Sackler Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope280

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people think/know about Sackler?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember, it is located in Israel and is actively recruiting. If you make it through 3 years without getting blown up by a terrorist, and you are in the top of your class, you can do some rotations in NY...I forget which school though. On the bright side, the Division Chief of Pediatric Endocrinology at UCLA graduated from there and he's a big, hot-shot, famous doctor now. I'm sure you can make it back to the US if you work hard while you're there.

premed said:
From what I remember, it is located in Israel and is actively recruiting. If you make it through 3 years without getting blown up by a terrorist, and you are in the top of your class, you can do some rotations in NY...I forget which school though. On the bright side, the Division Chief of Pediatric Endocrinology at UCLA graduated from there and he's a big, hot-shot, famous doctor now. I'm sure you can make it back to the US if you work hard while you're there.

Funny, I think the same thing about NYC

If I can make it through 3 years without getting blown up by a terrorist...

I am living in Israel right now, and there are some excellent hospitals here.

Members don't see this ad :)
People shouldn't get the idea that sackler is the equivalent of an allpathic(or even DO school) in terms of residency reputation. There are some NY hospitals who may view it more favorably than other non-LCME schools, but for the most part this isn't true. You'll be an IMG forever.

I have to strongly disagree. My cousin graduated from Sackler, and did her pediatrics residency at UCLA. She absolutely loved the school, and enjoyed the opportunity to study at an American school while living in Israel.

Lilmspiano said:
I have to strongly disagree. My cousin graduated from Sackler, and did her pediatrics residency at UCLA. She absolutely loved the school, and enjoyed the opportunity to study at an American school while living in Israel.

And there are plenty of SGU grads who do primary residencies at good hosptials as well. Doesn't mean sackler or SGU is treated the same as the typical american school though.

southbelle said:
There are some NY hospitals who may view it more favorably than other non-LCME schools, but for the most part this isn't true. You'll be an IMG forever.

From what I have heard from IMGs, including one who is a professor at a med school in Dallas, your IMG status may be a minus when you are applying for competitive residencies, but once you have finished your residency it is no longer a factor. Especially if you continue on to complete a prestigious fellowship.

skypilot said:
From what I have heard from IMGs, including one who is a professor at a med school in Dallas, your IMG status may be a minus when you are applying for competitive residencies, but once you have finished your residency it is no longer a factor. Especially if you continue on to complete a prestigious fellowship.

True in many ways. But IMG status will be a minus when competing for desirous academic positions after fellowship. Everyone at that level is so qualified.

Besides, the fact that it is a minus when applying for residencies(and not just competitive ones in the sense of derm, ortho, radonc), that's going to affect your chance to get into that prestigious residency. And not getting into a prestigous residency will certainly be a minus for prestigious fellowships.

southbelle said:
People shouldn't get the idea that sackler is the equivalent of an allpathic(or even DO school) in terms of residency reputation. There are some NY hospitals who may view it more favorably than other non-LCME schools, but for the most part this isn't true. You'll be an IMG forever.

Technically, you're correct. But, in the universe of non-LCME accredited schools, the medical schools in Israel (Sackler, Technion, and Ben Gurion) are as good as any in the US, and head and shoulders above some of the schools people go to outside of the US.

Don't forget, a graduate from the finest medical schools in Britain or the EU (which are indeed fine schools) is still an IMG. All would have to go through the same IMG processes but to think that a graduate of (say) Sackler is the same as a graduate of (say) Kigezi is foolish.

And, if someone is worried about getting blown up, I'd recommend looking at Ben Gurion. It's in the Negev (think Tucson, Az), relatively far away from the troubles, and is linked with Columbia. It's a fine school with a strong international medicine focus. All the schools in Israel have (unfortunately) a strong disaster/EM focus, IIRC 2nd year med students get ACLS/ATLS certified before they're turned loose onto the wards (in the US you might get ATLS certified when you start an EP residency).

Valuemd.com has a forum dedicated to Israeli schools, the moderator goes to Ben Gurion (I think) but can provide some first hand info on the schools in Israel.

southbelle said:
I would tend to disagree with this.The match for Sackler is unusually strong even outside of NY and in CA as well.They get into places and specialties not typically seen for IMGs or caribbean schools.At the teaching hospitals in Manhattan I'v noted a strong representation of Sackler grads in key postions.More than DOs or other USIMGs.I would agree it still has IMG status but its about as close to a US school in reputation as you will get abroad.The med schools in Israel are very strong.Clearly there are other significant concerns relating to study in Israel at this time.

Lilmspiano said:

At this point she is considered a UCLA trained pediatrician and will have no problem landing any fellowship she wants. IMG status is no longer relevant.

I am currently a student at Sackler and I can say that a great number of students in our school secured acceptances to both US MD and DO schools but chose to come here for the unique experience of learning in an amazing country with so much culture in addition to gaining a medical education. There are people here with low to mid 30s on their MCAT with high grades and came from top undergrad institutions. Medical school is what you make of it guys and if you rock the boards and stand out during your clinical roations nothing will stop you. People will eventually be judged by the work they produce and not the degrees they sit on.

ColumbiaPsych said:
I am currently a student at Sackler and I can say that a great number of students in our school secured acceptances to both US MD and DO schools but chose to come here for the unique experience of learning in an amazing country with so much culture in addition to gaining a medical education. There are people here with low to mid 30s on their MCAT with high grades and came from top undergrad institutions. Medical school is what you make of it guys and if you rock the boards and stand out during your clinical roations nothing will stop you. People will eventually be judged by the work they produce and not the degrees they sit on.

true that harder workers get higher scores...but you get your education from the school you go to. Better education + hard work = higher board scores, not only hard work = board scores.

patzan said:
true that harder workers get higher scores...but you get your education from the school you go to. Better education + hard work = higher board scores, not only hard work = board scores.

Not a direct correlation, students from lesser schools are able to get high scores.

I'll take my chances at a good school.

patzan said:
I'll take my chances at a good school.

Planning on working hard?

A degree from the Worlds Greatest Hospital (tm) just gets you another seat at the boards.