RVUCOM-CO vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KrabbyPatty

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to both these great schools. I enjoyed both interviews, but enjoyed my AZCOM one more. I think they are both great schools with good match lists and good board scores. I am interested in keeping my options open to some of those more competitive specialties and do not want to feel like the school I attend will not prepare me for boards in a way where I can be competitive for things like surgery, anesthesiology, emergency med etc, if that is the path I choose to go down eventually. With that being said, I think both these schools did not try to push primary care but I am trying to get some more insight between the two schools outside of the pros and cons below. Any help is appreciated! I am not going to include board scores and such in these lists because I feel like they are pretty comparable in that sense (correct me if I'm wrong lol).

RVUCOM-CO-

Pros: Pass Fail grading, different tracks, curriculum has board review built into it through the two years (constantly reviewing old content so it can be fresher for boards), not that far from Denver, international externships encouraged

Cons: Not as close to home (I am from CA), no clinical rotations in CA, almost no research opportunities, more rural setting

AZCOM-

Pros: Many research opportunities (bolster residency app), can be invovled in clinical experiences early through HOME program, close to home (5-6 hour drive), sim lab plus standardized patient encounters, pretty much good weather year round except when you're melting in the summer

Cons: TUITION (Sheesh), not pass/fail, just changed up their curriculum a little bit so would only be second year on this newer style of curriculum

Any help would be appreciated! Anything I forgot or blatantly screwed up please tell me! I love both these schools but want to understand them more to make sure I am making the best choice!

Members don't see this ad.

There are only two times that CCOM's and AZCOM's tuition can be justified. 1.) when you don't have any other acceptance offers 2.) When the other school you're comparing this school to is a brand new DO school. Other than that, any other DO school would be a better fit. That tuition is insane and after interest you are looking at near half a million dollars. This school won't provide any extra advantages that a different established DO school won't provide as well. When it comes down to it, how YOU take advantage of your medical school opportunities and how YOU study will determine what type of doctor YOU become. Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: 1 users