Saba University School of Medicine--Proceed With Caution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohnodoc

Reaction score
I am a current student at SUSOM--finished with their "basic sciences" portion of the curriculum. This post is a recollection of my experiences and opinions which I hope will guide you away from considering this place for your medical education.

Things the school will not tell you before matriculating into the basic sciences:
  1. You likely will not get your financial aid disbursement on time
    1. About 80% of the student body regularly receives their financial aid disbursement, meant to assist you in paying for the basics of life: food, housing, transportation, in the last couple of weeks of the semester. My colleagues and I regularly had to live off of credit cards or borrow money from family and friends just to survive because the school failed to disburse our money in a timely fashion.
    2. Should you attempt to ameliorate this concern, you will be unable to speak directly with school representativers directly because they will not answer their phones. Rather, they will vaguely reply to your emails until you become so frustrated that you give up trying to get your money, or continue to provide you with barebones answers or refer you to the 'financial aid guide' for further questions.
  2. You will be in class for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. This goes on almost without exception for the entirety of your 5 semesters down on the island. You will be told that you are in class 40 hours a week because the Dutch accrediting body, the NVAO requires it, but truthfully, you are in class because the Executive Dean made an error while filing paperwork with the body and didn't have the integrity to correct it. You will be exhausted, and you will wonder how other Caribbean schools' curricula function when classes are not mandatory, or are 1/2 of what SUSOM's are.
  3. You will not have access to the internet from 0750-1200/1300-1700 Monday-Friday. I'm serious. You cannot even attempt to fact check a professor's statement, or use internet-based platforms to enhance your learning experience during class hours because administration has it turned off. You will be told that there's "anecdotal evidence" that students performed better on their exams after they tried turning off the internet during class hours for a month one semester. But, that's all it is...anecdotal evidence.
  4. When all is said and done, based purely on statistics, you will not make it through the basic sciences portion of your medical school education with SUSOM in 5 semesters. My cohort began with nearly 90 students, and by the end of my 5th semester, we had fewer than 25 members of our original cohort still with our class. Most students left by the end of the first semester because they were never cut out for medical school, or because they followed different career paths. Many of our classmates failed a course and had to repeat the semester. When it comes down to it, though, the administration of the school cares only about your money. They are a bookie: if you want to bet that you can make it through medical school, SUSOM will take your bet, but they will do nothing to truly assist you in that endeavor, and, in some regards, will actively work against you trying to reach your goals of doctor-hood.
  5. You will be forced into hours of "clinical" education while on island, by professors who have never practiced modern medicine in North America. You will be told how important these classes are, but they exist to keep you in class longer so that the school can keep their good standing with the NVAO, and to give bored professors something to do.
Things no one wants to talk openly about because the cult of SUSOM administration has faculty and the student body scared to death of termination or removal from the school:
  1. You will have 1 (one) professor teaching you in the basic sciences with an American M.D. That means one person on that island who has written USMLE Step 1, which, let's be honest, the basic sciences are really just a very expensive Step 1 prep course. They will tell you that they have a dynamic curriculum that changes frequently to cater to the needs of the student, and to account for changes in content on Step 1: they are lying. For the last 5 years, through all of the faculty changes (and there have been many), any new professor that has arrived on island has been forced to reuse the same slides as their predecessor. Tell me, does that sound like a dynamic and evolving curriculum that serves the ever-changing world of medicine? Professors have even been punished/derided for trying to update the content of their slides to 1. reflect the truth and 2. updated information.
  2. You will have a Student Government Association, which is attended by one of the many faculty/administrative who is amazingly walking around upright despite not having a spine. You will have weekly SGA meetings to discuss recurring themes of: lack of consistency in policies regarding student conduct, lack of USMLE-style multiple choice exams, poorly-worded or completely incorrect answers on exams, not having internet for 40 hours a week, not being able to eat in class buildings, forced attendance. The list goes on. You will be told that your concerns are being passed on to Devens, Massachusetts, where SUSOM headquarters is located, but that is a lie. Your concerns will go into a little notebook, nary to see the light of day. You will be frustrated at your lack of power, but you will continue to try to make school and your life on that island despite the school's lack of compassion or action.
  3. You will be bullied by faculty into complying with the will of the on-island administration and the will of Devens, but that's not because most of the faculty are bad people, it's because they need jobs, and the SUSOM administration has them scared ****less that anything they do to step out of the line of conformity, including letting students do the same, will result in their immediate termination.
  4. You will have a few great professors, and they will likely not last the entire 5 semesters of your basic sciences. SUSOM administration has a knack for identifying professors who are actually talented at teaching, devoted to their students, and good at their jobs, and finding a way to fire them. It will be tough, and you, the student, will be the one left in a lurch trying to figure out how you are going to pass exams the day after your professors are terminated right before your very eyes.
  5. You will likely not be able to take USMLE Step 1 on time, despite your best efforts. After you finish your basic sciences, you must pass the NBME Comprehensive Basic Sciences Examination. If and when you pass this exam, you will have to complete all of your annual compliance documentation before you can even consider scheduling a date for Step 1. This means getting a urine drug screen, background check, numeric titers, a physical examination and clearance by a physician, and other documentation. Only when all of this has been gathered by the annual compliance department can you schedule Step 1, after going through the headache of ECFMG applications.
  6. You will take Step 1 and wonder why you haven't started clinical rotations. You will wonder this because SUSOM requires you to write an RLRA, a 20-30 page literature analysis paper. This type of paper doesn't exist in the world of academia. It's the school's own special form of paper with a non-sense number of flaming hoops to hop through, in hopes that an omniscient "paper committee" will approve your final draft. Perhaps, then, a couple weeks after you submit that draft, the school will approve your paper; however, you still won't be placed into rotations. You will have to fill out paperwork to figure out where you want to be placed, and will likely not be placed where you would like. And, if you do not complete Step 1, your RLRA, and all of the other steps to achieve clinical student status within the first 6 weeks of the following semester, the school will not even attempt to place you into a clinical site.
I have many other anecdotes to provide you with, should anyone have questions to pose. My advice, from my heart of hearts, and which I can only give in good conscience, is that you absolutely should not attend Saba University School of Medicine. It is a sinking ship. When comparing prices to other medical schools in the Caribbean, in my opinion, you get what you pay for.

