Sad, worried, and don't know how to move forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquigglyQ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently let go from my scribing job due to efficiency. The job was not for me, but I thought I was the only one who realized it. I am concerned about how to spend my gap year now, What do to for money, and generally how to stay fresh with the medical terminology, fast paced lifestyle, and clinical experience. I have completed 15/22 secondaries. What I am to do? Call each school to update them?
Hope it doesn't come up during possible interviews?
For the secondaries I haven't completed, how can I explain that I don't have many plans for this coming year?

I just feel very lost. After 5 months of full time work, once I complete the last few secondaries, i know that I'll start to feel incredibly unproductive.

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT send an update to schools telling them that you lost your scribing job. Don't talk about it on secondaries either.

You have some time to find a new job, volunteer activity, clinical experience, etc. before your first interview. Find something to do that will give you a good answer to that question "how are you spending your gap year?" if it is asked.

Find something to do, and don't fret too much. This is just a small bump in the road.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who has scribed for four years...it's not a big deal. I've seen so many bright students come in and out of scribing. Sometimes it's just not for you and it's honestly not a big deal. You probably have some qualities that I don't have, and I just happen to do well in those types of fast-paced environment.
Find something else to do--you don't have to work in a medical setting, maybe find a different passion of yours you'd like to pursue

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently let go from my scribing job due to efficiency. The job was not for me, but I thought I was the only one who realized it. I am concerned about how to spend my gap year now, What do to for money, and generally how to stay fresh with the medical terminology, fast paced lifestyle, and clinical experience. I have completed 15/22 secondaries. What I am to do? Call each school to update them?
Hope it doesn't come up during possible interviews?
For the secondaries I haven't completed, how can I explain that I don't have many plans for this coming year?

I just feel very lost. After 5 months of full time work, once I complete the last few secondaries, i know that I'll start to feel incredibly unproductive.
Depending on where you're located, you might be able to secure a volunteer position that would support the areas of concern you raised. Doing so would allow you to seek income possibilities free from the stress of medically-related positions. Try not to worry too much; you will likely be just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry you lost your job.

No need to update them. No one is asking for it so why give it? Schools need to fight off updates with a stick as it is. Focus on what you learned while you were working, and how it shaped your desire to go into medicine. You don't need to have loved being a scribe and no one wants to be a scribe forever.

Look for something short term once your secondaries are out. Don't stress now. Worst case is you line up some volunteering to show productivity in case you need to reapply.

Thank you for the advice.

One point I need clarification on, for secondaries that I still have to do: how do I answer "plans for this coming year" without lying?

At what point should tell them? Once I find a new activity, ifI get an interview, during the interview? Never?

My reference for this job is a manager, so if contacted she would say that I've been let go due to a performance that hadn't improved with time.

Are there any physicians you worked closely with at the job who might vouch for you better? I don't believe references need to be direct supervisors.

That is a tricky question and I'm sure an adcom might have a better answer. I have no idea how tricky scribe jobs are to get, but if you plan to get another you can say you plan to continue scribing, and simply not specify where? It sounds like you'd rather not, but its just for a year if you have the training.

This is the second time on this forum I've heard of scribes being let go. I am guessing this is for speed or accuracy? Is this typical of scribes, or a Scribe for America especially rigorous?

I am sure you will find something. Do post Bacc classes. Get a job doing something else with your college degree. Maybe take a class so you can be a patient care tech, phlebotomist, or Nurses' Aide (or some other clinical job with a fast certification). Don't tell people you got fired (they may doubt you can be efficient as a doctor) but BE HONEST IF THEY ASK.

Talk about what you learned from being fired, how you overcame having a job that wasn't for you, and why these concerns won't be a problem in the future if for some reason, someone does ask!

Thank you for the advice.

One point I need clarification on, for secondaries that I still have to do: how do I answer "plans for this coming year" without lying?

At what point should tell them? Once I find a new activity, ifI get an interview, during the interview? Never?

My reference for this job is a manager, so if contacted she would say that I've been let go due to a performance that hadn't improved with time.

Yea not to sound like a broken record but you don't need to update the schools that you lost your job here.

Scribing has a really high rate of people washing out. Med school probably encounter tons of people in your situation each year.

If I were you, I would find a volunteer opportunity, like on Tuesday that you start ASAP. Put this down for now. In the meantime, you can find employment elsewhere. Patient Care Assistant jobs don't require prior training usually. And frankly what you do doesnt have to be in healthcare. I've seen a lot of successful applicants on here who said they were waiters or worked in retail during a gap year.

Good luck op. This is a kick in the pants but thats all it is!

Reactions: 1 user
I am sure you will find something. Do post Bacc classes. Get a job doing something else with your college degree. Maybe take a class so you can be a patient care tech, phlebotomist, or Nurses' Aide (or some other clinical job with a fast certification). Don't tell people you got fired (they may doubt you can be efficient as a doctor) but BE HONEST IF THEY ASK.

Talk about what you learned from being fired, how you overcame having a job that wasn't for you, and why these concerns won't be a problem in the future if for some reason, someone does ask!

How honest? I was let go because I was unable to improve at the rate they expected? More or less detail than this?