RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I'm at the hotel right now, I'm staying at the Ramada Englewood/Denver South (which for the record is AT Centennial Airport but I wouldn't recommend flying in here, it is probably way more expensive than flying into Denver and driving the 30 minutes). I am a big fan of the hotel because they were totally booked and therefore had to upgrade me to a suite for free. It's pretty awesome, I have a kitchen, bar, 2 flat screens, separate bedroom and a jacuzzi tub :D I'm a big fan.

Checked out Parker today with a fellow SDNer and there's not much there but it's pretty beautiful here with the mountains in the background. We'll be checking out the area right around the school tomorrow after interview day since my flight doesn't leave until like 7:30 lol. Stay tuned!

That upgrade sounds sweet!

Good luck tomorrow!

You should check out Downtown Denver and the surrounding area while you're in town.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an Interview lined up for tomorrow, Sep 21st!

When I was trying to schedule my interview I originally had a November date but due to my job I asked if I could interview earlier and was able to slip in now in September. Some have commented on why are they Interviewing so late.

Katy told me that they have gotten more peoples application earlier this year than in years past and that October interview dates are filled and they only interview one week in November 8-10 due to testing and the holiday season. So December interviews are not that far behind in the "numbers game" when getting in for interviews.

I was excited and hope that the interview goes over favorably for me.

Best of luck to others!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm sitting in the airport with sradoctora after our interview day and it went great! The interview is super relaxed so don't worry. I got a pretty hard question ("What's the biggest problem in healthcare and how would you fix it?") and even though I'm no expert, the interviewers seemed like it was a good enough answer for a pre-med student lol. The best part of the day was that a tonnnnn of students came in to talk to us throughout the day, and they gave us a really great view of what it's like to be a student there. There are a ton of HPSP students there which I love because I'm really considering that program.

It's totally beautiful out there, I love the mountains :) For anyone staying at Ramada Englewood/Denver South, the hotel is kind of hard to find, it's at Centennial Airport but there are no signs so make sure you have decent directions (we just drove around until we found it because we had plenty of time). The hotel itself was nice, pool, breakfast, the usual. It's right down the street from the school, which was nice.

They told us we will hear next Monday about whether we got accepted: phone call if we got accepted, email if we got waitlisted (very few students) and regular letter if we get rejected (she said they reject verrrry few people). I think she said 75% of interviewees get accepted, which means we all passed the first hurdle which is great :D

My only concern is the financial status of the school, if you have loans from undergrad or grad school, if you attend another med school those loans are deferred until you graduate. Because RVUCOM does not yet qualify for federal funding, you have to talk to your lenders to make sure you don't have to start repayments when you are in med school (this could be a problem for anyone who has private loans). Talk to the financial aid office more info because they seemed verrrry helpful.

So I'm sitting in the airport with sradoctora after our interview day and it went great! The interview is super relaxed so don't worry. I got a pretty hard question ("What's the biggest problem in healthcare and how would you fix it?") and even though I'm no expert, the interviewers seemed like it was a good enough answer for a pre-med student lol. The best part of the day was that a tonnnnn of students came in to talk to us throughout the day, and they gave us a really great view of what it's like to be a student there. There are a ton of HPSP students there which I love because I'm really considering that program.

It's totally beautiful out there, I love the mountains :) For anyone staying at Ramada Englewood/Denver South, the hotel is kind of hard to find, it's at Centennial Airport but there are no signs so make sure you have decent directions (we just drove around until we found it because we had plenty of time). The hotel itself was nice, pool, breakfast, the usual. It's right down the street from the school, which was nice.

They told us we will hear next Monday about whether we got accepted: phone call if we got accepted, email if we got waitlisted (very few students) and regular letter if we get rejected (she said they reject verrrry few people). I think she said 75% of interviewees get accepted, which means we all passed the first hurdle which is great :D

My only concern is the financial status of the school, if you have loans from undergrad or grad school, if you attend another med school those loans are deferred until you graduate. Because RVUCOM does not yet qualify for federal funding, you have to talk to your lenders to make sure you don't have to start repayments when you are in med school (this could be a problem for anyone who has private loans). Talk to the financial aid office more info because they seemed verrrry helpful.

Thank you so much for filling us in. I'm glad you had such a good experience. This is my top school and hearing this just makes me more excited to interview in a few weeks.

This my top choice too! Complete 9/17. I hope to hear some good news soon. In my opinion, they push the "Let's get more docs into rural areas and get true humanitarians here" slogan the most, out of all the schools I've looked into. I hope they stand behind it :)

THANKS SEDANIEL!!!! I had an interview scheduled for Nov 10 but was on a list for an earlier date. I got called this morning and am now interviewing the 5th of Oct!!! Super pumped...and thanks to whomever cancelled (if they are SDN goers).:thumbup:;)

Knowing the 75% number is very reassuring and helps take care of "some" nerves.:oops:

My interview as on the 21st and as most commented the interview can be summed up as, Relaxing.