Study Good

~ohnodoc~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I'm not going, but I know some people there.

How have you guys been holding up for the past year? I assume you guys are remote. Any COVID/lockdown related stories/warnings?

Unlike most other Caribbean schools, Saba made no mention of sending students/faculty home for their own safety until after the governments of the U.S., St. Maarten, and Saba had decided to cease all entry and exit from their respective countries. This means students were figuratively stranded on the island because SUSOM administration responded poorly/too late to the pandemic. We were allowed to be repatriated by the government of the islands and the US government at about 3x the cost of what it would normally take to get back to the U.S.

During this time period, the school rarely, if ever, sent updated communication to the student body regarding proceeding with their education. I was supposed to take my CBSE in April of 2020. Without any form of communication from the administration, we weren't allowed to write the CBSE, which one must take in order to sit for Step 1, until 4 months (an entire semester) later. We weren't allowed to write the exam because the school claims they had concerns about academic dishonesty, even though the AMA and NBME recommended remotely proctored examination since the early days of the pandemic.

Members don't see this ad :)
One warning about this school is that they make you go to class and you have to do attendance. It drives me nuts as i would rather learn independently and rewatch the lectures at a faster speed. A new policy is now you have to have your zoom camera on during lectures.

One warning about this school is that they make you go to class and you have to do attendance. It drives me nuts as i would rather learn independently and rewatch the lectures at a faster speed. A new policy is now you have to have your zoom camera on during lectures.
Is it true the schools waits to give reimbursement checks from FAFSA? How do you manage to live without living expenses?

Is it true the schools waits to give reimbursement checks from FAFSA? How do you manage to live without living expenses?

the financial aid check usually comes in like 2-3 weeks into the semester. i save enough from last semester's check to live off of

I was just accepted to Saba and plan to attend. As a current student how does Saba stack up against AUA, AUC and Ross?

