Oct 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any current students or grads of Saba could share their opinions on the school? I couldn't see any recent posts on the matter.

How did you rate the teaching? Did you find the professors accessible? How was the access to cadavers? Do you know if the school uses technology and records and post lectures online? I personally love small class sizes and come from a very rural area, but did the size of the island allow for any opportunity to engage in clinical contact prior to year 3?

Really like the looks of this school, so wanted to get any honest opinions and feedback!

Many thanks

Jamie :)

Oct 16, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi Jamie, sorry for the late reply...just saw this. I am a recent Saba grad, so hopefully I can shed some light on your question.

Like most Carib schools, part of our schooling is done on the island (20 months/5 semesters) and our clinical rotations are all in the US. Our teachers are generally very thorough and experienced, with a mix of US phDs, foreign profs and retired US physicians. As in any school, there will be problems with teachers occasionally, but the majority of the classes are very well taught. The curriculum is almost spoon-fed to the students, with many more class hours than the typical US med school. This is helpful for students in the long run, because everything is explained thoroughly, but it mostly serves to protect the school and ensure students do well on their board exams. Students constantly failing their boards would be disaster for a school.

As for the professors' accessibility- all of the profs will do everything they can to help you succeed. If a student needs help, all you need to do is ask...I know one student who was struggling in a 3rd semester course and the course director offered to hold extra tutoring sessions a couple of times a week. This was a very comforting sight to see. Also, with the island as small as it is, you're bound to run into professors all over the place; grocery stores, bars, restaurants...so everyone becomes very familiar with each other. The anatomy lab is open 24 hours a day for students to have as much access to EVERY cadaver, not just their own, and during my first semester, there was a cadaver for every 12 students...which allowed for plenty of access.

I wouldn't say the school is incredibly technically savvy, with class lectures posted only on the student server (not world wide web) and the internet is shut down during teaching hours. The testing center is very helpful though, and the schedule of exams (though loathed because of its repetition) makes taking computer based tests very comfortable once it's time for your boards.

The clinical situation is a drawback on the island, though I am not sure how involved any Caribbean school is with their local hospitals. We don't really have any clinical exposure, so the school has implemented a course that weaves through all semesters to familiarize students with the tools necessary for their clinical rotations. By the time you get to your rotations, you should feel comfortable with seeing patients.

Hope this isn't too long winded and helps in your decision-making. Good luck.

tl;dr - Saba offers you a great chance at becoming a top notch physician. You'll have to jump through similar hoops at all foreign schools, but our school has a great track record of graduating excellent docs.