Salary after paying malpractice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BATiger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke with a physician today who gave me the usual horror study about ob/gyn and how I won't be able to afford to practice...etc. I live in one of the "crisis" states and she said she knows collegues who had to quit once their insurance rates reached 300K. $300,000?!?!?! Holy crap! Is this seriously a possibility? I have always wanted to do OB, it is the reason I am in med school. But now I will be sitting on $200k of debt... it is starting to freak me out! I know that no one likes to talk about salary but, I need a straight answer. When the national average salary is listed as $250K, is that before or after paying costs like insurance? And if you are a hospital employee and have your insurance paid for you, what is the ballpark salary?
I just want some clear answers.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When the national average salary is listed as $250K, is that before or after paying costs like insurance?

That is after. Malpractice is overhead (pre-salary).

Each region of country is very different for salary.

For San Francisco Bay area, common starting salary range for new grads right out of residency is from ~$180 k/yr for private practice (earn less early on then much more as a partner-commonly $400) to $200 k/yr for Kaiser (folks mention attendings end up around $300k).

And no krazed malpractice issues like PA and FL. Typical OBGyn annual premium in CA is $70k- paid by employer.:thumbup:

How about other locations, what have you heard?

Reactions: 1 user