There where 12 (including myself) people that interviewed on the day I did. One of the students that was passing by to say hi and chat a little bit made the comment that we were a pretty big group.

As others have said the For Profit topic came up when the Dean was talking with us. I personally could care less about it but others want to keep bringing it up. My suggestion. Do your own research and if its an issue for you then don't apply.

As was mentioned about 70-75% of those interviewed get accepted.

Interview was very conversational. I was asked a lot about my personal statement and current work. Was asked what I thought the hardest thing about being a med school student was.

But a great experience and like the others Im waiting for that phone call monday afternoon!

Happy to entertain any questions.

EASY C....

Thanks for your update! I really appreciate those that are telling us about their experience! It is super helpful and I hope to offer the same soon (after Oct 5th:)).

Hope you hear some great news on Monday!!!!:thumbup:

Thanks sedaniel and easy c for the input! I'm really excited for the interview, even though it's more than a month away for me. Good luck to both of you!!! :luck:

Wondering what type of questions occured in the interview? What was the non-interview part of the day like?

Wondering what type of questions occured in the interview? What was the non-interview part of the day like?

It was very relaxed, mostly questions specific to my application. I did get a fairly difficult healthcare reform question but after I answered I got the feeling that they just wanted to know I was trying to stay up to date with healthcare news and that they didn't actually expect ME to have the answer to rising healthcare costs haha.

After the interview we had a tour, ate lunch, and had a finaid sesssion followed by wrap-up.

It was very relaxed, mostly questions specific to my application. I did get a fairly difficult healthcare reform question but after I answered I got the feeling that they just wanted to know I was trying to stay up to date with healthcare news and that they didn't actually expect ME to have the answer to rising healthcare costs haha.

After the interview we had a tour, ate lunch, and had a finaid sesssion followed by wrap-up.

Thanks for the info!!! I actually logged on to ask about the schedule of events....but you just answered that!!! I was initially scheduled for Nov 10th and received an earlier date of Oct 5th!!! :eek: My 6 weeks of anticipation turned into 1 1/2 weeks of nerves..and excitement of course!!! I was able to book flights this week for the 2nd-5th (for my husband and I) for $350 total....not bad at all!

This is my first...and only as of now...interview this cycle! I know I gotta kill it:) My bday is Oct 11 and an acceptance would be a great present!!! At least I am making it home in time for the Zombie Pub Crawl....6th annual....a great way to unwind from an interview mind you!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you reading this that are yet to interview......

I have noticed that a few people have gotten questions about the new healthcare reform. On my honeymoon I read this book in prep for "possible" upcoming med school interviews:

Landmark: The Inside Story of America's New Health Care Law and What It Means for Us All

This book breaks it all down by chapter regarding how the reform (as it is right now...I know many things will continue to change/be reformed) affects different individuals (ie..doctors/those with insurance through work/medicare/medicaid/children...etc you get the picture). It also seems pretty neutral...just breaks down each part of the reform and attempts to put it all in laymans' terms.

Just an FYI.......by the way....anyone interviewing the 5th of Oct????

Hey all! This forum has been really helpful for me...Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, for those that have been granted an interview...what was your gpa/mcat/ECs?

I've got major anxiety over mine & just want some closure. My application is complete as of September 10th...so I'm hoping that is still considered somewhat early.

My stats: gpa 3.3, mcat 28, Volunteer/Clinical: 1200+ Hrs with strong leadership, Research: 400 Hrs....

Just out of curiosity, for those that have been granted an interview...what was your gpa/mcat/ECs?

I've got major anxiety over mine & just want some closure. My application is complete as of September 10th...so I'm hoping that is still considered somewhat early.

My stats: gpa 3.3, mcat 28, Volunteer/Clinical: 1200+ Hrs with strong leadership, Research: 400 Hrs....

You should be in pretty good shape. Good luck!

You seem to be a very strong Applicant. All of my applications where done late July or 1st week of August so be patient.

It seems that Rocky Vista does do a pretty heavy screening process because we where told that they only invite a small percentage of those that apply for interviews. ( I dont remember if a number was thrown out)

The waiting game sucks! But Ice cream is a great companion!

Thanks so much you guys! I'm really excited today...I got an interview for Western, my number 1 school alongside ROcky!!!

Hey!!!!!

AdCom meets today right??? For those of you that have interviewed and will be hearing back today/tonight......GOOD LUCK!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Can't wait to hear from you all!!!!!!!!:)

ACCEPTANCE!!! I just got the phone call from Julie. They cut the deposit in half so only $250 is due up front, they will be sending official letters of acceptance and all the info the end of the week!
I hope everyone else gets good news soon too!

ACCEPTANCE!!! I just got the phone call from Julie. They cut the deposit in half so only $250 is due up front, they will be sending official letters of acceptance and all the info the end of the week!
I hope everyone else gets good news soon too!

CONGRATS!!!!!! You gotta be super excited! Thanks for sharing:D

COngrats to all those accepted! Can you please shed some light on your interview experience? I'm really nervous for my interview next week; thanks in advance!

