Salary help for GP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredvm297

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just started a new GP job in SoCal, and I hope this can be of some use for new grads out there to help determine the going salary rate in the region. I need help to see if I am being paid reasonable/correctly/humanely. Experience - 1 year rotating internship.

Salary: Guaranteed base salary of $130,000 paid in biweekly installments plus 24% production on services, 10% on drugs and food

The way that I am being paid is that the $130,000 is divided by 26, and am paid biweekly totaling 5,000/paycheck every 2 weeks. In the month of August, I produced about $83,000 which will be a separate check (not combined into one large second paycheck). After the 24% and 10% production percentages are applied, it was about $17,000. Now while I hoped that this would be my bonus paycheck, it sadly was not. The $130,000 was divided by 12 totaling $10,833 which was used to subtract $17,000 - $10,833 totaling about $6100 for the bonus check.

Does this seem right? Honestly, looking for any input or if you all think that something is not right. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not in California so I don’t have advice on what rates usually are in that area or what should and should not be included in production, but yes, what you describe is how it usually works on pro-sal. Your earnings of everything you brought in was reportedly 17k, 10k of which the clinic already paid to you along the way as your regular salary payments, leaving 6k above and beyond your monthly salary as bonus.

Theoretically if you were on straight production you’d have gotten a check for 17k, but then you wouldn’t be getting 5-6k biweekly as a consistent salary. But you don’t get to “double dip” and get both a salary AND a full 17k check…you’ve gotta cover your salary they’re paying you before the “bonus” kicks in.

Edit: Some of the difference in math is because biweekly paychecks mean you get 26 checks/yr (I.e. there will be a couple months where you get three salary checks) and for production purposes they’re dividing your 130k total annual gross salary over 12 months of production. So you get 5k biweekly 26 times a year, but $10833 would be your monthly average if you were paid monthly (and ~5416 if paid bimonthly like on every 1st and 15th)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone,

I just started a new GP job in SoCal, and I hope this can be of some use for new grads out there to help determine the going salary rate in the region. I need help to see if I am being paid reasonable/correctly/humanely. Experience - 1 year rotating internship.

Salary: Guaranteed base salary of $130,000 paid in biweekly installments plus 24% production on services, 10% on drugs and food

The way that I am being paid is that the $130,000 is divided by 26, and am paid biweekly totaling 5,000/paycheck every 2 weeks. In the month of August, I produced about $83,000 which will be a separate check (not combined into one large second paycheck). After the 24% and 10% production percentages are applied, it was about $17,000. Now while I hoped that this would be my bonus paycheck, it sadly was not. The $130,000 was divided by 12 totaling $10,833 which was used to subtract $17,000 - $10,833 totaling about $6100 for the bonus check.

Does this seem right? Honestly, looking for any input or if you all think that something is not right. Thank you!!
Yes that is correct. Your straight salary per month (12 months per year) is $10,833. You get to take home anything you produce OVER that.

ProSal means you take home production OR salary, whichever is greater. Not both.

If your employer paid you $17k in addition to your $11k salary, and you took home a total of $28k after grossing $83k… you’d be getting paid 34% of your gross plus benefits!!! The typically used target benchmark for associate compensation is up to 25% including benefits.

Reactions: 1 users