You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Saint matthews university loans.
Started by aizquierdo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi!
Glad you are interested in SMU and loans are definitely seem to be a concern for a lot of students. They don't participate in FAFSA as they are not yet accredited with AVMA. Personally, I an dual enrolled in the Davenport MBA program that allows access to FAFSA loans. Other students participate in other graduate level degrees such as veterinary forensics and advanced reproduction. Your current student loan debt will determine how much you have left available. Since you'd be getting funds for a graduate program, you can take out $138,500 max (undergrad/ grad/professional school combined). *If you were getting loans for an accredited vet school, the mac is ~$250K* This allows me to pay for both programs. I also do the Grad. Plus loan. Some people do the dual program and are able to get personal loans.
There aren't any banks on Island that are willing to loan as there is no way for them to recall the loan if a student defaults once back in the US.
You can email me if you have more questions ([email protected]). I just finished up my 3rd semester. 🙂
Glad you are interested in SMU and loans are definitely seem to be a concern for a lot of students. They don't participate in FAFSA as they are not yet accredited with AVMA. Personally, I an dual enrolled in the Davenport MBA program that allows access to FAFSA loans. Other students participate in other graduate level degrees such as veterinary forensics and advanced reproduction. Your current student loan debt will determine how much you have left available. Since you'd be getting funds for a graduate program, you can take out $138,500 max (undergrad/ grad/professional school combined). *If you were getting loans for an accredited vet school, the mac is ~$250K* This allows me to pay for both programs. I also do the Grad. Plus loan. Some people do the dual program and are able to get personal loans.
There aren't any banks on Island that are willing to loan as there is no way for them to recall the loan if a student defaults once back in the US.
You can email me if you have more questions ([email protected]). I just finished up my 3rd semester. 🙂
Sorry. been mia for a while. The acceptance point had passed by then anyways. Thank for the info. I'll probably do that this go around. Does it completely cover both or is there a portion you end up having to cover after?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Soo...I don't know how expensive St Matthews is but I would apply to the North American schools to try and reduce cost. School loans will rule your life when you're done, and the more you have the more difficult it will be to pay them off. Think about your financial situation and what you're comfortable with paying back at the end of it all (also what your salary will be coming out of school).
And think about all the extra exams outside of the NAVLE that have to be taken, which can total up to thousands of dollars and you may never pass them, meaning you may never be able to pay back on your loans working as a vet.
Basically from someone I have personally heard from who went to SMU, don't go. Avoid going there if at all possible.
Basically from someone I have personally heard from who went to SMU, don't go. Avoid going there if at all possible.
Sorry. been mia for a while. The acceptance point had passed by then anyways. Thank for the info. I'll probably do that this go around. Does it completely cover both or is there a portion you end up having to cover after?
I am a scholarship recipient ($2K/ semester) and my husband lives on island with me, so he works (one of the benefits of Grand Cayman vs. St. Kitts) so I don't have to pay for housing out of my loan money. So, for me, I am able to cover tuition in full. Also, SMU has rolling enrollment, so you can apply at anytime and new classes start each semester.
Soo...I don't know how expensive St Matthews is but I would apply to the North American schools to try and reduce cost. School loans will rule your life when you're done, and the more you have the more difficult it will be to pay them off. Think about your financial situation and what you're comfortable with paying back at the end of it all (also what your salary will be coming out of school).
Tuition is typically around $13K US per semester, but you go year round, so 3 semesters ~ $40K/yr
And think about all the extra exams outside of the NAVLE that have to be taken, which can total up to thousands of dollars and you may never pass them, meaning you may never be able to pay back on your loans working as a vet.
Currently, in addition to the NAVLE, you can choose to sit the PAVE ($1800) and/or ECFVG (~$6K). Most states in the US accept PAVE, so most students take this exam and it is set up similar to NAVLE. The ECFVG is more expensive and has a hands-on practical portion. It has a few more hoops to jump through, so most student choose not to take it if possible. If you are a good student and can pass your classes, passing these exams shouldn't be anymore difficult than the NAVLE or if you went to a different school IMO.
Currently, in addition to the NAVLE, you can choose to sit the PAVE ($1800) and/or ECFVG (~$6K). Most states in the US accept PAVE, so most students take this exam and it is set up similar to NAVLE. The ECFVG is more expensive and has a hands-on practical portion. It has a few more hoops to jump through, so most student choose not to take it if possible. If you are a good student and can pass your classes, passing these exams shouldn't be anymore difficult than the NAVLE or if you went to a different school IMO.
Except as you and I have discussed many times before. And I have posted the direct information from these actual sources to you before when you have asked for it because you didn't believe me, the pass rates for these exams are consistently less than 50%... so "your opinion" means crap when the data actually out there shows that the pass rates are not that great.
D
deleted498041
I am a scholarship recipient ($2K/ semester) and my husband lives on island with me, so he works (one of the benefits of Grand Cayman vs. St. Kitts) so I don't have to pay for housing out of my loan money. So, for me, I am able to cover tuition in full. Also, SMU has rolling enrollment, so you can apply at anytime and new classes start each semester.
What does this mean? Spouses/partners can live on the island with vet students at St. Kitts and in Grenada...
I suspect she means her spouse can get a Job on the island?What does this mean? Spouses/partners can live on the island with vet students at St. Kitts and in Grenada...
D
deleted498041
But spouses can get jobs on the island at St. Kitts... I know because I looked into it for a hot minute.I suspect she means her spouse can get a Job on the island?