Sackler School of Medicine in Tel-Aviv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siednarb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start some forum about Sackler - i just got into sackler, and i am wondering if anyone out there goes to Sackler or went to sackler, and what they know about the school being good/bad etc... I personally would relish the opportunity to study in Israel, but my parents are not so keen on the idea. I have gotten into two osteopathic medical schools, and am waiting to hear from one allopathic school that I interviewed at, but I still like the idea of being in Israel - if anyone has any advice - i am all ears.

Members don't see this ad.

Will you be able to learn Hebrew to an adequate level, as is the requirement last I checked, in order to do clinicals?

Semantic languages are not latin-based. Go to a bookstore and get a self-study course ASAP to give you a feel for whether you will be able to learn the Hebrew, especially amidst studying medicine.

Alternately, you may seek a deference of admissions and enter full-time language study for a period in Israel BEFORE enrolling in medicine. The web should lead you to several home-stay programs in Israel.

Learning medicine is one thing, and learning language is another. To try and learn them both concurrently is generally not wise.

Of course, this all assumes you do not have the language ability already.

actually - i speak hebrew pretty well - so that is not really a concern. Plus classes are taught in English to the 70 american students in the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Stephen was refering specifically to clinicals and not to classwork when he enquired about your ability to learn Hebrew.

If you are NOT going to get any clinical exposure during your first two years at Sackler, and thus you are not worried about the language problem, then you should stay here. I think clinical exposure during the first two years of school is a great asset and it will certainly give you an edge while on rotations.If you are going to get clinical exposure, then I would also assume that you must have a good knowledge of Hebrew, which you already said you do.

Have you been to Israel before? If yes, for how long? Where did you learn Hebrew? It is rather unusual for an American to speak good Hebrew, unless his parents are Israelis, so I am kind of curious (please, don't say in Hebrew school).

I don't have any specific info on Sackler, but I did spend 4 years as an undergrad at Hebrew U. and I will be happy to share any info on student life in Israel. Overall, education in Israel is excellent, and students are required to do a lot more work than here in the US. I cannot say if this would be also the case with the program at Sackler, since it is designed specifically for American students. Keep in mind that the programs aimed at American students at Hebrew U. fell closer to US standards and somewhat short of the same programs taught to Israelis.

Siednarb are there any african americans (or other minorities) in your class? Do you know if there are any there? Oh about clinicals ..is it possible to your clinicals in another country like the U.K or U.S.A. If not won't that make it more difficult when applying to red. programs that would like to see at least
4 monthes in American teaching hospitals?
I read from the sackler web site that the school has a affialation with a school in NEW
York..is it possible to do clinicals there?
Thanks!!!!

------------------
There is more joy in giving then there is in recieving.

I got into Sackler as well. And from what I've read and heard from a Pre-med advisor is that it should be considered an American overseas. I think going to Sackler would be a terrific experience in both education and culture. What an oppurtunity this could be for personal growth as a doctor and a person. I may see you at Sackler. I sent in my deposit today.

Yes, it is with patients and during clinicals or any in-hospital clinical correlates that the Hebrew is needed.