Rxprep for retail pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd20000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which chapters should I know well from rxprep book to prepare me for retail pharmacy? I don't have experience with verifying prescriptions with drug-drug interactions so I am concerned. Also, should I make a list of medications that are contraindicated or will the program be able to catch all those?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry, seriously. I was a slap ass when I was a new pharmacist. Just not a natural worrier. :rofl: The first DUR I evaled was lanoxin and lasix and I was like "oh oh oh oh oh. Potassium ... " and the tech who happened to have taken me under wing (beyond seasoned, more well done Semper Fi pharmacy tech) is like :uhno:"dude everyone on dig gets lasix. This computer flags everything you just pay attention to the level 1s." (side note: don't stick to the 1s rule it was part of my story, that is all) Back down to earth went I.

New pharmacists are prone to err on the side of caution and then reason starts to creep in. It's all good. Here is a couple of filters questions to use in combination with your knowledge when evaluating drug-drug interaction:
are the interacting meds prescribed by same doc?
are both drugs CURRENTLY active?
Has the patient been taking them together for some time?

NO, YES, NO and for now NO, YES, YES do an interaction check in database of choice, evaluate actual risk, prn call and document or warn and document. Often YES YES and YES is like the lanoxin and lasix thing. However I did land is super high vol store with a boat load of exceptions i.e. left and right elderly taking Zocor 80mg and gemfibrozil ...... same three docs, me-patient language barrier. What a mess.

I could go on and on. Yeah Pharmcisting is FUN!:banana: