Program-Specific Info / Q's Salus University Acceptance/ New to PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otdreamer2727

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I just got accepted to Salus University in PA. I wanted to know if anyone else will be joining the program? I have applied to two other programs and am waiting to hear back from them, but Salus is a strong choice. I am from Southern California and know nothing about the area. Can anyone give me some tips? I have been looking around and it seems like I will be trading in the traffic and parking problems of LA for....more traffic and parking issues. LOL. I honestly have been so excited to leave LA, it's expensive and crowded, but Philly seems a bit of the same. Where are good/affordable places to live in the area. I need green people. I don't want to stare at a brick wall out my window. I appreciate all the help! Also, if you're from the area....what is the reputation of Salus (if there is any). Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I am a current third year student at Salus PCO. I am from South Jersey, so pretty close (45 min) to Elkins Park, PA. My first impression of this area was that it is very different from my hometown. My hometown is a mix of rural and suburban with grass, trees, and wide open spaces, but also malls and shopping centers close by (a perfect balance, in my opinion). In contrast, Elkins Park is a hilly area that is more crowded and condensed, with barely any open grassy spaces. It is definitely more of a city feel. To get into Elkins Park you also have to drive through some rougher areas of Philadelphia, which is another downside. Personally, I am not a huge fan of this area, however, I am here to learn and get my degree, so the area was not a deciding factor for me. There are many good things about Elkins Park. For one thing, Acme grocery store is just around the corner, along with an Applebees and a few other places to eat. There is also a cute shopping strip with a couple bars, a movie theater, and a brewery. Another plus is that there is a Trader Joes about 15 minutes away which is awesome. Willow Grove Mall is also very nice. Some would say another benefit is that center city/Philadelphia is close by, about 35 minutes away, but this is far in my opinion, since from South Jersey I can be in the city in 15 minutes! I still have taken trips to go out in the city from Elkins Park with my friends, and between 6 of us splitting an uber, it is not too expensive. As for places to live, I currently live at 100 York Apartments, but I would recommend living at Wyncote House or Towers (if you can afford it), as they seem like they have less issues. 100 York looks nice and new, however we have had some issues over the years like our hot water being turned off, persistent construction, heating/AC problems, and MICE! Yuck! But on the other hand we have a very nice gym, pool, and tennis court, and are conveniently located right across the street from school. Salus has a good reputation as one of the oldest optometry schools in the country. Our professors at PCO are leaders in optometry, who have made remarkable contributions to the profession. Our clinical skills lab, Simulation Lab, and The Eye Institute are also very impressive. We consistently have doctors and corporations visiting our school to attempt to recruit Salus students after graduation. While Salus is not as known to the public, it is extremely well known in the optometry community. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Hi,
I have an interview scheduled at Salus two weeks from now, how long after your interview were you accepted? Do you have any tips for the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think two weeks later I was accepted, something along those lines! I had typed out and studied a list of questions and bullet points of things I would talk about if they had asked me that question, just so I had a bank of topics to choose from.

Hello, I am a current third year student at Salus PCO. I am from South Jersey, so pretty close (45 min) to Elkins Park, PA. My first impression of this area was that it is very different from my hometown. My hometown is a mix of rural and suburban with grass, trees, and wide open spaces, but also malls and shopping centers close by (a perfect balance, in my opinion). In contrast, Elkins Park is a hilly area that is more crowded and condensed, with barely any open grassy spaces. It is definitely more of a city feel. To get into Elkins Park you also have to drive through some rougher areas of Philadelphia, which is another downside. Personally, I am not a huge fan of this area, however, I am here to learn and get my degree, so the area was not a deciding factor for me. There are many good things about Elkins Park. For one thing, Acme grocery store is just around the corner, along with an Applebees and a few other places to eat. There is also a cute shopping strip with a couple bars, a movie theater, and a brewery. Another plus is that there is a Trader Joes about 15 minutes away which is awesome. Willow Grove Mall is also very nice. Some would say another benefit is that center city/Philadelphia is close by, about 35 minutes away, but this is far in my opinion, since from South Jersey I can be in the city in 15 minutes! I still have taken trips to go out in the city from Elkins Park with my friends, and between 6 of us splitting an uber, it is not too expensive. As for places to live, I currently live at 100 York Apartments, but I would recommend living at Wyncote House or Towers (if you can afford it), as they seem like they have less issues. 100 York looks nice and new, however we have had some issues over the years like our hot water being turned off, persistent construction, heating/AC problems, and MICE! Yuck! But on the other hand we have a very nice gym, pool, and tennis court, and are conveniently located right across the street from school. Salus has a good reputation as one of the oldest optometry schools in the country. Our professors at PCO are leaders in optometry, who have made remarkable contributions to the profession. Our clinical skills lab, Simulation Lab, and The Eye Institute are also very impressive. We consistently have doctors and corporations visiting our school to attempt to recruit Salus students after graduation. While Salus is not as known to the public, it is extremely well known in the optometry community. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Thanks this was awesome! You hear anything about Melrose place apts? It’s on 902 Valley road

I live in the Philly area (Fishtown neighborhood), but one of the high schools I work at is in Roxborough, which is a nice area because it's so close to Wissahickon Park. This park has lots of low-intensity hiking trails. Traffic isn't too bad in the area (definitely not like LA). Roxborough has more families and a more suburban feel than downtown. I'm not familiar with apartment buildings there, but I'm sure there are a few. Also, it's about a 24 minute drive from Elkins Park. Other neighborhoods to consider with trees are East Falls and Mount Airy.

Can any PCO student say what the holiday/summer breaks are like at school? Every summer off?

Got my acceptance today!!! So excited! Is there a Facebook group?