RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else getting an error when submitting their secondary at RVU?

I have emailed and tried to call their office with no luck so far so just wondering if anyone else had similar problems or a work around...?

I had a problem, e-mailed them, they replied in a few hours and said it had been fixed.

So far, I'm 0/5 in "secondary invites with successful submissions" due to various IT errors.

Good start!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
What error were you all receiving? Were you not able to submit payment? The website let me submit mine but when I returned to the prospective students page it said "testing" above the link for the secondary application. I thought I could look at my completed secondary so I clicked on the link but it just pulled up a blank application...

Looks like the error is fixed...got my secondary in a few days ago.

....where did you see that you were "05 with successful submission"?

For anyone who got the rejection email saying that you didn't meet RVUCOMs minimum requirements, I believe they are fixing the problem as I just received a secondary from them.

I also have a question, on the application, there is a question that says:

RVUCOM offers an Early Decision Option. Candidates applying for early decision consideration must agree to only apply to RVUCOM. If accepted, the candidate must accept the offer to attend RVUCOM and submit a deposit of $2000 within 2 weeks of notification. Those applicants not accepted for Early Decision will be considered as part of the regular admissions process and are free to apply to other medical schools. All acceptances are provisional and contingent on the successful completion of meeting the requirements set forth in the matriculation agreement prior to the start of school.

Then it has a Yes/No drop-down box. It is kind of unclear: Do we click "Yes" as in "Yes I understand this policy" or "No" as in "No I do not want to apply early decision"?

For anyone who got the rejection email saying that you didn't meet RVUCOMs minimum requirements, I believe they are fixing the problem as I just received a secondary from them.

I also have a question, on the application, there is a question that says:

Then it has a Yes/No drop-down box. It is kind of unclear: Do we click "Yes" as in "Yes I understand this policy" or "No" as in "No I do not want to apply early decision"?

Hmmm...this question doesnt stick out in my mind, but from the looks of it, I would think that you should click 'no'. If it ends up being a no, I dont agree, then you wont be able to go any further with your application and then you can just change it to yes. But, Im pretty sure its a no, as in I dont want to do the whole early decision thing.

Hmmm...this question doesnt stick out in my mind, but from the looks of it, I would think that you should click 'no'. If it ends up being a no, I dont agree, then you wont be able to go any further with your application and then you can just change it to yes. But, Im pretty sure its a no, as in I dont want to do the whole early decision thing.

True...you are supposed to put whether or not you want to take part in the Early Decision Program.

After the essays, there is a box that says:

Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician

I felt like I told them enough in my essays, and they can see other things (volunteer activities, extra-curricular activities, etc) from other part of the application. So, I just left this blank. Will that make me look lazy? Is this what you all did?

After the essays, there is a box that says:

Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician

I felt like I told them enough in my essays, and they can see other things (volunteer activities, extra-curricular activities, etc) from other part of the application. So, I just left this blank. Will that make me look lazy? Is this what you all did?

Thats all I did too actually...I didnt feel lazy doing it. Maybe someone will use that section, but I felt like it would have been redundant for me to have used it. So, I left it blank

Hey! I was just wondering what the essays were for the secondary application. One of my schools was really slow at sending in transcripts, so my application still hasn't been verified...but I wanted to get started on the secondary.

Thanks!

Hey! I was just wondering what the essays were for the secondary application. One of my schools was really slow at sending in transcripts, so my application still hasn't been verified...but I wanted to get started on the secondary.

Thanks!

from what I remember...

Why DO?
Why RVU?
then the question posted above by the good DrDre...

(i actually think there is one more as well, but its been a while...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently they email your letter writers.... my research advisor doc just got a letter from them saying thanks for his reference and to feel free to directly contact the director of admissions if he had anything else to add about me as an applicant. He asked me if I thought he should call them... has anyone else heard about their letter writers getting this email?

I had no idea they would actually contact any of them haha, unless of course it was the school where one of them graduated from I guess.

