Salt bridge/ion distribution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laczlacylaci

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2016-7-23_17-38-57.png
In this picture, why does K+ go to the cathode side and Cl- go to the anode side?

Is it because of the electron flow. I noticed that in electrolytic cells, cation (ie. K+) is distributed to where the electron flows (more negative).

Members don't see this ad.

Because as your silver cations precipitate out, the K+ cations move across the salt bridge to balance the charge (losing a +charge in the cathode.). Opposite case for your anode

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Ok, I can understand that as the silver cation precipitates out, another cation comes to balance it.
But for copper (another cation) precipitates out, why does an anion balance it? Is it becuase it lost an electron?

As Copper precipitates out, positive charge will begin to accumulate at the anode, the anions will be attracted to this charge.
As long as you have your salt bridge maintaining your charge balance, the battery can continue to move electrons through oxidation/reduction reactions, you can derive electrical energy from these reactions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user