RWJ vs Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ob_dc22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I appreciate any feedback/input on these two schools as I'm pretty torn between the two. I will not be factoring price into the decision as I am fortunate to have tuition covered. FWIW, Drexel is ~15K more per year.

Drexel -
Pros:
- I've lived in nyc for 5 years and really enjoy the thought of being in a city like Philly for another 4 years. I also have friends in the area and family close by in Jersey.
- Curriculum offers a lot of flexibility to study on my own time and not be on campus all the time
- More non-traditional students then RWJ
- really enjoyed the interviewed and everyone I've interacted with from admissions, faculty, and admins
Cons:
-2 year pre-clinical. I'm not sure what I want to do yet so I really want to maximize my time in clinical rotations to get more exposure to hopefully make the decision easier. Could possibly use the additional independent time to explore some options though?
-Lower ranked? Doesn't seem like it's by much and the match lists are pretty comparable.
- the lottery for the clinical years seems like it could be a total crapshoot.
- Couldn't find 2021 match list
- large class size

RWJ:
Pros:
- Closer to family but not too much closer than Drexel
- 1.5 year pre-clinical. As stated above, I really want to maximize my clinical time.
- Higher ranked - seems very marginal though with a slightly better match list
- Having the RWJ hospital very close seems very beneficial and easier to find mentors and ability to stay in the same area for 4 years
- smaller class size
Cons:
-Didn't get the best vibes from the interview. Spoke to one friend who's M3 and he's not a big fan of the school, but said it will get the job done. There was also an M4 going off on the school specific thread about the school which was confirming my friend's points and also my impression from the interview
- New curriculum
- I like Philly much better than New Brunswick
- Required time on campus seems like a lot more during pre-clinical
- the student body is younger than Drexel's

I like Drexel and Philly better. My biggest concern is the clinical rotations being spread out at Drexel and the lottery system involved. If anyone can speak to the 1.5 vs 2 year and also any additional information about the schools that would be a big help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would vote RWJ. My suspicion is that whatever may be wrong with the school, it will still be better than Drexel's clinical rotation lottery. Very few of their remaining partnerships are in Philly, so you may find yourself moving all over PA, which would be incredibly annoying.

Plus, RWJ has my big 3: family, price, and prestige (albeit marginal). I really believe those are the factors that matter most in medical school decisions. Things like "vibes" don't really go a long way - especially with only an online interview process.

On top of all that, a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum is almost an expectation nowadays. If Drexel has not adapted with the times, they should because starting rotations 6 months early will immensely help their undecided med students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would vote RWJ. My suspicion is that whatever may be wrong with the school, it will still be better than Drexel's clinical rotation lottery. Very few of their remaining partnerships are in Philly, so you may find yourself moving all over PA, which would be incredibly annoying.

Plus, RWJ has my big 3: family, price, and prestige (albeit marginal). I really believe those are the factors that matter most in medical school decisions. Things like "vibes" don't really go a long way - especially with only an online interview process.

On top of all that, a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum is almost an expectation nowadays. If Drexel has not adapted with the times, they should because starting rotations 6 months early will immensely help their undecided med students.
Can you explain more why a 1.5 preclinical curriculum is so important?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain more why a 1.5 preclinical curriculum is so important?
It allows you to have more time after the core clinical rotations are over for electives and research prior to submitting your residency application. Also pre-clinical is definitely less fun.

Overall, go with RWJ. It’s a bit better regarded, better/more stable hospital system (Hahnemann hospital at Drexel closed recently), New Brunswick is a cool city with great restaurants, adjacent Rutgers campus + nature, and convenient trains to NYC and Philly (about 45 mins each). The only benefit Drexel has is that it’s in Philly.

That being said, you can definitely come out successful from either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users