RVC c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittykat127

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just received an email this past week saying I got an interview to Royal's 5 year program! I was wondering if anyone had insight into the program and what interviews are usually like? I am super nervous because it is my dream school. I also was told that the five year program is better in certain aspects because you get more hands on experiences. Does anyone have any knowledge they would like to share? Also I also read that its hard to find housing with an animal. I have a cat I was hoping to bring with me if I was accepted. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know much about the interview, but I also applied this year and am hoping to get an interview. Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application and when/how the interview would be?

I have 3 cats and I am planning to bring them with me to no matter where I end up next year! I haven’t looked into housing yet but flying into UK, cats need to be in the cargo. I would probably have to solve this before thinking about the housing situation. ;)

The interview is an MMI format, or at least was last year, but they may change this due to covid (unsure how easy MMI is to do over zoom). For me, it was one of my favourite interviews - the questions were fair and attempting to understand how your thought processing goes, but I found the interviewers were much more approachable than I have seen with other schools so even if the question seems hard, they help guide you through what they want to see! Unfortunately, we are not allowed to give specifics of the actual interview questions, but I believe it was 6 stations with 5 min question/answer time and you rotate through them one by one.
I did not end up accepting my seat, so I can't comment on the different program types. I did go visit last year and the students seemed to love it, the only qualm they had was that things were a bit disorganized, but after starting my first semester at another school, this kind of seems to be true for a lot of schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh! I have not gotten any notification from them! Super scared!

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 5 year interview invite last week as well! They haven't sent out the formal invites yet so that may mean they are still sending out notifications for the next couple of weeks.

What do you mean by formal invites? Then how did you get a notification.

I applied for the four-year (c/o 2025) and they said they would be getting back to us by the end of October and I haven't heard anything yet? RVC is my #1 school so I'm a little stressed.

They stated that a formal invite was coming later with dates I believe, the other email was more of a notification. As for the cats, its a big city so it should be pretty easy to find a sublease or an apartment that allow pets. I have lived in a big city for all of undergrad and post-grad and have never had trouble finding housing for 2 cats. Dorms may be more of a stickler if they aren't a support animal. However living in an apartment may end up being cheaper in the long run anyway, or at least thats what I have found.

Hey there!
I also got an interview for the 5 year program, but no email about when the interview will be yet! I have a dog and I am expecting to be able to take him with me. I know an alumni vet who was able to easily take her dog with her and she said it was really easy to find a place to live (albeit expensive) as most people in the vet program have some kind of animal.

I applied for the four-year (c/o 2025) and they said they would be getting back to us by the end of October and I haven't heard anything yet? RVC is my #1 school so I'm a little stressed.

I applied to the four year too! No news whatsoever!

Can I ask when you all submitted your application? I haven’t heard anything and I’m getting really nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my app on VMCAS Sept 13. On 9/24, I got an email stating they were reviewing my application. On 10/29, I got an email saying that they will send me a formal invite soon. I received the interview invite for the 5 year program today.

I am an international student from the US and I submitted my app on 9/15, and received a formal invitation for an interview for the 4 year program today, which is scheduled on 11/20. Anyone have any insights on how best to prepare for the RVC interview?

I just received mine too! :singing:

Yay congrats!!!!!

I sent my application in on 9/17 via VMCAS, just received the invite today for 11/20 at 9:45am (my time, in New England)

I wish I knew how to prepare for this interview - I also have 3 (was 4 but I got one moved) exams and a research paper due 11/18 and 11/19 so... this should be fun o_O

I am an international student from the US and I submitted my app on 9/15, and received a formal invitation for an interview for the 4 year program today, which is scheduled on 11/20. Anyone have any insights on how best to prepare for the RVC interview?
Congrats!

I am also an international student from the United States. I received my formal invitation via email on 11/9 for the 4 year program, and my interview is scheduled for 11/23. I am also wondering what the best way to prepare for this interview. Based on my research, I would say make sure to know your application experiences by heart and be able to expand on such. I also saw a post from a former RVC from several years back which stated they have to explain the breakdown of adipose tissue (granted this occurred while interviews were still taking place in-person. With this being said, I am planning on studying a surface level of biology/science information. Let me know if you find/hear any more recommendations.

Congrats!

