Safety of AOA pre-accredited programs ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jekyll75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve searched for this answer but I haven’t quite gotten it answered . So for the class of 2019 , there will be an AOA match, of those who are in pre-accreditation how safe is it to match there ? The reason I ask this is because from what I read , the AOA said they will accredit the program till the last resident graduates, but the acgme hasn’t commented on that statement at all . So say someone matches into AOA pre accredited gen surg in the 2019 match. 2020 comes around but they don’t get acgme accreditation , is the resident SOL or are they still safe

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I’ve searched for this answer but I haven’t quite gotten it answered . So for the class of 2019 , there will be an AOA match, of those who are in pre-accreditation how safe is it to match there ? The reason I ask this is because from what I read , the AOA said they will accredit the program till the last resident graduates, but the acgme hasn’t commented on that statement at all . So say someone matches into AOA pre accredited gen surg in the 2019 match. 2020 comes around but they don’t get acgme accreditation , is the resident SOL or are they still safe

They're still safe, because then you'll be board eligible from AOA not ACGME. If you match at an AOA program, you will be board eligible. Now, whether you can go on to do a fellowship? Who knows.

They're still safe, because then you'll be board eligible from AOA not ACGME. If you match at an AOA program, you will be board eligible. Now, whether you can go on to do a fellowship? Who knows.

Okay , I just don’t see anything that the acgme okayed this continued accreditation . That’s why I’m asking. There barely any useful info on this merger

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay , I just don’t see anything that the acgme okayed this continued accreditation . That’s why I’m asking. There barely any useful info on this merger

They don't have to, thats why you might not be able to do a fellowship. You will be boarded through AOA with all the joy that comes with it (extra fees membership etc), and able to practice everywhere and bill. But if you want to apply to an ACGME fellowship you might not be eligible anymore.

They don't have to, thats why you might not be able to do a fellowship. You will be boarded through AOA with all the joy that comes with it (extra fees membership etc), and able to practice everywhere and bill. But if you want to apply to an ACGME fellowship you might not be eligible anymore.
hmm okay that makes sense . even if you take step 2 and 3 youd still be in the crapper ?

A ton of incorrect stuff on this thread.

Any surgery program taking residents in 2019 will [most probably] be on track for ACGME accreditation.
Any AOA program that is 4 years or longer (i.e.: surgery, EM, Anesthesiology, etc.) is not allowed to participate in the 2018 match unless they have at least applied for ACGME accreditation. So the assumption is that by 2019, most 4 year+ programs will be at least in pre/initial accreditation and, by 2020, most 3 year programs (family med, IM, IM fellowships, peds, etc.) will be at least in pre/initial accreditation.

For example, the AOA gen-surg program at Arrowhead Regional decided it didn't want to apply for ACGME accreditation* and, thus, they will not be participating in the 2018 match. The AOA program will graduate its last batch of residents in 2021.

Hope this helps

(*The hospital decided that, because UCLA already runs a general surgery program at Arrowhead Regional anyway, it made no sense for there to be 2 ACGME programs in the same specialty in the same hospital).

Last edited:
A ton of incorrect stuff on this thread.

Any surgery program taking residents in 2019 will [most probably] be on track for ACGME accreditation.
Any AOA program that is 4 years or longer (i.e.: surgery, EM, Anesthesiology, etc.) is not allowed to participate in the 2018 match unless they have at least applied for ACGME accreditation. So the assumption is that by 2019, most 4 year+ programs will be at least in pre/initial accreditation and, by 2020, most 3 year programs (family med, IM, IM fellowships, peds, etc.) will be at least in pre/initial accreditation.

For example, the AOA gen-surg program at Arrowhead Regional decided it didn't want to apply for ACGME accreditation* and, thus, they will not be participating in the 2018 match. The AOA program will graduate its last batch of residents in 2021.

Hope this helps

(*The hospital decided that, because UCLA already runs a general surgery program at Arrowhead Regional anyway, it made no sense for there to be 2 ACGME programs in the same specialty in the same hospital).
that makes sense im just afraid to gamble on a pre accredited ENT programs you know cuz they all give the generic " we are resubmitting our application" but yall but my mind at ease. Maybe i will just go for them. My Comlex is competitive but step is avg which is why im asking

that makes sense im just afraid to gamble on a pre accredited ENT programs you know cuz they all give the generic " we are resubmitting our application" but yall but my mind at ease. Maybe i will just go for them. My Comlex is competitive but step is avg which is why im asking

Well, by 2018/2019, a 4 year+ program can't say "We are on track to submit our ACGME application bla bla bla." Family med, IM programs can say that because they technically have until 2019/2020 to get their ducks in a row. The ACGME purposefully required longer programs to apply for accreditation earlier for a variety of reasons. If a program in pre/initial accreditation doesn't meet standards, they don't get dumped on the street, they get put on probation. Getting to the pre/initial accreditation stage is important, which should be very obvious by 2019.

Well, by 2018/2019, a 4 year+ program can't say "We are on track to submit our ACGME application bla bla bla." Family med, IM programs can say that because they technically have until 2019/2020 to get their ducks in a row. The ACGME purposefully required longer programs to apply for accreditation earlier for a variety of reasons. If a program in pre/initial accreditation doesn't meet standards, they don't get dumped on the street, they get put on probation. Getting to the pre/initial accreditation stage is important, which should be very obvious by 2019.
alright thanks for the info, its hard to get any straight info anymore. Most of the DO ENT programs are in pre-Accreditation status so its a crap shoot. Most wont find out until February if they are granted initial