Sackler 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello people! :)

I've got such a question: how old are the students when they start medical school in Isreal? and how old are they when they start residency?

quite a funny question, but I really like to know about it :)

Thanks beforehand! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello people! :)

I've got such a question: how old are the students when they start medical school in Isreal? and how old are they when they start residency?

quite a funny question, but I really like to know about it :)

Thanks beforehand! :)

This all depends. If an Israeli opts to do medical school before the army, then s/he will start right after high school 18 or 19. Residency depends on what the army wants but usually only finished after army service, which can mean only starting residency in their 30's. Otherwise it can be done after the army with no long term commitment.
The Sackler American program has all sorts of ages as I have gathered.
Hope that answers your question though.

Thank you kidon! really helpful answer. you know it for sure yes? :)

can you give me answers for fewer more questions :)

As I know medical school in Israel is 4 year long, right? after studying that 4 years, you get MD degree, yes? and residency length depends on what field of medicine you choose, correct?

Thank you once more !
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you kidon! really helpful answer. you know it for sure yes? :)

can you give me answers for fewer more questions :)

As I know medical school in Israel is 4 year long, right? after studying that 4 years, you get MD degree, yes? and residency length depends on what field of medicine you choose, correct?

Thank you once more !

the american program is as long as any other american program: 4 years

Oh yes, I know that, but I asked about standart Israeli mdical schools, not about American program. Thank you anyway :) So what's the answer? how long is the tution period in Israel medical school? same as American program?

Oh yes, I know that, but I asked about standart Israeli mdical schools, not about American program. Thank you anyway :) So what's the answer? how long is the tution period in Israel medical school? same as American program?

israeli program is 7 years. but i think theyve started a 4 year program. but you need to have a prior degree for that

and what kind of prior degree? do you know it?

Are there any applicants still waiting for a response from Admissions???

I asked this in BGU thread, but let me ask it in here too,
is it possible to transfer to Sackler from foreign medical school?

I asked this in BGU thread, but let me ask it in here too,
is it possible to transfer to Sackler from foreign medical school?

To my knowledge there have been transfers in the past. How about you call the admissions office in New York and ask them.

Last edited:
I am interested in applying to Sackler. Coincidentally, I'll be in Israel in October. When I'm in Tel Aviv is it possible to take a tour, even self-guided of the school?

I raelly don't know exact information, but I don't think that people are restricted to have a tour to see the school closer.
have a nice trip :)

I am interested in applying to Sackler. Coincidentally, I'll be in Israel in October. When I'm in Tel Aviv is it possible to take a tour, even self-guided of the school?

You can just tell security at the campus that you are interested and just wander around or you can contact the office in NYC or in Tel-Aviv and make a solid appointment to take a tour. You probably won't see much if you wander around yourself. On a final note, try contacting one of the student's to meet you and show you around...

In the clinical rotations forum there's a thread about foreign students having a very hard time setting up elective rotations in the US and that many institutions will not accept foreign students at all. With respect to Sackler, how are US electives handled? Also, when coming back to the states, are students doing electives or observerships?

In the clinical rotations forum there's a thread about foreign students having a very hard time setting up elective rotations in the US and that many institutions will not accept foreign students at all. With respect to Sackler, how are US electives handled? Also, when coming back to the states, are students doing electives or observerships?

In addition to this, I have a question for all current Sacklers....Did
you have the chance to go to a US Allopathic school and then turned it
down for Sackler? Does anyone regret this or conversely have some
words of encouragement?

In addition to this, I have a question for all current Sacklers....Did
you have the chance to go to a US Allopathic school and then turned it
down for Sackler? Does anyone regret this or conversely have some
words of encouragement?
I have the same questions as you kidon... The lack of a full Stafford (instead capped at $20,500) is really weighing on me now.

When we come to the US we are doing electives, not observerships. Not all hospitals allow IMGs to do electives, so you find the ones that do and do electives there. The school does in no way restrict where you go for your electives in the states so long as you are eligible.

We get Stafford for 20,500 and Federal Plus for the rest. I cant think about my debt now, its a sacrifice to do what I want to do.

There are people in every class who turn down US schools for one reason or another. It is up to you to decide, to weigh the options of what fields you may want to do, and where you will be most comfortable studying medicine. It is only 4 years, and it goes by ridiculously fast as most things do.