Salary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thockenb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What can one expect to make upon getting an MPH in Environmental Health?
I just got accepted to one school and the reality of paying for it has come.

30k per year for school!!!

Am I going to be paying this degree off for the rest of my life?

Additionally, the CEPH schools seem to have more fellowship opportunities, should I go to one them?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say with authority since it's not my field in public health, but I was curious so I did a quick check on salary.com. Early level environmental engineers make ~$50 median whereas upper level ones go >$70 (but this is an Eng degree, not MPH). On the other hand, environmental compliance has a median of ~$56, and they say that a BS is required. I have a friend that started his MPH but left for a job in environmental compliance (private industry) and I'd say this is what he's making (only a few years out). If you work for the public sector, it'll probably be less... Our newspaper publishes the salaries of public employees (which I find to be really strange), but the range for Iowa seems to be in the 40's for anything environmental among state employees (but our cost of living is lower, too).

For perspective, though - I have another friend who went to Columbia to get a MSW and he's definitely not making a high income. But, you have to balance your decision about doing what makes you enjoy your work against the costs of getting there (I know it looks different when you get that first loan statement, though).

Hopefully someone actually in the field will answer your question better - just chiming in :)

thockenb said:
Hi,

Additionally, the CEPH schools seem to have more fellowship opportunities, should I go to one them?

Hihi!

Well, as I'm sure you're aware, salaries vary largely (even within a single field) based on location. From the people I've talked to, you can expect a starting salary somewhere between $40,000-60,000/year. Obviously a place like Iowa isn't going to pay as much as say, a major matropolitan city (such as NYC or LA), but then again cost of living won't be as high either. Yes, public health schools are expensive, and I think the sad truth is environmental health (at least in the beginning) doesn't pay significantly more than a solid college degree in a difficult field (engineering or hard sciences). It does however, pay significantly more than your average liberal arts degree (which runs about $30,000/year nowadays according to recent statistics). I know someone who just graduated from Berkeley with a degree in biology who is making about $60,000/year after 1-2 years, without having to do a masters degree at all. I'd seriously think about if this is something you want to do - reality is you'll be paying this off for the next 5-10 years (depending on how much you borrow). The good news is many of the health degree loans have very little interest and are stretched over a long period of time, so the payments will become managable over time. More good news is that finding a job with an MPH might be significantly easier than without a graduate degree at all, since college degrees are just too common these days while public health is a growing field.

With regards to CEPH schools - YES! Go to one of those if you possibly can. You are definately right - many fellowship opportunities are available ONLY to graduates of CEPH accredited schools. While there are many non-accredited ones out there, I think job opportunities are much better for CEPH schools. Fellowships are great in my opinion because you get to get paid, but at the same time learn and continue your training while gaining valuable work experience to put on your resume. Once you complete your fellowship and have some actual working experience, you'll be much more marketable for your next job. Fellowships know they're getting someone fresh out of school, so they'll make more allowances when it comes to having (or not having in this case) any work experience.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please write back!

Members don't see this ad :)
thockenb said:
Hi,

Hey--I feel the same way you do! Im thinking of the loans vs. the payoff of the job. I want to do an MPH in epidemiology. Does anyone know the payoff for this? I've been hearing 30-60k based starting based on location and experience, and whether its nonprofit/private/government.

AtlChic said:
Hey--I feel the same way you do! Im thinking of the loans vs. the payoff of the job. I want to do an MPH in epidemiology. Does anyone know the payoff for this? I've been hearing 30-60k based starting based on location and experience, and whether its nonprofit/private/government.

Hihi AtlChic!

Yes, that sounds about right 30-60k... although 30k might be a bit too low unless you're talking about a government job - I'd say the range might be narrower with less room at the top and bottom... I'd venture to guess the majority of them will be in the 40,000-something range or higher. If you go to the public health employment connection's website (which is a part of Emory's website), you can see just how many jobs there are for epidemiologists (and there are plenty), as well as how much some of them pay. I hope this helps!

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi AtlChic!

Yes, that sounds about right 30-60k... although 30k might be a bit too low unless you're talking about a government job - I'd say the range might be narrower with less room at the top and bottom... I'd venture to guess the majority of them will be in the 40,000-something range or higher. If you go to the public health employment connection's website (which is a part of Emory's website), you can see just how many jobs there are for epidemiologists (and there are plenty), as well as how much some of them pay. I hope this helps!

Oh yeah I check Emory's career website all the time. Well when I meant 30-60k...I was also including post-masters fellowships with ASPH or CDC...which pay in the low 30's. When I emailed the Emory Epi advisor, she said that grads with absolutely no experience...tend to get offers in the 30's and 40's...but im sure shes limiting it to the atl area as well.

And also does anyone know that to "advance" in Epi (thinking long-term) would another degree have to acquired after an MPH? Such as a phd or drph?

Hi AltChic and others:

I am a recent grad from Emory's MPH program (behav science). I work as a research coordinator for a psychiatric research study and I make $30K per year. This is extremely low, but I took this job because it gave me much-needed psych research experience that I needed to start my PhD program in clinical psych this fall. I was offered two other jobs at consulting firms in Atlanta for around $45K. I really wasn't interested in doing consulting work for organizations such as the CDC, but this may be an option for you.

I have two friends that are recent grads from Emory MPH Epi, one in NYC (making $62K a year after one year post-grad working experience) and another working in Florida (making around $45K a year, I think, for the health department).

The tuition at Emory is outrageous. I have accrued $60K in student loans during my two years there, and now pay around $500 a month (minimum). Also, the program is not all that impressive at times (large class sizes, not enough personal contact with faculty, lots of busywork, and assignments that are not very challenging). Also, it's tough to find a job in Atlanta after graduation because the market here is saturated. Something to think about........

psychapp said:
Hi AltChic and others:

I am a recent grad from Emory's MPH program (behav science). I work as a research coordinator for a psychiatric research study and I make $30K per year. This is extremely low, but I took this job because it gave me much-needed psych research experience that I needed to start my PhD program in clinical psych this fall. I was offered two other jobs at consulting firms in Atlanta for around $45K. I really wasn't interested in doing consulting work for organizations such as the CDC, but this may be an option for you.

I have two friends that are recent grads from Emory MPH Epi, one in NYC (making $62K a year after one year post-grad working experience) and another working in Florida (making around $45K a year, I think, for the health department).

The tuition at Emory is outrageous. I have accrued $60K in student loans during my two years there, and now pay around $500 a month (minimum). Also, the program is not all that impressive at times (large class sizes, not enough personal contact with faculty, lots of busywork, and assignments that are not very challenging). Also, it's tough to find a job in Atlanta after graduation because the market here is saturated. Something to think about........

Hi psychapp,
thank you for your comments I really appreciate them.
Would you say that its worth getting the degree at Emory...
I have been looking at other schools(Hopkins, Boston, UAB) and the programs seem better but the tuition is even worse than emory.
I guess I want to know if you would have done it differently, sutdied at emory that is, if you knew then what you know now....
Thanks

psychapp said:
Hi AltChic and others:

Hey...I'd love to talk more about you regarding Emory's program, as I am contemplating going there--and am really hesistating looking at the cost and amount of loans I will have vs. the actual jobs I will get. Do you mind if we talked via email? I'm not exactly sure how to PM on this thing...My name is Sheryl...and if your willing to talk via email, I'd love to ask you a few questions! I think its really great to get a neutral perspective on Emory, since everyone I talk to cant stop singing its praises. Anyhow, please email me at [email protected], if its convenient for you. Thanks--look fwd to hearing from you!