SGU (Caribbean) vs Sackler (Israel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lebrun

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have been accepted to St. George's University and Tel Aviv University's Sackler SOM. I am having a hard time deciding between the two schools, and I was seeking other's input. Here are what I personally find to be the pro's and con's of each school:

SGU:
Pros:
- More name recognition
- Two full years of clinical rotations in USA

Cons:
- Very expensive compared to American MD schools (Nearly double the price of some Public American MD Schools)
- Cull approximately 1/3 their class each year

Sackler:
Pros:
- Smaller class size (about 150 versus 1,000 at SGU); focused on getting everyone through (lower attrition rate)
- Location (I personally would prefer to live in Israel vs the Caribbean... obviously not everyone will agree with me)
- Comparable cost to private American MD schools

Cons:
- Only 1 year of American clinical rotations
- Does not have the name recognition as SGU

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Sackler has historically had very high match rates with their students into the US. If you don't have any personal issues against living in Israel; it would definitely be the superior choice. I personally wouldn't support the country or feel comfortable living their due to my background but everyone is different.

Also look through older posts on here to see SGU's accreditation dilemma.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure how this is even a debate. There are so many advantages of choosing Sackler. The cost is significantly cheaper. Don't underestimate how much loans can affect your lifestyle for years. The university (TAU) as a whole is simply superb. You'll rotate in some of Israel's finest hospitals. Israel is known for it's high quality of research and clinical care. Less importantly but still a big plus, I personally feel that the cultural experience and the opportunity to live in such a unique part of the world is an incredible experience.

Some people wonder about the volatile situation in Israel, but I have yet to see a class ever have to postpone graduation due to the hostilities in the region. Plus, due to the recent round of hostilities, this tends to mean that there will be calm for many more years, until the next round.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with JCaesar - easy choice given the cost and attrition rate alone, but especially given your preference for being in Israel!

Best of luck to you!

Isn’t sackler considered to be a NY school for residency purposes? That alone would make me choose sackler. NY is IMG haven

Also, any reason you’re not taking the DO route? Since you got into Sackler, I’m assuming your stats aren’t bad

Isn’t sackler considered to be a NY school for residency purposes?
No, Sackler grads are IMG's in the US as the school is not accredited by the LCME.
Sackler has been chartered by New York State to issue degrees which makes them eligible for state aid.

Reactions: 1 users
Avoid SGU. You won't regret it.

any reason for this other than the accreditation issue they're having?
That should be the only reason you need. It isn't that they just decided to get another accreditation; they were being put on probation by CAAM-HP when they voluntarily withdrew from the program, meaning that there were obvious issues going on that would lead to this.

Students I've spoken with (pre-COVID) said that the on-campus dorms were very old and there weren't enough for all students. Overcrowded lecture halls with not enough space for everyone. Good faculty leaving and being replaced with subpar instructors. Along with decline in the quality of clinical rotations.

That should be the only reason you need. It isn't that they just decided to get another accreditation; they were being put on probation by CAAM-HP when they voluntarily withdrew from the program, meaning that there were obvious issues going on that would lead to this.

Students I've spoken with (pre-COVID) said that the on-campus dorms were very old and there weren't enough for all students. Overcrowded lecture halls with not enough space for everyone. Good faculty leaving and being replaced with subpar instructors. Along with decline in the quality of clinical rotations.
That's just part of it. Yeah most of the instructors are awful, BUT they barely speak English too!. The cadaver lab is gruesome; decaying, old body parts just flying around. The hospital you visit in term 5 on the island doesn't even have air conditioning. The weather on the island is super ****ty and these are just a few of the reasons why any other place than the Caribbean is better to learn medicine. Especially in the economy right now, you're better off just learning new skills, and focusing on getting an MD in the States, especially if SGU fails within the next few years. You would just be ****ed if you tried to start now and they lose their accreditation, and don't think you'd be getting your money back.