I was just accepted to Saba and plan to attend. As a current student how does Saba stack up against AUA, AUC and Ross?
AUC,ROSS >> SABA, AUA

Reactions: 1 user
This is old thread but just finding. I'm just curious, if a student enrolls there are they able to transfer to Ross or any other school before taking step1? If so how would one find details

This is old thread but just finding. I'm just curious, if a student enrolls there are they able to transfer to Ross or any other school before taking step1? If so how would one find details
No to Ross. "Transfers" are required to restart at semester 1. They aren't currently taking any clinical year transfers either.

Avoid this school. They make you jump through so many hoops. I finished the basic sciences courses and passed the exit exam. Now the school is forcing us to do a review course in Kansas.

Avoid this school. They make you jump through so many hoops. I finished the basic sciences courses and passed the exit exam. Now the school is forcing us to do a review course in Kans week
Where in Kansas?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a current student (or former student) and are having issues with these carribbean medical schools that use US Government law TITLE IV for funding, CALL YOUR SENATORS and CONGRESSMAN RIGHT NOW. You have the right and power as an American Citizen to do something about this. Remember, some of these schools use TITLE IV (Government Funding and Tax Payers Money) to operate. If they are not being transparent with their policies, their privileges and eligibility for TITLE IV, as well as their medical residency privileges WILL BE TAKEN AWAY from them by the US Senate or Congress. You can do something about this. So, CALL YOUR SENATORS/CONGRESSMAN RIGHT NOW. If you don't know how to do this, feel free to send me a private message.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone whose school is owned by R3 education run into issues with being denied to sit for Step 2 despite passing CCSE?

Avoid this school. They make you jump through so many hoops. I finished the basic sciences courses and passed the exit exam. Now the school is forcing us to do a review course in Kansas.
I’ve heard rumors of this Kansas thing, but didn’t believe it. Best of luck to you. I am a current student Sem1, looking to drop before the drop date. This is madness.

I’ve heard rumors of this Kansas thing, but didn’t believe it. Best of luck to you. I am a current student Sem1, looking to drop before the drop date. This is madness.
What's the issue with a review course in Kansas? Is it just because you don't want to travel to Kansas?

What's the issue with a review course in Kansas? Is it just because you don't want to travel to Kansas?
No, the issue is, (someone please correct me if I’m wrong) if one has finished the basic sciences courses and passed the exit exam, they should be moving on to do their clinical rotations, not posting up in Kansas for a “review” course.

I see, but from what I understand, you need to pass the USMLE before proceeding to the Clinicals and a review is required. No?
UMHS for example sends you to Portland, Maine.

I’m not really sure on what the “normal process” is so I’ll shut up on this topic and stick to the things I know. I guess you should ask the OP, they’re the ones facing time in Kansas. Sorry.

If you are a current student (or former student) and are having issues with these carribbean medical schools that use US Government law TITLE IV for funding, CALL YOUR SENATORS and CONGRESSMAN RIGHT NOW. You have the right and power as an American Citizen to do something about this. Remember, some of these schools use TITLE IV (Government Funding and Tax Payers Money) to operate. If they are not being transparent with their policies, their privileges and eligibility for TITLE IV, as well as their medical residency privileges WILL BE TAKEN AWAY from them by the US Senate or Congress. You can do something about this. So, CALL YOUR SENATORS/CONGRESSMAN RIGHT NOW. If you don't know how to do this, feel free to send me a private message.
I signed up for Borrowers Defense against Saba even though they aren’t on the list. Very deceptive practices.

I am a current student at SUSOM--finished with their "basic sciences" portion of the curriculum. This post is a recollection of my experiences and opinions which I hope will guide you away from considering this place for your medical education.