I am also an international student from the United States. I received my formal invitation via email on 11/9 for the 4 year program, and my interview is scheduled for 11/23. I am also wondering what the best way to prepare for this interview. Based on my research, I would say make sure to know your application experiences by heart and be able to expand on such. I also saw a post from a former RVC from several years back which stated they have to explain the breakdown of adipose tissue (granted this occurred while interviews were still taking place in-person. With this being said, I am planning on studying a surface level of biology/science information. Let me know if you find/hear any more recommendations.

I have absolutely no clue how adipose tissue breaks down in any period of my life.

I have absolutely no clue how adipose tissue breaks down in any period of my life.

^^^ same though, and I know I've learned it multiple times.

I've heard that they give you what to prepare for in the interview invite email, they won't ask you anything else.

This year's says it will NOT be testing us on academic knowledge, so even if they do ask you about the breakdown of adipose tissue, they don't care if you get it correct, they're looking for your thought process and how you approach the question.

This is what my email said, I'm sure everyone else got the same one (or something similar). But just in case someone didn't or hasn't read the email yet, here it is:

Your interview itself will be in the format of multi-mini interviews, involving six stations. The stations are designed to test and identify the qualities and skills we are looking for in our veterinary medicine students and not to test your academic knowledge. We will be looking to assess your:
  • understanding and insight into the profession;
  • empathy and understanding;
  • analysis, problem solving and reasoning;
  • curiosity;
  • quality of observation;
  • resilience and self-reflection;
  • communication skills and
  • understanding of ethical frameworks
I've heard from almost everything I've seen about the interview that there is almost always an ethics questions and one about the understanding/insight into the profession. Personally, I am preparing some personal stories about things I've learned from my experiences, but I would be prepared to answer an ethics scenario too (ie: A woman who will not euthanize her cat even when you recommend it).

TLDR: They MAY ask you about the breakdown of adipose tissue, but as long as you can provide a succinct response and justify your answer (reasoning), they won't hold it against you if you get it wrong.

This year's says it will NOT be testing us on academic knowledge, so even if they do ask you about the breakdown of adipose tissue, they don't care if you get it correct, they're looking for your thought process and how you approach the question.

TLDR: They MAY ask you about the breakdown of adipose tissue, but as long as you can provide a succinct response and justify your answer (reasoning), they won't hold it against you if you get it wrong.
I was accepted to RVC but didn’t end up attending the school last year. Our email laying out the interview was similar where they said they would not ask for medical knowledge but did ask a question where you did have to explain something medical. To prepare for the interview in general, make sure to look up MMI interview tips on how to succeed in these type of interviews and recognize how these station are demonstrating a certain quality (and so how to show that quality outwardly - such as explaining your thought process). And with any vet school interview, review your application beforehand and know what experience or moments in your veterinary career you want to highlight.

I might be a little late to this, but I got confirmation my application was received on 9/24. I have not heard anything about interviews and I'm starting to get worried. Should I email admissions, assume I did not get an interview, or wait and hope something happens?

I might be a little late to this, but I got confirmation my application was received on 9/24. I have not heard anything about interviews and I'm starting to get worried. Should I email admissions, assume I did not get an interview, or wait and hope something happens?
I haven’t heard anything either and I’m starting to get worried too.

I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one in this boat, but is there anybody around that might be able to give us a little insight? I'm sure we can't be the only 2 people this has happened to.

I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one in this boat, but is there anybody around that might be able to give us a little insight? I'm sure we can't be the only 2 people this has happened to.

I wish I could tell you and @aperk either way. I watched a webinar about the application process this summer and it says they send out interview invites in batches and not to panic if yours aren't in the first batch! Not sure how they're making the decisions about who to send invites too though.

For now, I'd say no news is good news! I'm sure that's not very reassuring as the waiting is absolutely killing all of us, but hang in there, I'm sure y'alls invites are on the way!

Here's the link to the webinar in case anyone is interested:

I wish I could tell you and @aperk either way. I watched a webinar about the application process this summer and it says they send out interview invites in batches and not to panic if yours aren't in the first batch! Not sure how they're making the decisions about who to send invites too though.

For now, I'd say no news is good news! I'm sure that's not very reassuring as the waiting is absolutely killing all of us, but hang in there, I'm sure y'alls invites are on the way!

Thank you! This definitely makes me feel a little better!

Thank you so much! this is actually super helpful!

