Rx manager vs night pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmhopefulNC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some feedback on my personal dilemma... I'm a new pharmacist, licensed in July and working the night shift 7 on 7 off since the day I was licensed. A few weeks ago for s^*ts and giggles I interviewed for an Rx manager position at the location very close to my house. I found out during the interview that there was a lot of turnover, many problems, etc., and was glad to NOT be offered the position. Really, I just interviewed because the store is so close to home and thought it would be a shame not to apply (currently working about 25 minutes from home, no big deal). Job was offered to someone with management experience, as would be expected. I was called by that district manager (another district than my current one), told I would not be offered the position, but not to feel defeated because I interviewed really well and they were quite impressed. As a side note, pharmacy was a career change for me - I'm in my early 40's. I'm in a good marriage, 3 kids at home that are teenagers.

Today I got a call from my district manager, offering me an Rx manager position at another store. I did some training there last summer as a grad intern, and it's run like a well oiled machine. I was told today there is little to no turnover. Current manager is leaving due to a move. Store is clean, everyone gets along from what I could tell - lots of laughing and joking among the techs when I was there. The 2 staff pharmacists seem to be in about their low to mid 50's and were very laid back.

As stated above, I currently work nights with every other week off. I love the 7 days off, but usually pick up 1-2 extra shifts. My base is 72 hours, and I try to get at least 80 hours in. The 7 nights working is a killer - I work and sleep. I pick up kids from school after about 4 hours of sleep, so usually have to go home and go back to bed. It's difficult to sleep during the day, and wake up off and on throughout the day. I fill and check about 125-150 scripts alone with no tech help (there is a robot), verify about 50, deal with impatient waiters that yell "hello! hello!" if I'm not standing at the register, drive-thru customers that like to beep their horn or bang on the drawer if not given immediate service, all until till about 3am while the phone also rings incessantly ("I like to call during the night because you're not busy"). I do the deletes, take out the trash, fill the bins and the robot, put away random inventory, and usually do multiple compounds. Basically I'm a glorified tech and janitor while doing a little bit of work as a pharmacist. Not a ton of job satisfaction - it's way too much work for one person. In total, the store fills 700-1000 rx/day (yes, per day). The only perk is the 7 days off (and lack of management walk-throughs).

Hour for hour, the new job would be 8% raise and chance for bonuses, plus the headache that comes with Rx manager. It's about 15 minutes longer commute. This store averages 400-425/day (7am-11pm). I have no experience in CII ordering, day to day metrics that don't currently fall on me at night, etc. I do have management experience in my old career, and have had direct reports, done yearly performance reviews etc. I'd lose my 7 days off (I have yet to take off 7 days), but would also get to sleep like a normal person every night - I'm not getting any younger. I'd have a base of 84 rather than 72 hours/pay period. I worked full-time throughout pharmacy school, including APPE's - the increase in hours doesn't bother me. I'd work every 3rd weekend.

From your experience, do you think the added stress of this position (plus a little extra money) could offset the stress of working nights? The job itself I think is learnable, but without first being a regular staff pharmacist, I think it's realistic that the first 90 days will be extremely rocky.

I'm leaning toward taking the plunge. I think it's a mental illness, but I can rarely say NO to a challenge or more money. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would never take a management position (money is less important to myself vs. the added stress); night shift is overall less stressful (mentally that is; quite the opposite physically). You might be a better match being in a staff or management position out of commitment to your family though. I would suggest having your PIC let you handle more of the management type tasks just for experience purposes in case you want to save yourself some "noobie" stress.

I say do it. The only way to broaden your perspective is experience. Granted, you may not make as much because you're not picking up the extra 1 to 2 shifts on your week off. However, if you can get by on the new base salary then go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain to yourself why you like the night pharmacist gig or why you are so drawn to the management job? If you can explain both to yourself and you still think about it, then take the plunge. My usual take though is to not throw away something good in search of something better unless you are sure that if it doesn't turn out to be better, you wouldn't feel bad about throwing the good past away. Pharmacists are usually risk-adverse, so it's more a personal reflection of what makes that risk worth it for you that draws you.

One other matter, will taking that job affect the magic that you have with your spouse or your children? We do have to work for a living, but there are jobs that imply that you don't care about your family. Risking that sort of magic for coin, that's a hard decision. You've already had them sacrifice in order for you to become licensed in the first place.

Reactions: 1 users
Ordering c2 is fairly easy. Surprised they don't make the night rph do narcotic inventory and do the c2 ordering. Remember to write the generic name on the 222 form or else they will send you brand name. Do not write percocet 5/325 instead write oxycodone/apap 5/325. Look at a previous 222 form to see a template.

There may not be a management walk through during the day but you can bet they are spying on you via camera and when they do a walk through during the day the staff is blaming you for why things are not perfect.

As a manager you have more control over the tech schedule so you won't be stuck working alone like overnights.

I went from overnights to management. It was a big mistake. But I didn't have kids, so your situation is different.

Psshhh... I would've taken night shift during my corporate days if my wife would've let me.

My feeling is, ANY pharmacist position is better than management. But now that you've interviewed for a management position, corporate will be very unhappy if you turn them down. Bear in mind though, once you become manager, there is no going back, corporate will never let you step down. But if you can't see yourself doing nights forever (and it sounds like you can't), then you might consider this position. But be prepared for "surprises", if this store really ran as good as you are being told it runs, some other manager would be jumping up to move into that store.

"A few weeks ago for s^*ts and giggles I interviewed for an Rx manager position at the location very close to my house."

They've only recently started interviewing people in my area for PIC positions. It used to be that your supervisor asked you if you wanted the position and that was it. With so many people only getting 30 hours a week or less the lure of 40 hours is enough to make becoming a PIC an attractive choice.

if you'r working for cvs, they'v been shutting down a lot of 24 hr store n changed to closing at 9pm or midnight. i believe they will continue the assault, and so the job security is no longer there. might as well become RXM.

"A few weeks ago for s^*ts and giggles I interviewed for an Rx manager position at the location very close to my house."

They've only recently started interviewing people in my area for PIC positions. It used to be that your supervisor asked you if you wanted the position and that was it. With so many people only getting 30 hours a week or less the lure of 40 hours is enough to make becoming a PIC an attractive choice.

That is why I accepted a pic position. Definitely more stress to deal with, but it was the only path to get guaranteed 40hrs with my company.

My mom was a night shift nurse. Basically my memories are of her sleeping on the couch and nodding off while doing stuff with us. Take the pic and spend time with your kids.

CVSh1t has to cut labor coz they lost pbm contract. Better keep shareholder happy.

My mom was a night shift nurse. Basically my memories are of her sleeping on the couch and nodding off while doing stuff with us. Take the pic and spend time with your kids.

It's definitely easier if you are single. I don't think I could handle nights if I had kids.

The first thing I would do is ask to see if they can schedule you there for a day so you can get a feel for the store and the tech team. Your gut will tell you what to do next.

Reactions: 1 users
When we are on the brink of death, we'll surely look fondly upon our days as worker bees rearranging deck chairs.

Edit: Engrish

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

For this, and for many other reasons I've considered (many outlined in this thread), I'm going to take it. The team is strong, so I think that if I'm going to make a move like this, this is the store to do it in. There will be additional mental stress, responsibility and overall hassle, but I think that will impact my home life less than my current situation. As Lord999 also noted, they have already sacrificed for me to become licensed in the first place - and it has been a huge sacrifice. Thank you so much for all of your input.

Reactions: 1 user