Things the school will not tell you before matriculating into the basic sciences:
  1. You likely will not get your financial aid disbursement on time
    1. About 80% of the student body regularly receives their financial aid disbursement, meant to assist you in paying for the basics of life: food, housing, transportation, in the last couple of weeks of the semester. My colleagues and I regularly had to live off of credit cards or borrow money from family and friends just to survive because the school failed to disburse our money in a timely fashion.
    2. Should you attempt to ameliorate this concern, you will be unable to speak directly with school representativers directly because they will not answer their phones. Rather, they will vaguely reply to your emails until you become so frustrated that you give up trying to get your money, or continue to provide you with barebones answers or refer you to the 'financial aid guide' for further questions.
  2. You will be in class for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. This goes on almost without exception for the entirety of your 5 semesters down on the island. You will be told that you are in class 40 hours a week because the Dutch accrediting body, the NVAO requires it, but truthfully, you are in class because the Executive Dean made an error while filing paperwork with the body and didn't have the integrity to correct it. You will be exhausted, and you will wonder how other Caribbean schools' curricula function when classes are not mandatory, or are 1/2 of what SUSOM's are.
  3. You will not have access to the internet from 0750-1200/1300-1700 Monday-Friday. I'm serious. You cannot even attempt to fact check a professor's statement, or use internet-based platforms to enhance your learning experience during class hours because administration has it turned off. You will be told that there's "anecdotal evidence" that students performed better on their exams after they tried turning off the internet during class hours for a month one semester. But, that's all it is...anecdotal evidence.
  4. When all is said and done, based purely on statistics, you will not make it through the basic sciences portion of your medical school education with SUSOM in 5 semesters. My cohort began with nearly 90 students, and by the end of my 5th semester, we had fewer than 25 members of our original cohort still with our class. Most students left by the end of the first semester because they were never cut out for medical school, or because they followed different career paths. Many of our classmates failed a course and had to repeat the semester. When it comes down to it, though, the administration of the school cares only about your money. They are a bookie: if you want to bet that you can make it through medical school, SUSOM will take your bet, but they will do nothing to truly assist you in that endeavor, and, in some regards, will actively work against you trying to reach your goals of doctor-hood.
  5. You will be forced into hours of "clinical" education while on island, by professors who have never practiced modern medicine in North America. You will be told how important these classes are, but they exist to keep you in class longer so that the school can keep their good standing with the NVAO, and to give bored professors something to do.
Things no one wants to talk openly about because the cult of SUSOM administration has faculty and the student body scared to death of termination or removal from the school:
  1. You will have 1 (one) professor teaching you in the basic sciences with an American M.D. That means one person on that island who has written USMLE Step 1, which, let's be honest, the basic sciences are really just a very expensive Step 1 prep course. They will tell you that they have a dynamic curriculum that changes frequently to cater to the needs of the student, and to account for changes in content on Step 1: they are lying. For the last 5 years, through all of the faculty changes (and there have been many), any new professor that has arrived on island has been forced to reuse the same slides as their predecessor. Tell me, does that sound like a dynamic and evolving curriculum that serves the ever-changing world of medicine? Professors have even been punished/derided for trying to update the content of their slides to 1. reflect the truth and 2. updated information.
  2. You will have a Student Government Association, which is attended by one of the many faculty/administrative who is amazingly walking around upright despite not having a spine. You will have weekly SGA meetings to discuss recurring themes of: lack of consistency in policies regarding student conduct, lack of USMLE-style multiple choice exams, poorly-worded or completely incorrect answers on exams, not having internet for 40 hours a week, not being able to eat in class buildings, forced attendance. The list goes on. You will be told that your concerns are being passed on to Devens, Massachusetts, where SUSOM headquarters is located, but that is a lie. Your concerns will go into a little notebook, nary to see the light of day. You will be frustrated at your lack of power, but you will continue to try to make school and your life on that island despite the school's lack of compassion or action.
  3. You will be bullied by faculty into complying with the will of the on-island administration and the will of Devens, but that's not because most of the faculty are bad people, it's because they need jobs, and the SUSOM administration has them scared ****less that anything they do to step out of the line of conformity, including letting students do the same, will result in their immediate termination.
  4. You will have a few great professors, and they will likely not last the entire 5 semesters of your basic sciences. SUSOM administration has a knack for identifying professors who are actually talented at teaching, devoted to their students, and good at their jobs, and finding a way to fire them. It will be tough, and you, the student, will be the one left in a lurch trying to figure out how you are going to pass exams the day after your professors are terminated right before your very eyes.
  5. You will likely not be able to take USMLE Step 1 on time, despite your best efforts. After you finish your basic sciences, you must pass the NBME Comprehensive Basic Sciences Examination. If and when you pass this exam, you will have to complete all of your annual compliance documentation before you can even consider scheduling a date for Step 1. This means getting a urine drug screen, background check, numeric titers, a physical examination and clearance by a physician, and other documentation. Only when all of this has been gathered by the annual compliance department can you schedule Step 1, after going through the headache of ECFMG applications.
  6. You will take Step 1 and wonder why you haven't started clinical rotations. You will wonder this because SUSOM requires you to write an RLRA, a 20-30 page literature analysis paper. This type of paper doesn't exist in the world of academia. It's the school's own special form of paper with a non-sense number of flaming hoops to hop through, in hopes that an omniscient "paper committee" will approve your final draft. Perhaps, then, a couple weeks after you submit that draft, the school will approve your paper; however, you still won't be placed into rotations. You will have to fill out paperwork to figure out where you want to be placed, and will likely not be placed where you would like. And, if you do not complete Step 1, your RLRA, and all of the other steps to achieve clinical student status within the first 6 weeks of the following semester, the school will not even attempt to place you into a clinical site.
I have many other anecdotes to provide you with, should anyone have questions to pose. My advice, from my heart of hearts, and which I can only give in good conscience, is that you absolutely should not attend Saba University School of Medicine. It is a sinking ship. When comparing prices to other medical schools in the Caribbean, in my opinion, you get what you pay for.

