got a 290 on the gre and really want to attend this program, do you think I should apply for the dental scholars?

My GPA is a 3.19 and I took the DAT and scored a 19 on it. I’m not sure about GRE scores. I think they’re waiving app fees due to the virus so I would still apply. At the least they’ll say no. But you never know. I was honestly surprised when I got the acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid the
My GPA is a 3.19 and I took the DAT and scored a 19 on it. I’m not sure about GRE scores. I think they’re waiving app fees due to the virus so I would still apply. At the least they’ll say no. But you never know. I was honestly surprised when I got the acceptance.

i wish they would waive the app fee lol i just submitted it and paid the $70! Did you submit your unofficial scores for test scores and just upload it with the supporting material or send original when applying? How long did they take to give you a decision?

I paid the

i wish they would waive the app fee lol i just submitted it and paid the $70! Did you submit your unofficial scores for test scores and just upload it with the supporting material or send original when applying? How long did they take to give you a decision?

Yeah, I found out after I paid too. I did submit unofficial transcripts and scores so they can begin reviewing. But I would still get the official transcripts to them ASAP so they can have it. Once you get accepted they’ll ask for official test scores. I submitted 4/24 and got accepted 5/11.

Yeah, I found out after I paid too. I did submit unofficial transcripts and scores so they can begin reviewing. But I would still get the official transcripts to them ASAP so they can have it. Once you get accepted they’ll ask for official test scores. I submitted 4/24 and got accepted 5/11.

do you know how many students they take / how full the class size is right now?

I went to a webinar
do you know how many students they take / how full the class size is right now?
I went to a webinar about recently and they said they still have spots open :)

Live in the cheapest place you can that's close to campus. You don't want to waste unnecessary money. You are all going to be studying away. The less distractions you have the better off you will be. I completed this program in 2016. Any questions PM me. I lived in 180 west market, but if I had the chance to do it again I would've lived either in society or somewhere cheaper. I never went to class. I just watched the recordings. I only went to campus to take the exams. I just graduated from dental school so the program works and helps you get in.

Hey! Congratulations on completing dental school! Yeah, I’ve been looking into a place that’s super expensive, but I’m not from there so I just want the security. I know I’d prob just stay in a lot so comfort is big for me. We’re you active with campus activities? Was it difficult to maintain a 3.7GPA?

Which one would you guys say is better: the one in Newark or New Brunswick? Are there any scholarships or need based grants for the “neediest” students? Thanks guys

Which one would you guys say is better: the one in Newark or New Brunswick? Are there any scholarships or need based grants for the “neediest” students? Thanks guys
I think the programs either in piscataway or newark but piscataway one is geared more towards pre med

Hey all! I received an initial email a couple days ago saying congrats I was admitted and that an email with next steps was forthcoming. Anyone else received additional emails after that one?

Hey all! I received an initial email a couple days ago saying congrats I was admitted and that an email with next steps was forthcoming. Anyone else received additional emails after that one?
Hey!! It took me about a week to get the additional email, if a week or a week and a half passes by and you're not getting it I would email Leslie Lucy! :)

Hey!! It took me about a week to get the additional email, if a week or a week and a half passes by and you're not getting it I would email Leslie Lucy! :)

Hey! What additional emails did you get? I want to make sure that I have received everything

Hey! What additional emails did you get? I want to make sure that I have received everything

Hi! I got the official acceptance email that you have to send back signed saying you're accepting the offer, essential functions document, and then two documents on how to set up our net id!

Hi! I got the official acceptance email that you have to send back signed saying you're accepting the offer, essential functions document, and then two documents on how to set up our net id!

Oh good! I’m always scared I overlook something

Congrats! When did you apply?
Thank you! I applied 5/14, but they did not start reviewing it until I emailed them about it because they thought I was going to submit a GRE or MCAT, which I didn't. 6/8 was technically when I applied to answer your question, but I had to email them again this week to get a decision so I can decide on a masters program. Moral of the story is to email if you haven't heard back in a while!

Figured I’d post my pros vs cons list:
Rutgers MBS
- Applied 5/8/20, accepted to NB (5/22) and N (5/26)
- I’m currently committed to NB/Piscataway, but still awaiting decision on one more program.

NB/Piscataway
  • Curriculum is more structured (3 required core classes + research project + 1 elective per semester if on 1 yr track) - I preferred this because I tend to do well on structure rather than freedom.
  • There are only premed students with you, no pre-dent, no pre-research, no MS1s.
  • Entering class is ~100, class sizes avg 80-100 for core, 20-30 for elective.
  • Committee provides committee rec letter
  • Research project (Capstone) will be mentored by faculty, and can be either an actual experiment, or literature review
  • New Brunswick area is supposedly nicer (I’m OOS, so this matters for me bc I’ll be moving with my fam)
  • I heard RWJMS distributes the cadavers for NJ. This program has Gross Anatomy in Spring with cadaver dissection, and basically there'll be 4-5 students per cadaver instead of your average 8-12 ppl in most other programs with dissection/med schools.
  • Linkage is opportunity (not guaranteed) interview to RWJMS if 3.6 gGPA, 3.0 uGPA, and 509 MCAT.
  • Unknown what proportion will be online. Waiting for more info.
  • 65% mean matriculation rate - stated by program director.
  • Alumni have told me that reaching the program directors/advisors becomes difficult with time, but can be overcome by stopping by their office prn.
  • Last class' entering stats: 250 applicants, ~100 matriculated; 21% OOS; avg gpa 3.24, avg MCAT 500, avg DAT 21 (1), avg GRE score V:55%, Q:54%, W:64%.

Newark
  • Curriculum has a lot of freedom (1-2 required core classes per semester for 1 year plan, and you can choose the rest as electives = 9 required credits, 21 electives).
  • There may be pre-dent or pre-research students in your classes besides premed.
  • You have the opportunity to take courses with NJMS MS1 students if your advisor allows it. Advisors stated in webinar that they do not recommend most students to do this.
  • Entering class is ~200, with class sizes averaging around 120 for core, and 25-45 for electives.
  • There's a research requirement (aka Masters research rotations and seminar, but there's an opportunity to substitute for an extra elective if you have stellar research experience)
  • Newark is more industrial, so finding housing might be a bit rough.
  • Linkage is guaranteed interview to NJMS if 3.6 gGPA and 509 MCAT.
  • 50-55% mean matriculation rate - stated in webinar.
  • Most courses will be online as per covid restrictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! I applied 5/14, but they did not start reviewing it until I emailed them about it because they thought I was going to submit a GRE or MCAT, which I didn't. 6/8 was technically when I applied to answer your question, but I had to email them again this week to get a decision so I can decide on a masters program. Moral of the story is to email if you haven't heard back in a while!
What was your gpa around if you don’t mind sharing?

Hi! I got accepted recently and received the email with addition Information. Did you guys send all the paperwork by postal service or did you guys email all the paper work back to them?
Another questions! Did you guys make an appointment with your adviser right away after getting accepted or waited to submit all your paper work?

Hi! I got accepted recently and received the email with addition Information. Did you guys send all the paperwork by postal service or did you guys email all the paper work back to them?
Another questions! Did you guys make an appointment with your adviser right away after getting accepted or waited to submit all your paper work?

Congratulations! I e-signed and emailed Lucy so that they could hold my seat and know I was interested. I also sent a hard copy with my check deposit in case they needed a hard copy.
Are we able to set the appt with advisors now?? I was actually waiting on a follow up email or something regarding that.

Congratulations! I e-signed and emailed Lucy so that they could hold my seat and know I was interested. I also sent a hard copy with my check deposit in case they needed a hard copy.
Are we able to set the appt with advisors now?? I was actually waiting on a follow up email or something regarding that.

Thank you!! And yea, most likely they will send us additional information.

Just got accepted! Does anyone know if fall semester will be online ?

I was accepted into the Piscataway program without taking the GRE
I want to apply to the Piscataway program but I haven't completed Organic Chem 2, and Physics 2. Plus I feel like my gpa is too low as compared to every other applicant.

I want to apply to the Piscataway program but I haven't completed Organic Chem 2, and Physics 2. Plus I feel like my gpa is too low as compared to every other applicant.

I think it’s worth a try! I’m pretty sure there’s application fee waivers too, so there’s no harm in trying. You never know.

I think it’s worth a try! I’m pretty sure there’s application fee waivers too, so there’s no harm in trying. You never know.

I definitely will try and see right now.

I Just submitted my application but I don't see where the application fee got waived.