Saint James school of medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BP87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on this forum go to this school or know someone that does? any alumni? I'm considering this school and would love to know about your experience there, good and bad.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone on this forum go to this school or know someone that does? any alumni? I'm considering this school and would love to know about your experience there, good and bad.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

I currently attend there. I know several alumnis who went there. And a good number of them got 99s on the Step 1. However, I advise you to go to this school as a last resort. The school will give you the basic foundation of medicine but you have to to separately study to get a higher score in the Step 1.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You just described every medical school in the world with that sentence. I went there and scored 14 points above the average AMG score on Step 1, so there's that. The school has some awesome teachers, and some not so good teachers, just like every school. In the end, it's not the school that matters, it's the student.

In the end they both matter... most of the Caribbean school graduates are not allowed licensing in California. SJSM being one of them.

In the end they both matter... most of the Caribbean school graduates are not allowed licensing in California. SJSM being one of them.

Even though they say that...the school is also not licensed in NY but I know of one alumni, Ahmad (last name not written for his privacy) who started his residency in NY last year. So if you have the will you can do it. I suggest the best thing for anyone who wants to know about the school is to talk to the students who attend at SJSM or the students who graduated from there.

Even though they say that...the school is also not licensed in NY but I know of one alumni, Ahmad (last name not written for his privacy) who started his residency in NY last year. So if you have the will you can do it. I suggest the best thing for anyone who wants to know about the school is to talk to the students who attend at SJSM or the students who graduated from there.

NY, FL, NJ, TX, etc... are different. You can jump through a few hoops to get licensed there. California is a different story.

"The education and training received at an unrecognized or disapproved medical school is not acceptable for licensure in California."

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

NY, FL, NJ, TX, etc... are different. You can jump through a few hoops to get licensed there. California is a different story.

"The education and training received at an unrecognized or disapproved medical school is not acceptable for licensure in California."

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

It just needs time to be established....I went to the site and checked to find that Mymensingh Medical College is an approved school. Mymensingh is my hometown, which is in the South Asians country of Bangladesh. Bangladesh is a 3rd world country; however that school was established long time ago. So I think the approved schools are schools that have been established 20+ years ago. SJSM is only ten years ago.

It just needs time to be established....I went to the site and checked to find that Mymensingh Medical College is an approved school. Mymensingh is my hometown, which is in the South Asians country of Bangladesh. Bangladesh is a 3rd world country; however that school was established long time ago. So I think the approved schools are schools that have been established 20+ years ago. SJSM is only ten years ago.

Schools must be at least 10 years old to apply to get on the California approved list. If the school gets denied from California it will be on the "disapproved" which will put them on the disapproved list of many other states.

Spartan is 10 years old and they applied and got put on the disapproved list.

Just because the school is in a 3rd world country does not mean their education is subpar. India is a 3rd world country and they have many schools approved in California.

Also just because the school gets on the list doesn't mean that previous graduates may now apply for California licensure.... I'm not sure, but I don't think its retroactive. (if someone has a source stating otherwise I will retract my statement)