RWJ vs NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk498

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions about RWJ vs NJMS? Does anyone know what the residency matching is like for NJMS? Is one school "better" than the other in terms of residency matching?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen the residency match for NJMS for 2002, and I must say that it doesn't look as "powerful" as RWJ match list of the previous years.

Very few programs that stuck out--mostly Family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, ob/gyn, etc. Maybe two dermatology, ophthalmology, etc. Few in Surgery. Some in psychiatry.

Don't remember exactly, but the above is what I got.

I'd like to hear more opinions from you guys as well about these two schools.

There was an interesting article in the New York Times a few days ago about how the governor wants to restructure the medical school system of New Jersey to try to encourage more biotechnology development within the state - recently Merck and another top company built new plants in Boston instead of New Jersey particularly citing that they felt there was more research talent in Boston. The article focused quite a bit on NJMS and how many faculty there are worried about losing tenure positions to their counterparts in New Brunswick if the two schools do merge. It also discussed the difficulty that any school in Newark would have to attract great students. I wonder what a merge would mean for the medical students currently enrolled in the schools, but I don't know if such a merge or restructuring or whatever it will be will occur anytime soon.

As far as the difference between the two schools, I think RWJ has the better reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you guys get your information from? I've lived in NJ all my life, and I go to school here too. EVERYONE that I've spoken to recommends NJMS over RWJ. That's not to say that RWJ isn't a good school, because it's a great school. But NJMS has MUCH better clinical instruction, and good research, and I've always been told that their match list is better than RWJ's because of their better clinical reputation.

I know Newark doesn't exactly sound like a nice place to most people, and I think that's why NJMS gets its bad rap. I've been to both schools, and, while RWJ was in a nice area, it was too quiet for me. The only thing of note near there is Rutgers. NJMS, on the other hand, is in Newark which has really improved a lot in recent years. There are lots of great restaurants and performance halls, like the relatively new NJPAC. It also has really easy access into NYC. And, contrary to what you usually hear, NJMS isn't really in a very bad area of Newark, and the security on the campus is VERY good. I felt perfectly safe when I visited there. And I'd certainly feel safer in Newark than in Camden.

Although I favor NJMS, RWJ is a good school too. I don't think you can really go wrong with whichever one you choose, but if you can handle living in Newark for four years, I think NJMS is the better choice.

I work for UMDNJ. Give it some time and you probably won't have such a hard decision. As a previous poster mentioned, Rutgers will be merging with NJ med , RWJ and NJIT.
If you get an interview, make sure you read up on what's going on. It wouldn't suprise me if they asked what your opinion is. For the record, UMDNJ does not support the merger.

Originally posted by Curci
Where do you guys get your information from? I've lived in NJ all my life, and I go to school here too. EVERYONE that I've spoken to recommends NJMS over RWJ. That's not to say that RWJ isn't a good school, because it's a great school. But NJMS has MUCH better clinical instruction, and good research, and I've always been told that their match list is better than RWJ's because of their better clinical reputation.

wow. "EVERYONE?" geez. and i thought i was making the right decision. i got into both schools and was pretty set on picking RWJ over NJMS. firstly, my interviewer at NJMS was absolutely horrible. she was on the admissions committee but was soo arrogant it wasn't even funny. that totally turned me off. i'm surprised they even took me since i was like whatever about it. what i got from my interview experience at both schools was that NJMS students were always bashing RWJ students for some reason. on the other hand, the people at RWJ seemed more low key...saying only good things about NJMS. but that's just my experience of course. i was also under the impression that RWJ has a slightly better reputation in NJ.

the main reason i am picking RWJ is because i have a couple friends who go there that absolutely love it. one of my fraternity brother went to NJMS and didn't like it as much. from his own words, he said that the "quality of the RWJ student is probably a bit higher." once again, only a few people's experiences. i know this debate comes up every year, but does anyone have any further insight?? maybe i'll even change my mind again!

another question for everyone!

for the people who have gotten into both THIS year, which one are you guys going to choose?? just curious..i guess.

Hehehe... Sorry if I came on a little strong there, Snoopy, but I don't know why NJMS gets bashed so much on SDN. I have also gotten into both schools, and I've done a lot of talking to people about which one would be better. It seems like nearly everyone has recommended NJMS over RWJ. I also have friends in both schools, but it seems to me that the ones in NJMS get more hands-on experience and more early clinical exposure, especially since University Hospital is directly connected to the school. The clinical training is one of the biggest draws to the school, for me. I know RWJ is building a lot of new research space, so that is impressive, but research isn't as important to me as the clinical training. I also like the H/HP/P/F grading system of NJMS over the traditional letter grades of RWJ, even though, in the end, it's really not that big of a difference. However, I've also heard that NJMS has good ties to NYC and that many students go on to do their residency there. That's also important to me.