Just starting on the RVUCOM secondary and was wondering some things:

How long were your essays? I was thinking about a half a page for each one...is there a word limit?

Also, for career changers...I've been working the corporate ladder along with taking night school pre-med classes. Should I just submit a CV or resume along with schooling explanation?

Thanks!!

Just starting on the RVUCOM secondary and was wondering some things:

How long were your essays? I was thinking about a half a page for each one...is there a word limit?

Also, for career changers...I've been working the corporate ladder along with taking night school pre-med classes. Should I just submit a CV or resume along with schooling explanation?

Thanks!!

My essays were about 1/2 page long and ranged from about 400 - 800 words each. I think it would be ok to submit a CV along with your essay but I would also explain what you have been doing in a narrative format as well.

from what I remember...

Why DO?
Why RVU?
then the question posted above by the good DrDre...

(i actually think there is one more as well, but its been a while...)

Can someone please confirm these and if there was in fact another essay question?

Can someone please confirm these and if there was in fact another essay question?

1. If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to submit a resume.
  2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?
  3. Why do you want to become an Osteopathic physician?
  4. Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?
  5. What unique characteristics, abilities, or skill will you bring to the college and to the Osteopathic profession?
  6. Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.

1. If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to submit a resume.
  2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?
  3. Why do you want to become an Osteopathic physician?
  4. Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?
  5. What unique characteristics, abilities, or skill will you bring to the college and to the Osteopathic profession?
  6. Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician

thanks! any word/character limit on these guys?

any word on how RVU class 2012 did on the COMLEX 1???? That would be interesting to know

Has anyone heard anything from RVU on their application yet?

I submitted what seems like forever ago and recently received an e-mail asking for the e-mail addresses of my recommenders. Crickets otherwise.

Has anyone heard anything from RVU on their application yet?

I submitted what seems like forever ago and recently received an e-mail asking for the e-mail addresses of my recommenders. Crickets otherwise.

That's because they contact your letter writers personally to ask if they have anything else to add. I haven't heard anything else from them.

No, I just made that all up.

:D Just kidding lol, yeah my letter writers got emails from the admissions director.

Interesting. My writers have not mentioned anything about it... Although my MD letter writer did approach me the other day and say, "So, have you ever thought about this whole DO route? It's a pretty good way to go as long as you don't want to get into optho, etc." and I was pretty floored by that random comment.

He's usually very conservative and very old school, so him mentioning and even recommending the DO route seemed waaaay out of left field... Maybe they sent him something... :shrug:

Did your writers write your letter this year? If not, maybe that could account for why they asked for any additional info...

yea i was wondering about this school too. havnt heard a peep from them in forever. i was thinkin about calling but maybe ill just wait

Interesting. My writers have not mentioned anything about it... Although my MD letter writer did approach me the other day and say, "So, have you ever thought about this whole DO route? It's a pretty good way to go as long as you don't want to get into optho, etc." and I was pretty floored by that random comment.

He's usually very conservative and very old school, so him mentioning and even recommending the DO route seemed waaaay out of left field... Maybe they sent him something... :shrug:

Did your writers write your letter this year? If not, maybe that could account for why they asked for any additional info...

Do you mean, did I apply last year and have the same writers? No, this is the first time I've applied DO so my letters are all new for their school.

Do you mean, did I apply last year and have the same writers? No, this is the first time I've applied DO so my letters are all new for their school.

I'm going to take this as a backwards way of saying yes. ;)

If you applied to any medical school last year and are using the same letters you used last year, it is possible that your LOR writers dated their letters. So, when viewing a letter that is over one year old, regardless of whether it has been used at their institution before or not, they might believe there is a chance your writers have updates.

Just a thought. Not substantiated by any means though...

I'm going to take this as a backwards way of saying yes. ;)

If you applied to any medical school last year and are using the same letters you used last year, it is possible that your LOR writers dated their letters. So, when viewing a letter that is over one year old, regardless of whether it has been used at their institution before or not, they might believe there is a chance your writers have updates.

