Sackler vs. SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wire

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
wire said:
So, here is my situation. I'm an American and currently applying to medical school. I have received a few U.S. allopathic school interviews, however I am also applying to the Sackler New York State Program in Israel and St. George University. If I were to get into both these schools, I would have no idea where to go. Yes, both are foreign, but which school is easier to get a competitive residency? I know there is a stigma towards the schools in the carribbean, but I'm sure that's towards any FMG. Anyone have any personal experience? The one advantage to St. George is that you spend only 2 years on the island and the last 2 in the U.S. and obviously an advantage to Sackler is that you wouldn't be living in a third world country (you only spend 16 weeks in the U.S. doing clinical electives). Enough rambling, what does everyone think?

IMO, two years of US clinical experience (if one applies oneself properly) trumps Sackler's reputation.

Its a tough choice in view of the SGUs US clinicals.However from what I'v heard the quality of the education at Sackler is high,clinical supervision of med students is from professors and not residents,many of whom are highly regarded in their fields.The quality of Sacklers residency matching is close to a US med school,with its grads getting into competitive programs not typical for IMGs.I'v seen its grads in key positions at prestigious NYC area hospitals.If you feel comfortable living in Israel then I would seriously consider it,if not then SGU is a fine place to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my interview with Sackler and am now seriously considering going to Israel, if I am accepted. The Alum I interview with now instructs medical school students. She is also a general surgeon in Ob/Gyn and has done work in fertility research. In any case, she says that she has seen her share of medical school students through the years and she thinks Sackler is an excellent preparation and compares with the best US schools. She also said that she had no difficulties obtaining residencies in surgery.

Question: Any one that has studied at Sackler or BGU, would you recommend taking the Hebrew classes they offer? I heard that it is almost impossible to find time to take them and study for your med classes. What do you think?

if you graduate from either one, you will be an fmg. there still exists bias against these graduates in more competive fields. you will face this boas when you apply to residency/fellowship. if you have the academic credentials for a US md school then that is your best bet.

i cannot speak for the quality of the educations... perhaps they are equivalent. but you will have to be a better applicant/resident in order to "prove" yourself. unfair perhaps, but it is a reality.

stick to a US school.

EBKame said:
Just had my interview with Sackler and am now seriously considering going to Israel, if I am accepted. The Alum I interview with now instructs medical school students. She is also a general surgeon in Ob/Gyn and has done work in fertility research. In any case, she says that she has seen her share of medical school students through the years and she thinks Sackler is an excellent preparation and compares with the best US schools. She also said that she had no difficulties obtaining residencies in surgery.

Hi EBKame,

I am also interested in applying to Sackler and BGU. Do you know how many students Sackler accepts and if they have any GPA or MCAT minimums? I tried checking their website, but there was no info.

What was your interview like? Where did they interview you?

Thanks

I know there is a thread on Sackler with average GPA and MCAT scores for last year I think. Do a search, and filter through the threads.

You will have no problem at all getting into competitive residencies in NYC area. Tons of Sackler grads. Probably gets tougher in other parts of the country.

I would personally go to Sackler - it's significantly cheaper too (I think).

I can't really remember what the average scores were. My interview was in Chicago with an Alum who now teaches at UChicago and is a general surgeon in Ob/Gyn. The interview was very laid back and more of an personal exchange than an interrogation, but I imagine this would vary depending on which alum is conducting the interview. My interview was end of January and I think notifications start in March.

ny skindoc said:
Its a tough choice in view of the SGUs US clinicals. However from what I'v heard the quality of the education at Sackler is high,clinical supervision of med students is from professors and not residents,many of whom are highly regarded in their fields.

I'm not trying to put down Sackler or any other school for that matter, however I don't think that clinical supervision of medical students by professors is a big deal. In my view, it might even be disadvantageos.

Most students at English language programs in Hungary are supervised by academicians, nearly all of whom rank associate/assistant professor level. It is a rarity to have a "simple" clinical doctor supervise the students. Often the clinical supervisor is a full professor, who is a reknown expert in their particular field, recognized abroad, etc...

I, personally, however prefer a second or third year American resident over most professors.

Why?

Unless, one is interested in the professor's particular subspecialty or research (there are great advantages if this is the case!), the information presented is often not appropriate to the level of the medical student. A second or third year resident on the other hand, knows what is clinically important to the medical student and is usually not interested in "converting" them to their choosen specialty/subspecialty.