Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Safety schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by stdent9972, Mar 18, 2004.

1. stdent9972

stdent9972 Member
    10+ Year Member

Given how competitive it is these days, what schools are easier or more difficlut to gain acceptance? I've heard 1000 applicants for 35 spaces at some schools. Despite your numbers/ record, it must be an uphill battle. Which schools are safety schools?

2. NotShorty

NotShorty ~Mr. Bright Side~
    7+ Year Member

I can echo what I've heard others say based on my own experience: You won't get in to your "safety" schools, but you will get in to the "reach" schools where you don't think you have a chance.

I was ONLY accepted to my #1 choice.

It's like they can smell your interest, or lack thereof.

-NS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

It's kind of rude to post everyone's saftey schools. Some of my "safety schools" might be other students' first or only choice, or vice versa. Generally it's harder to get into established state schools, especially if you're not a resident of that state. Private schools can be easier (most likely because they are so expensive and don't have in-state quotas). Expect 1000+ applications at just about any school for next year though. I would apply to *several* schools, and not just what you've heard are "easy" schools.

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lacarthic

lacarthic Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't even think there is such a thing as a safety school for pharmacy anymore. I think most people myself included are happy getting in anywhere at this point. Schools that were "easier" to get in are getting as many apps as the other schools.

5. Triangulation

Triangulation 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist

THAT QUOTE IS OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

6. Heyyyyy

Heyyyyy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Safety school??
    New pharmacy schools(first class application). For example, two new schools will open in 2005, texas a&m and another in the appalacian(sp?) mountains.

7. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

which school in the appalachian mountains are you talking about? Appalachian State University?

8. jemc2000

jemc2000 SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

What is really tough is like in my case where there is only one COP I can go to. So if I don't get into UF, I will either have to keep apply to wear them down :laugh: or change fields at that point. :( Neither option makes me happy. But I keep plugging along.

9. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Charleston isn't gonna happen next year.

10. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I wasn't aware that Charleston was 2006. Thanks for letting me know.:)

11. gdk420

gdk420 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There is talk that UC Irvine might start a pharmacy school soon so that means more pharmacy school in kali. :D

12. eddie269

eddie269 Still in shock...
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    wow. so many new pharmacy schools opening up. I guess I know where to send more applications! THANKS for the info. I will do more research on AACP's website to try and find out the specific pre-req's.

List more info for us "less than stellar" gpa guys. or gals :)

13. eddie269

eddie269 Still in shock...
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    OK, did a bit of research and where does it say those schools listed above will open up for next year (2005)? And the only school listed above I couldn't find is Texas A&M.

And on a side note, how come Hawaii isn't found on any of these lists?

14. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm not sure why Hawaii isn't listed on there.

In regards to Texas A&M, I have friends that used to live here (Tampa Bay) that just moved back home to Corpus Christi, TX, and right now they attend the campus at Kingsville (?). They told me prior to moving that the guidance counselors told them that their pharmacy school would be opening in 2005. Hope this helps.

15. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

Can anyone give me information on the school set to open at University of North Texas - Ft. Worth?

Shannon

16. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

Info on future TX pharmacy schools:

The School of Pharmacy at TX A&M Kingsville is set to start upper-level classes in Fall 2005
    http://www.tamuk.edu/pharmacy/information/timeline.shtml

and the School of Pharmacy at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio is set to start upper-level classes in Fall 2006.
    http://www.uiw.edu/alumni/newsletter/2004-02.html

I grew up in South Texas and it is pretty exciting that the first professional school to be established in South Texas is the pharmacy school at TX A&M Kingsville. Very cool!

Shannon