Ultimately though, a US med school is a US med school, and I don't think you can really make a wrong choice about where to go. My friends in both schools couldn't be happier about where they are going to school. I think it just boils down to where you'll be happier. I am interested to know what other people's views of the schools are, since I am trying to collect information about them too.

Is the merger really happening? The last I heard, it was still in the planning stages, and that it might or might not happen. I do know that former gov. Kean declined to be the president of the megaschool, but that's the last I heard about the issue.

oh yeah....i forgot to add that when i asked one of the deans at RWJ about this topic, they told me that for students that got accepted to both schools, 2 out of 3 pick RWJ. it definitely does boil down to where you think you'll be happiest. since i'm such a wishy washy person, i guess i'll do a bit more research before making a final decision.

I've gotten into both, but I'm really not sure which one I'll choose. I'm leaning toward RWJ: it just felt more right when I was there . . . though that may be because the admissions committee at RWJ did a much better job of selling the school. NJMS is the only school I've visited that didn't have any sort of presentation, luncheon, or student-hosting programs. There was really no way for me to get a sense of the school or the people other than the whirlwind tour (though getting to see the cadaver was really, really cool). I am interested in the MD/MPH program, and RWJ's is much better for what I want to do. But NJMS's great clinical training is really appealing. Ultimately, that's what I want most.
As for reputation, NJMS might have the better name in North Jersey. But up here in Boston, no one's heard of NJMS: they always, always ask me about Robert Wood Johnson. I think the name recognition has something to do with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, so maybe it's partly undeserved. But I do wonder why, when NJMS has the better reputation for clinical training and a student-run health clinic, RWJ is more widely recognized, for it's community service, and as a top-50 "primary care" school.

Another question for those who've gotten in RWJ: did you pick New Brunswick or Camden, and why? I need to decide by next week . . . I've heard it's possible to change later, but I want to be sure I've got a spot in the program I'm more likely to be happy in. My gut is saying Camden (I'm a S. Jersey girl), but I think the New Brunswick program has a better variety of sites. Any inside info that anyone has would be appreciated. :)

I'd have to agree strongly with those who favor RWJ over NJMS. I know this sounds awful, but at my med school, whenever someone gives a wrong answer or says something stupid on the wards, people always say, "That answer would be correct at New Jersey Med, but at every other school, the correct answer is...."

I know it sounds awful to joke around like that, but NJMS really is a punching bag for those people who know about it. Other people have never heard of NJMS; they know only RWJ.

Sorry to belittle the question posed by the original poster, but I just thought I'd let you know what people think about NJMS at my med school.

this is what a friend of mine wrote to me about the differneces between the programs.

"the new brunswick program is the more popular one, but it basically depends on what u r looking for...

the camden program is smaller (like 40 ppl, i think) and u stay in one hospital... the program directors are supposed to be really great, and cuz it's a small group, u get more personalized attention and what not... the area is not the greatest, from what ive heard, but that just means that u'll see alotta interesting cases and emergencies and whatever... and the last selling point might be that it's close to philadelphia...

the nb/piscataway one is larger and u rotate around a bunch of different hospitals in the area... so if u r particularly interested in peds, for example, u'll get a chance to spend some time at the children's hospital...

im sure talking to some 3rd/4th yrs will help a lot... and tour could be also a good way to get a feel for it... i didnt take a tour cuz i was pretty sure i wanted the nb program... but they both have their pluses and minuses...

just so u know, i heard that it's easier to switch from the nb program into the camden program than the other way around... but u CAN change your mind during the first two years, so it's not binding..."

Originally posted by almostMD
I'd have to agree strongly with those who favor RWJ over NJMS. I know this sounds awful, but at my med school, whenever someone gives a wrong answer or says something stupid on the wards, people always say, "That answer would be correct at New Jersey Med, but at every other school, the correct answer is...."

almostMD - please, tell us where you go to school that is so much better than NJMS...?

LL

for anyone who was accepted to both, how were your stats and ECs?

i too have heard more favorable things about RWJ over NJMS--their stats seem to be higher, 'better' reputation, location, etc-- and i've also noticed that NJMS' students always pitch the early clinical experience deal when comparing themselves to RWJ. For those who interviewed at either or both schools: were you asked which school (RWJ or NJMS) you preferred, and why? If so, how did you answer?

Originally posted by Perseverant 1
I work for UMDNJ. Give it some time and you probably won't have such a hard decision. As a previous poster mentioned, Rutgers will be merging with NJ med , RWJ and NJIT.
If you get an interview, make sure you read up on what's going on. It wouldn't suprise me if they asked what your opinion is. For the record, UMDNJ does not support the merger.

perseverant1, though it seems that neither Rutgers or UMDNJ (and prob NJIT) are happy about the merger for various reasons, what are UMDNJ's reasons for opposing it?

Originally posted by DoubleL
almostMD - please, tell us where you go to school that is so much better than NJMS...?

LL

Sure...and blow my cover here....fat chance. But rest assured, my med school is consistently in the upper ranks of US News.