RVUCOM-CO (Rocky Vista)vs OSU-COM (Oklahoma State)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmtodoc

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have recently been accepted to both RVUCOM-CO and OSU-COM, and am feeling torn between these two schools. They both seem like great schools and I personally enjoyed both accepted student's day (RVU) and my interview day at OSU. I am mainly interested in primary care (FM or IM), but would like to still be well prepared to match into a good residency program. Any advice would be helpful!

RVUCOM-CO
Pros
  • I am a CO resident, so close to home/family
  • Students seem happy
  • Great board scores and match rate
  • Faculty seem invested in student's education, offices are on campus and they have an open door policy

Cons
  • Tuition 60K+
  • High cost of living
  • spread out rotation sites (its a raffle of where you get to rotate in CO is my understanding)

OSU-COM (Oklahoma State)
Pros
  • Low cost of living
  • Brand new VA hospital opened in Tulsa associated with the school
  • Lecture optional
  • Guaranteed residency in OK

Cons
  • OOS Tuition is 54k+
  • Living in Oklahoma (lol)
  • Lower COMLEX pass rate (~90% over the last 5 years)

Summary: I think I would be happy at either school, which is why I am having such a hard time choosing! Any advice from current or former students would be super helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm voting OSU-COM for several reasons:
1. It's associated with a large state school, so it may have more resources available to you than a smaller school like RVU.
2. It has good research opportunities.
3. Tulsa honestly isn't the worst place. I grew up in the area and it is actually a reasonably cool city. While it's not NYC, it's also not the middle of nowhere.
4. OSU-COM has pretty generous scholarships, so keep in mind that there may be some money down the line. If you are from a neighboring state and have high enough stats, you are also eligible for in-state tuition.
5. It's not for-profit.
6. I'm familiar with some of the places that OSU students rotate, and they're pretty good.

edit: I re-read and I'm not sure you'd qualify as "regional" for OSU, but there still may be scholarship money coming your way!

Reactions: 1 user