Hi, im an international student applying to RVC this cycle. I also received an email regarding interview, but I am struggling here a bit because the portal they use requires us to upload any further information to back up the animal experience section if it hasn't been approved by a LOR, but the organization I worked at has not responded back to me so I could not upload them prior to my interview. Does anyone else have a similar problem or problem regarding rescheduling the interview?

Hi, im an international student applying to RVC this cycle. I also received an email regarding interview, but I am struggling here a bit because the portal they use requires us to upload any further information to back up the animal experience section if it hasn't been approved by a LOR, but the organization I worked at has not responded back to me so I could not upload them prior to my interview. Does anyone else have a similar problem or problem regarding rescheduling the interview?

I would reach out to RVC Admissions - I had done so because I wanted to know how much detail to give on a letter verifying my veterinary experience because my LOR was not sufficient to confirm the 70+ hours. Turns out they looked at my LOR again and it apparently was good enough and I did not have to submit anything extra!

Either way, I'd reach out to them so they are aware - when is your interview? It took them about 48 hours to get back to me, just a heads up!

I would reach out to RVC Admissions - I had done so because I wanted to know how much detail to give on a letter verifying my veterinary experience because my LOR was not sufficient to confirm the 70+ hours. Turns out they looked at my LOR again and it apparently was good enough and I did not have to submit anything extra!

Either way, I'd reach out to them so they are aware - when is your interview? It took them about 48 hours to get back to me, just a heads up!

My interview is in a day.. haha but I have emailed them three days ago and have not gotten a response back. Did your letter of recommendation verify both your veterinary experience and animal experience?

My interview is in a day.. haha but I have emailed them three days ago and have not gotten a response back. Did your letter of recommendation verify both your veterinary experience and animal experience?
I had my interview in person several years ago, but I doubt they have changed much in this respect. I didn’t have my additional information since they give you a limited timeframe and they didn’t care. You interview and when you get accepted it’s just contingent on you getting that information in. I had mine in a full two months after my interview and I’m in my final year now so it should be okay!

No, I had separate letters for my animal experience and my veterinary experience!

I would listen to @LabLuv004 above since they were in a similar situation that worked out for the best! I'm sure they'll be fine if you don't have it! Best of luck with your interview :)

I have an interview for the 5 year program as well. They want me to upload the evidence of 70 hours experience when I have on my VMCAS that I work at NCSU CVM large animal hospital... do you think I should still email them? I was just going to tell them over the interview that I've worked at the CVM for over year I even got one of the residents to write a reference letter to all of the schools I applied to. Not sure what to do because I figured I wouldn't need to add evidence of extra hours.

I have an interview for the 5 year program as well. They want me to upload the evidence of 70 hours experience when I have on my VMCAS that I work at NCSU CVM large animal hospital... do you think I should still email them? I was just going to tell them over the interview that I've worked at the CVM for over year I even got one of the residents to write a reference letter to all of the schools I applied to. Not sure what to do because I figured I wouldn't need to add evidence of extra hours.
I was also asked for evidence of hours when my letter of rec should have covered it. I just asked the person who wrote me the LOR to write another clarifying statement with my hours and I uploaded that (I did feel a bit annoying though). You could probably ask whoever oversees your work now to write you a statement for evidence, even if it isn't the resident you used for your letter.

I was also asked for evidence of hours when my letter of rec should have covered it. I just asked the person who wrote me the LOR to write another clarifying statement with my hours and I uploaded that (I did feel a bit annoying though). You could probably ask whoever oversees your work now to write you a statement for evidence, even if it isn't the resident you used for your letter.
Thanks, I can ask my supervisor I didn't even think about that! She will resign in a few days however so it might be inopportune :shrug:

Everything went well! Thank you so much for your advice:))
No, I had separate letters for my animal experience and my veterinary experience!

I would listen to @LabLuv004 above since they were in a similar situation that worked out for the best! I'm sure they'll be fine if you don't have it! Best of luck with your interview

I had my interview in person several years ago, but I doubt they have changed much in this respect. I didn’t have my additional information since they give you a limited timeframe and they didn’t care. You interview and when you get accepted it’s just contingent on you getting that information in. I had mine in a full two months after my interview and I’m in my final year now so it should be okay!
Yeahh i received an email back from RVC regarding my inquiry, and they said to upload it when they are ready:) thank you so much for your advice!!