I would go ahead and read through earlier parts of this thread and if you have questions then post them in respect to RVUCOM's interview process.

Me too!!! :soexcited:

Congrats Moose and Sedaniel!! Are you guys going to choose this school? I would love to be your classmates-- wish me luck on Oct 11th!!! Any advice/interview questions to be prepared for?

How soon after submitting your secondaries did you all get your interview?

Congrats Moose and Sedaniel!! Are you guys going to choose this school? I would love to be your classmates-- wish me luck on Oct 11th!!! Any advice/interview questions to be prepared for?

Thanks, man! I've already paid for my flights/hotels for my other interviews, so I figure I'm still shopping, but RVU is one of my top choices right now.

Good luck at your interview! I would say to just be yourself. I know this one sounds cliched, but it really was the most laid back relaxed interview possible. It's very conversational and they don't try to pimp you with crazy questions. They are just trying to make sure you are a good fit for their program and you should be trying to evaluate whether they are good fit for you. ;)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: seems like those days fretting over in the secondary application thread are loooong gone. congrats guys!

Thanks, bro! You're so right. I don't know if it felt surreal for you, but I am still having a difficult time registering that I'm finally in medical school and am ultimately going to be a doctor. It's a crazy feeling when you work so hard for so many years towards that goal and you finally realize it... Well, at least the completion of the first of many hurdles to come. Now we need to figure out how to pay for it!!! haha.

Yay!!!!!! CONGRATS to all of those getting acceptances!!!!:D

Since I haven't heard any bad news yet:xf:....I am guessing no SDNers got rejected or waitlisted (hopefully I won't be the first...lol)!!!! It even looks like some lurkers came out of the shadows to post their acceptance joys! Welcome!

Withdrew from Oct 7th inteview. Idk if someone can scoop it up, but good luck!

Hey any other fellow interviewees that will be at RVU on the 5th....Melkor, me and my husband will be meeting for sushi at Mikuni in Lone Tree, CO on Mon night (early evening) if anyone would like to join us!

If you would want to join...just PM me and I can give you more details.

:luck:Good Luck to all those interviewing this week!:luck:

EspIsMe... I totally scooped up your interview date. =D Moved from Dec 2. to Oct. 7!

Anyone know of any applicants that interviewed here but did not gain acceptance?

Anyone know of any applicants that interviewed here but did not gain acceptance?

From rough interview day numbers, about 70% get accepted, 29% get waitlisted, and about 1% get outright rejected.

If you get an interview here it seems like they are genuinely interested in you as a candidate for their school.

EspIsMe... I totally scooped up your interview date. =D Moved from Dec 2. to Oct. 7!

Hey TripodLuv, when did you get your initial invitation to interview in December? I am super interested in RVU but am worried that interview spots are already filling up through the end of the year!

Does anyone else interviewing know roughly how far out they are booked?

Thanks!

P.S. Good luck to all those who interviewed today! Congrats!

Last edited:
Hey TripodLuv, when did you get your initial invitation to interview in December? I am super interested in RVU but am worried that interview spots are already filling up through the end of the year!

Thanks!

I got an interview invite yesterday. The dates available were early December. The latest date choice they gave me was December 7th. You can also ask to be called if any earlier dates open up.

Good Luck!

Did anyone actually receive a "complete" notification via email or are you supposed to call about your status?

Thanks!

Hey barnold, I received a call on Sep. 13 to schedule an interview and was given a few available dates in early November. By the time I called the next morning, all those dates were filled, and I had to schedule for Dec. 2! You're right, I understand their interview spots are filling faster than ever this year...

Hey barnold, I received a call on Sep. 13 to schedule an interview and was given a few available dates in early November. By the time I called the next morning, all those dates were filled, and I had to schedule for Dec. 2! You're right, I understand their interview spots are filling faster than ever this year...

if i remember correctly though, I think they're only interviewing one week in November. So you're really not as far behind as you may think :)

if i remember correctly though, I think they're only interviewing one week in November. So you're really not as far behind as you may think :)

When I had called to schedule my Interview I was told that they where only interviewing 3 days in November, 8-10. Also I was told that the people invited to interview before the end of the year are the ones that get a majority of the seats in the class.

When I had called to schedule my Interview I was told that they where only interviewing 3 days in November, 8-10. Also I was told that the people invited to interview before the end of the year are the ones that get a majority of the seats in the class.

Don't scare me, Easy C!

I am Oct 11th too!! are you coming from in state? I am driving from Boulder! I am excited and very nervous! I love Colorado and would love to stay in state!!

See you Monday!

I am Oct 11th too!! are you coming from in state? I am driving from Boulder! I am excited and very nervous! I love Colorado and would love to stay in state!!

See you Monday!

Pamples! We interview at RVU and KCUMB on the same days! Whadd'ya know?!

Pamples! We interview at RVU and KCUMB on the same days! Whadd'ya know?!

Hey that's awesome!! Where are you coming from? Where are you staying for KCUMB? Where else are you interviewing?? (sorry for mass questions... I just got really excited that I have a buddy!)