salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yaah, you are getting defensive needlessly. Your posts on this topic are usually really long and it is difficult for me to see what you are ultimately advocating, if anything.

Do you think pathology is training too many residents? Yes or no?
If yes, what do you think we should do about it?

Short and simple.

Fair enough - but if you don't want to take the time to read it, then don't take the time to respond in a fashion that suggests you didn't. Accusing me of being needlessly defensive when you don't even read the post is lazy.

To answer your questions, yes and I don't know. It's hard to make changes because it would punish many reasonable and qualified individuals who just happened to train at lesser programs. The boards could become more rigorous in who they certify, but that also unfairly punishes those who have done the required work. I guess any solution would have to be planned, with announced program closing and number reduction. Eliminate poorer-performing programs and stop increasing spots at large programs. It's not really a short and simple problem, even if the one-word answer is, the solution is not.

Members don't see this ad.

this thread is getting needlessly overheated. I really stand by my mountain analogy for the path job market.

If you are smart, business savvy and outgoing you WILL succeed in Path, no problem but it may take 1.) time and 2.) compromise. Be very aware of those 2 points when you are pretending to be snooty about location.

I dont think anyone is actively discouraging med students, but merely laying out the challenges. Residency goes by fast...very fast.

Had Prof. Clive Taylor once told the audience at a talk I attended early in my training: "Residency, boards, fellowship will come and be gone before you know it, dont prepare for these as much as preparation for success in life."

this thread is getting needlessly overheated. I really stand by my mountain analogy for the path job market.

If you are smart, business savvy and outgoing you WILL succeed in Path, no problem but it may take 1.) time and 2.) compromise. Be very aware of those 2 points when you are pretending to be snooty about location.

I dont think anyone is actively discouraging med students, but merely laying out the challenges. Residency goes by fast...very fast.

Had Prof. Clive Taylor once told the audience at a talk I attended early in my training: "Residency, boards, fellowship will come and be gone before you know it, dont prepare for these as much as preparation for success in life."

So how can one who is interested in the business side of pathology prepare? anything during residency one can do?