Salaries for Academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fastball32

Fastball
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering on taking an Attending position at the university program where I'm training.
It looks like the starting full-time salary is around $120k for a board-elligible Attending.
Once becoming board certified, the pay increases to about 130-150k per year.
Is this a reasonable salary for academics?
I know a few of my colleagues will make about double this salary right after graduation, but there's more to life than just making money.

Was wondering what were approximate salaries for Academic spots around the nation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm considering on taking an Attending position at the university program where I'm training.
It looks like the starting full-time salary is around $120k for a board-elligible Attending.
Once becoming board certified, the pay increases to about 130-150k per year.
Is this a reasonable salary for academics?
I know a few of my colleagues will make about double this salary right after graduation, but there's more to life than just making money.

Was wondering what were approximate salaries for Academic spots around the nation.

is there any potential for salary supplementation by seeing psych outpts as part of the faculty psychiatry group practice or through other clinical activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my research on academic positions, that salary seems reasonable. I haven't been able to access it, but there is a website that give average academic salaries:

https://services.aamc.org/dsportal2...&appname=FSSREPORTS&frompermissionscheck=true

Another thing that could be very helpful is to apply to other academic positions in surrounding areas. If those salaries are higher, you might be able to get a better starting salary in negotiations.

As you know, you are definitely going to take a pay cut by working in an academic center. This has been a cold look at reality for myself. Also, it seems like the bigger the name of the institution, the lower the salary...It's so funny how that works. Unfortunately, the area I want to move to only has "big name" academic centers and I'm looking at a big cut in salary if I work out of one of them. Do I really want to take a 30 to 50K hit to say "I work for Big Name Psychiatric Hospital X"? Not really.