RWJMS vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soc95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any insight or advice on this decision I would really appreciate it.

I'm an out of state for both schools but can become in state after one year, so tuition differences are really a major factor. Additionally, when looking at apartments it seems that cost of living while obviously higher in Brooklyn, aren't too significant between the two.

Academically/Professionally, I do hope to pursue a residency in Manhattan in one of the following fields: orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, radiology, or emergency medicine (sports med),

Rutgers Robert Wood Junior (RWJMS)
Pros
  • small class size, so more time for individualized attention
  • newer facilities (than downstate)
  • great match list
  • good global health program/opps - can do international rotations
  • possibly a stronger student community because you have an affiliated undergrad school w/ strong athletic program
  • non-academic facilities (like gyms etc.) available

Cons
  • while a great match list, fewer NYC schools than downstate
  • high cost of living for suburbia
  • all clinical rotations are in NJ hospitals (not necessarily a con, but could be seen as one since I want to pursue residency in Manhattan)

SUNY Downstate
Pros
  • Early clinical exposure, and a lot of it even in pre clerkship years
  • Great match list
  • diverse patient population
  • location - Brooklyn, so chance to do clinical rotations in NYC hospitals as well.
  • exams made to mimic USMLE

Cons
  • Facilities are quite old
  • I heard that a lot of the students pursue academia (but am not sure if this is true)
  • large class size
  • A/B groups for anatomy lab (so you don't do everything with your group)
  • random lottery for rotations, some could apparently even be in NJ
  • Just like not the greatest impression on interview day/second look. Things just seemed rundown and maybe too laid back
  • No real "student center", gym facilities, etc.

I'm really quite torn between the two - I like the idea of living in Brooklyn and being close to hospitals in Manhattan. However, I also know I'm the kind of person that appreciates newer facilities and things like gyms and having nice student spaces to congregate in etc. Their match lists are pretty comparable as well, or at least I didn't really find one to be significantly "better" than the other.

Members don't see this ad.

As I recall, you do not have access to the undergrad Rutgers gym as RWJMS. I remember someone asking that during the interview.

As I recall, you do not have access to the undergrad Rutgers gym as RWJMS. I remember someone asking that during the interview.
Yeah - sorry should have clarified what I meant. It’s not included, but med students can purchase the membership for approx $200/year plus there are private gyms around (La fitness, etc). But as far as I know, downstate only has a small weight room and the only private gyms in the area are boutique studios.

Last edited:
It looks like your reasons for not going to SUNY aren't very strong? Maybe see if you can make it to both second look days and see if you can get a better feel?