Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pril

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the average income of a neurologist?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard the average salary is about $160,000. Obviously those who are doing nothing but EMGs and sleep studies all day are making more and those with a general neurology practice are making less.

I am curious to know what the salary disparity is between those in academic medicine and those in private practice. As someone who will eventually be in academic medicine, this is not that important to me, more of a curiosity. I've been told that those in private practice make about twice as much, but I'm not sure if that was an exagerration.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is very true that neurologist in private practice made twice as much as in academc setting, but you need to see lots of more pts. academic doctor gets better life but no money/ academic doctor is for someone with on debt and lots of money from this dad.

kws

kws888 said:
it is very true that neurologist in private practice made twice as much as in academc setting, but you need to see lots of more pts. academic doctor gets better life but no money/ academic doctor is for someone with on debt and lots of money from this dad.

kws

if you want to be in the business of taking care pts. private practice is the way to go.