"Safe" past Challenges for Supplementals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catnapper

UTK c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at my wit's end--I can't come up with any so-called challenges that almost every supplemental questionaire asks you to elaborate on...my challenges have all revolved around overcoming physical disabilities, which I don't really want to emphasize, as that may put some schools off. Another challenge that I wrote about (but that was shot down) was improving my math skills. So the question is, what are acceptable challenges to discuss on apps?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at my wit's end--I can't come up with any so-called challenges that almost every supplemental questionaire asks you to elaborate on...my challenges have all revolved around overcoming physical disabilities, which I don't really want to emphasize, as that may put some schools off. Another challenge that I wrote about (but that was shot down) was improving my math skills. So the question is, what are acceptable challenges to discuss on apps?:scared:

If I were answering this type of question, I would choose the same types of challenges I would talk about during interviews. Challenges that a) you have overcome, and b) show a good trait or the overcoming of a bad trait. Remember, you want to show these people that you are the applicant they want. If improving your math skills was something you feel that they should know about, by all means, use it. It shows that you are willing to work on your weaknesses.

I don't know exactly what the questions are on the supplementals you are doing, but what about talking about a difficult co-worker or boss? Or a difficult peer on a group project?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually did talk about my physical problems on my difficulties section because I had to take time off school for it. But I was sure to emphasize that these problems had passed and what I had done in the interim to rectify the situation. But I pretty much had to talk about it at all my interviews. I still got in to three schools, though.

You can also talk about characteristic challenges (i.e. shy person and things that you've done to improve you ability to communicate with others)

Thanks for all the feedback, ideas, etc.!! I've been working on these all day and feel a little less stressed, now. :idea:

I personally struggled with the idea of using a tough interpersonal situation (troublesome boss/coworker). I decided against it, because I couldn't figure out a way to frame it that made me sound my best; I kept on feeling like I came across as bitchy, complaining, whining, gossiping, etc. If you can do it right, then go for it.