Study Good

~ohnodoc~
I hate to tag on an old post, but as a previous student at Saba University School of Medicine (SUSOM), I dropped before the end of first block with W's, I can attest that all of the above is true under,"Things the school will not tell you before matriculating into the basic sciences",
as well as some of the
"Things no one wants to talk openly about because the cult of SUSOM administration has faculty and the student body scared to death of termination or removal from the school". I did not have experience with the USMLE Step 1 parts of the post, because I left before I got that far.

I fear my future plans to apply to any other medical schools may be negatively impacted by having matriculated there. There is no simple money back gauretee, if you leave by the first semester, as they advertise on the website. Read all of the small print!!
If I could turn back time, I wouldn't have set foot on that island. I don't know the number of students that started, but my cohort and each of the ones ahead of us had less than 10 students left (being generous with my estimation). They are not being straight forward with the attrition rates. I agree with OP, I do not recommend Saba Univeristy School of Medicine. I don't know about, or have any opinion about any other island school, I just wanted to warn people about this one.

Good luck all.

• Care
Is interesting because ~10 years ago SABA was thought to be one of the "better" carib schools, often discussed with St G and Ross. Was popular with Canadians.

Yes, I remember that SABA was considered one of the top 4 Caribbean schools. What happened, was the school sold?

Yes, I remember that SABA was considered one of the top 4 Caribbean schools. What happened, was the school sold?

I think a lot of new schools opened and Saba just couldn't keep up. AUA basically took its spot.

Is interesting because ~10 years ago SABA was thought to be one of the "better" carib schools, often discussed with St G and Ross. Was popular with Canadians.
Agree, and agree with it being popular with Canadians in the past. Certainly wouldn't want to go there now based on recent feedback from students. Island also doesn't offer a lot, and not one I'd want to be stuck on for two years, especially compared to St Maarten which is just a few miles away and has much to offer. Even though a lot of people focus on RUSM and SGU as top Caribbean schools, AUC on St Maarten has a solid reputation for student success and being smaller than Ross can have a different feel even though both are owned by Adtalem.

Agree, and agree with it being popular with Canadians in the past. Certainly wouldn't want to go there now based on recent feedback from students. Island also doesn't offer a lot, and not one I'd want to be stuck on for two years, especially compared to St Maarten which is just a few miles away and has much to offer. Even though a lot of people focus on RUSM and SGU as top Caribbean schools, AUC on St Maarten has a solid reputation for student success and being smaller than Ross can have a different feel even though both are owned by Adtalem.
The reality is that students continue to attend for the fact that the school has federal aid and is accredited; there isn't much more that students wish for these days. If its cheaper than the others, even more attractive to many.