Just a thought. Not substantiated by any means though...

Ohhh I get what you're saying now, lol. I thought you meant had I applied before and used the same letters. I have 3 letters that are brand new dated this spring/summer, and I know at least two of them were contacted still.

Ohhh I get what you're saying now, lol. I thought you meant had I applied before and used the same letters. I have 3 letters that are brand new dated this spring/summer, and I know at least two of them were contacted still.

Gotcha. ;)

Well, it sounds like they must be interested in you.

Does anyone have any insight on this:

For the first question, "If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to submit a resume. ", how should we submit a resume? Should we just copy and paste our resume into that space after an explanation of what we've been up to or should we email it to them separately?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any insight on this:

For the first question, "If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to submit a resume. ", how should we submit a resume? Should we just copy and paste our resume into that space after an explanation of what we've been up to or should we email it to them separately?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, it gives you the option to email it to the school to be attached to your file.

When did you get your confirmation that your application was complete?

I don't remember getting a "complete" email but I know they had my LOR's by 6/30 since my letter writers informed me they had been contacted via email to thank them for their references and ask if they had anything else to share. I submitted 6/27.

EDIT: Also, the woman said they had just completed reviewing their first "batch" of applications so if you were around that time you may be included in that batch. :)

congrats on the invite!

when you guys log onto the portal, under application does it just say "there are no active applications"?

any word on how RVU class 2012 did on the COMLEX 1???? That would be interesting to know

Good question. The dean said he will release that info as soon as the entire class has results in.
The catch: some students (who had academic difficulty) are taking the test this month. Their scores will take 4-6 weeks.
So.... Sometime in October we'll find out, unless he wants to give some preliminary numbers. But I doubt he'll do that because that's skewing the results (by not having those students' scores included).

Anecdotally, I can say that most everyone I've talked to passed. I can really only think of 1 or 2 who didn't.

And rotations are going well so far (10 days in) for everyone I've heard about as well!

Good luck with the applications guys. Don't be shy to contact admissions!

congrats on the invite!

when you guys log onto the portal, under application does it just say "there are no active applications"?

I actually called them about this and they said that it's just a problem with the website and that they figured applicants would just call and inquire about their status anyway so that message doesn't mean anything. I'd just call them tom and check on your status if I were u.

Congrats on the invite!!

So, I was just on my RVU portal looking to see if they would post invites there... And my page has oddly changed. Instead of the prospective student tab, I now have a RVU forum tab that lets me see housing and service announcements from the students. I wonder if that means anything :) Did this happen to everyone else?

I really want to go to this school, my friend just got her PhD and will start teaching Cell Bio and Genetics in the med school starting this Fall... She said its an awesome school. Plus, Colorado would be awesome!

Congrats on the invite!!

So, I was just on my RVU portal looking to see if they would post invites there... And my page has oddly changed. Instead of the prospective student tab, I now have a RVU forum tab that lets me see housing and service announcements from the students. I wonder if that means anything :) Did this happen to everyone else?

I really want to go to this school, my friend just got her PhD and will start teaching Cell Bio and Genetics in the med school starting this Fall... She said its an awesome school. Plus, Colorado would be awesome!

My tabs now say "Home" "Interview" "RVU Forum" and "My Pages." I can't remember if the forum was up before the invite lol

My tabs now say "Home" "Interview" "RVU Forum" and "My Pages." I can't remember if the forum was up before the invite lol

Aww, I don't have an interview tab... :( Yet... ;)

Edit: Funny story... About 10 min after I wrote this, I got a rejection from RVU by email... Ouch... Oh well! On to other schools.

Last edited:

Edit: Funny story... About 10 min after I wrote this, I got a rejection from RVU by email... Ouch... Oh well! On to other schools.

Awww I'm sorry!! There are plenty of other schools though, you will do fine :)

I'm sorry to hear about that... :( You'll get into enough places to get your choice of schools. ;)