Sackler School of medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonstern

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about Sackler School of Medicine in Israel? Is it just as good as American MD schools and would anybody choose it over a lesser known MD school in the states? how is the residency matching from sackler?

Members don't see this ad.

GD> Go to Rutgers, the State University Medical School.

Then go to dept of Psychiatry. You will see the picture of a professor who went to Sackler.

Go means on the web HAh

Hi!

Actually I just applied to Sackler for this fall (2003). They are still accepting applications and I didn't feel like waiting another year to apply to med school. The late admission deadline was my main reason for applying there, but now I've gotten myself all psyched up about it! It really seems like a great program with heavy mentoring (pair you up with a doctor right when you start first year, and you keep this mentor throughout the 4 years), only 70 students in the program (compared to 200 in some med schools), not as competitive (avg mcat score is about 27), and it has a great relationship with NY med schools and it is relatively easy to get a NY residency. They have a 100% match rate, but of course you'll have a much easier time getting a competitive residency by going to a US medical school, but Sackler is rated the #1 foriegn medical school, especially if you want a NY residency. I love Israel, so I'm excited about the idea of spending 4 years there, but you really have to be willing to leave the US (family and friends) for 4 years. About 5 months of the 4 year is spent in the US doing clinical electives, so this also helps a lot in getting US residencies.
Basically, if you can get into an American medical school, go there, but if not Sackler is the next best option, and you might even become a better doctor because learning in a different country will make you a deeper more well-rounded person. Everyone that I've met that has gone or knows someone that has gone to sackler, loved it, has secured a top US residency spot, and has no regrets.

Daffy :>

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 friends that went to sackler, one graduated this year and the other (his brother) is finishing his residency. Sackler is a good program for anyone that wants to be in NY state. They have super strong relationship with NYU and Columbia and take their students for rotations / residencies without hesitation. Down side is: 3.5 years in Israel (vs. 2 for most carib schools) and you do < 6 months of rotations in the states. My friend who finished this year was living in an apartment in telaviv close to the beach and had 3 (!) suicide bombings within 1/2 mile of his apartment. Cost of living in Telaviv is pretty high as well but the nightlife is WAY better than anything you would see on any little island.

I am going to Sackler this fall. I am really excited about being there, I have heard many of the same things already posted in this thread and people who graduate from there end up with very good residencies in NY and in other states too. At my interview they gave me a match list for 2003 and there were quite a few California matches.

I also believe the political situation is improving, and I have talked to many people who have spent time in the area, as well as Sackler students/grads who said that safety wasn't too much of an issue. On the flipside, I also heard that some (not sure how many) students did withdraw this year because of security issues resulting from the Iraqi war.

I think Sackler is a great option, probably it would be even better if the situation would improve politically over there. Keep in mind its one of the best foreign medical schools for US STUDENTS, it isn't the number 1 foreign medical school period. Schools in the UK, Germany, France, Belgium, etc. all have long standing traditions in medicine with rigorous academic standards - its just that US students for the most part can't go to these schools.

For those that are interested in Israel - you may also want to check out Ben Gurion University which is run in conjunction with Columbia in NYC. Great program, and its in a town in Israel with hardly any security problems. Granted it doesn't offer the nightlife that Tel Aviv does - but you have a better chance of not getting blown up.

Both programs - Sackler and BGU/Columbia - are good programs. I'm in the BGU school and have no regrets, especially as I see where our graduates are matching in the US.

Anyone who dropped out over Iraq is probably regretting the decision now (none did from our program). Yes, we all had to carry gas masks around, which was a little scary and pretty annoying. But if anything, the war was helpful to the stability of the region - if that makes any sense. This isn't a statement about war, but just to say that things really seem to be moving toward stability these days.

Israel is awesome, I'll be sad to leave it.

Oh, and the director of admissions for our program is also a pediatric pulmonologist at Columbia-Presbyterian - she's a Sackler grad.