How did everyone's interviews go? I have mine next week and I'm honestly not sure how to prepare or if I should even spend time preparing because the MMI's sound fairly unpredictable

How did everyone's interviews go? I have mine next week and I'm honestly not sure how to prepare or if I should even spend time preparing because the MMI's sound fairly unpredictable
My interview is on 12/9 and I’m just looking over my work experience and prepping myself for sounding confident when answering the questions! I also have no idea how to prep in terms of content, but I also expect that that’s kind of the point! Good luck!

Hi! I think my interview went well, I wasn't unhappy with how I did but if I think about it too hard I get stressed out about things I wish I could have done differently.

Honestly, I spent the whole night before preparing with my sister and only one of the questions I had prepped for showed up. I would look at some ethics questions and think about what you would do in certain situations. I liked this website to help me prepare, it goes pretty in depth with their answers, which I would say you don't need to know, but just to get you thinking about how you would handle situations like these: What would you do case studies | The Animal Welfare Foundation

Most everything else you really can't prepare for. There was one question that was personal to my experience, so make sure you have some knowledge of your experiences (veterinary practice, research, other animal experiences, etc).

Also make sure when you're answering to give reasons for all of your answers. They don't care if its right or wrong, just that you can back up why you think that way. Don't get frustrated, some of them will try to make you upset on purpose! Other than that I would say just relax and be yourself! I found all of the interviewers to be really friendly and welcoming, which made me feel at ease.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I liked the interview! I would not prepare or stress, I think it makes it worse!

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone attending the Q&A sessions for RVC this week? I received an invitation a week ago and I chose tonight, and I am kind of nervous as I am not sure how much face time it entails or how many questions I should ask. Has anyone attended one of these yet?

Is anyone attending the Q&A sessions for RVC this week? I received an invitation a week ago and I chose tonight, and I am kind of nervous as I am not sure how much face time it entails or how many questions I should ask. Has anyone attended one of these yet?
I am! I'm attending Thursday's session. I have no idea what to expect, maybe one of our peers will chime in. I don't really have too many questions so I'm just planning on having my camera on but staying quiet as everyone else speaks :lol:

My computer literally broke 5 minutes before today's interview, but I managed to log in on my phone and do the interview that way. The interview was super fun!

My computer literally broke 5 minutes before today's interview, but I managed to log in on my phone and do the interview that way. The interview was super fun!
Omg I would have been so stressed :eek: Glad it went well for you!

I needed a new computer anyways I hope everyone did/does great on theirs!
Hopefully I did! I went to the Q&A thing today and the woman alluded to maybe people getting acceptances earlier than they said at the end of the interview. She said that last interviews are 12/18 and they have 3 days after that before they go on holiday sooooo... she also said they'd be doing acceptances when they got back so hopefully we start finding out before the end of January/early Feb :oops:

Hopefully I did! I went to the Q&A thing today and the woman alluded to maybe people getting acceptances earlier than they said at the end of the interview. She said that last interviews are 12/18 and they have 3 days after that before they go on holiday sooooo... she also said they'd be doing acceptances when they got back so hopefully we start finding out before the end of January/early Feb :oops:
I missed the Q&A sessions, but how wonderful it would be for us to get an acceptance by xmas!!! 😁

Does anyone know when we need to have our 70 hours of animal experience completed by? I had my interview yesterday and thought all was well up until this point, but I checked my portal today and the animal experience I had used was marked unacceptable (even though I put it on my supplemental application) because it was with non-live animals. This was all I had gotten since March 2019 and I would have tried harder to get live animal experience this summer if not for COVID (I have the vet hours btw). I am helping someone with dog agility training and I could get 70 hours completed in the near future but I'm not sure if its too late and can't find the website page where that info is. I'm kind of freaking out!!

Does anyone know when we need to have our 70 hours of animal experience completed by? I had my interview yesterday and thought all was well up until this point, but I checked my portal today and the animal experience I had used was marked unacceptable (even though I put it on my supplemental application) because it was with non-live animals. This was all I had gotten since March 2019 and I would have tried harder to get live animal experience this summer if not for COVID (I have the vet hours btw). I am helping someone with dog agility training and I could get 70 hours completed in the near future but I'm not sure if its too late and can't find the website page where that info is. I'm kind of freaking out!!
I think someone above said that it needs to be completed upon accepting your seat - so they could offer you the seat but its contingent on getting those hours done and verified! If you don't then they can rescind their offer.