Rutgers Medical School...do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm dying to get into Rutgers Med school, and I would love to hear from someone who has been accepted...

NJ resident
cGPA 3.70 (*might be 3.74 the time I apply)
science GPA: 3.65 (*might be 3.70 the time I apply)
MCAT: --will take it in March-- shooting 35, hoping for 30+

My ECs are pretty standard shadowing/volunteering in a hospital/volunteering in a private practice/leadership in my church/ artistic endeavors....(no research though...)

5 letters of recommendation + committee letter

...what do you think? the average MCAT is a 32...what if I get a 30? do I still have a good shot at getting in?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm dying to get into Rutgers Med school, and I would love to hear from someone who has been accepted...

NJ resident
cGPA 3.70 (*might be 3.74 the time I apply)
science GPA: 3.65 (*might be 3.70 the time I apply)
MCAT: --will take it in March-- shooting 35, hoping for 30+

My ECs are pretty standard shadowing/volunteering in a hospital/volunteering in a private practice/leadership in my church/ artistic endeavors....(no research though...)

5 letters of recommendation + committee letter

...what do you think? the average MCAT is a 32...what if I get a 30? do I still have a good shot at getting in?
Thanks!

As good a shot as anyone else, me thinks (which is to say ~2%). I wouldn't set your heart on any one school. The way this process works, apply to any schools where you can see yourself going. Then if you send out 12+ applications, you have a decent chance of landing a spot in a class. It's emotional suicide to fixate on one school; it's just not likely you'll get in there.

Reactions: 1 users
As a NJ resident, your odds are in your favor. By why no research? How much do they care about that part? (i.e. if it's a school with lots of research $$$, they might.) Why do you want to go there? Be sure to express your sincerest interest, but only after researching the school. It might help if you know a Rutger's-affiliated MD who you could get to know/shadow who tell you some inside scoop, if you're nearby. And don't get your heart set for any one particular school. Apply elsewhere too.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking to hookup with gay guys, NJMS is the perfect med school. Closet full of gay med students there. Don't ask me how I know ;) :rolleyes: