S/F option in Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

Is it bad that I am taking the S/F (Satisfactory/Fail) option for Genetics? I know I will have an S.

I have already completed the intro level bio classes so I have my 1 year of bio that is required. However, only the second semester of intro bio had a lab. I am currently taking genetics lab.

Will this count as my second lab if I don't have a letter grade for genetics?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

why do you want to take it S/F? do you think you will get below a B? (that was my advisers advice.. take it pass/fail if you think oyu will get lower than a B/B+ depending on personal situation)

Hey,

Well you see, I had a B- in the course when I declared S/F. At this point, the only way to change it back to a letter grade is if I declare biology as my major or minor. Or I can wait until senior year to change it back. I was just wondering if it would look bad if I kept it as and S and how this would affect my lab (which is separate and will be a letter grade).

Also, genetics at my school is a really tough course. The teacher is in the medical committee and makes her class a "weed out" course. She told one of my friends (she is her advisor) that the medical school told her there were too many A's her first year of teaching and so now she makes it much harder to get.

Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wow.. heh.. well i think one S wouldn't be too bad. just do well in everything else :)

This topic has been discussed at length in other threads. The general consensus is that it is better to not take required courses with the P/F (or S/F) option. Just under 20% of our Genetics course students fail the class, and another 25-35% end up with grades in the C-D range. Of course, the other ~50% end up with A-B grades (this is pretty reasonable if not a bit generous if you ask me...). If you can bring that grade up to a B, I would suggest taking the letter grade option if possible.

so did I make a mistake by taking the S/F option? I just didn't want to risk the B-/C+ on top of my potential C in orgo...(final next week)

and anyone know if the lab still counts?

why dont you just keep this S but make sure sometime before you apply you take another Bio class and ace it?